My rhythm guitarist and bass player aren't helping with the band and generally acting like they don't care. They have songs for weeks and when we practice them, the drummer, me and the other lead guitar, the keyboard player, and the vocalist have to wait for them to stare at the tabs and figure it out. We have been trying to get gigs and the ones that we have had have been great, except for the performance of those 2 members. They don't help in the songwriting process; when asked what we should do at a certain point in a song the response is always along the lines of "Breakdown." and when we say "Seriously." the response is "Breakdown...with cowbell."

For those of you that are saying "Kick them out, idiot.", we took forever to find the bass player did, and we do need the three guitars because it's part of our sound.

So basically, it's kick them out and redo our sound or deal with their crap until we find replacements. And finding replacements would be very hard since we live in the sticks of the sticks of the sticks in Arkansas.

I wanna kick their sorry asses out and so do most of the other guys, but they want other peoples opinions (which I agree with) and where can we get better opinions than other musicians? So, thanks if you reply.
They sound like dicks, to be quite honest, they would already be gone if it were my band. If they are impeding band progress, and aren't really good mates with any of you, get rid of them.

That's just what I'd do though...
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by MicahChaney
yes, it's not a matter of to kick them out or not. It's a now or later type thing.

Well, if they are causing you problems during gigs and songwriting, then I would suggest now rather than later. The longer they stay in the band, the more they will become attached to the band and feel that they are an integral part of it. So, now, not later imo...
train some replacements for them first, then when they get good enough kick the "idiots" out
Quote by guitarvinnie
train some replacements for them first, then when they get good enough kick the "idiots" out

This truly harsh and dishonest but sounds like a plan. You could just audition people in secret and sack the assholes in your bands when you find people good enough to replace them. It wouldn't be the nicest thing to do but it would work.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Wait. Do you seriously have 3 guitarists? Why do you need a third anyways!

unless your april wine or lyrnyrd skynyrd i seriously dounbt you need three guitarists as much as you think you do. the larger the band the less tight your live preformance will be(it's harder for 5 people to play together than 4... and you can overdub in the studio...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by guitarvinnie

Quote by SilentHeaven109

This truly harsh and dishonest but sounds like a plan. You could just audition people in secret and sack the assholes in your bands when you find people good enough to replace them. It wouldn't be the nicest thing to do but it would work.

I just got back from hanging out with the rest of the band and we decided to go this route We figure it's best for the band because we really do want to make this work, and those guys really drag down the rest of us. Thanks a lot for your input SilentHeaven109 and guitarvinnie!

Quote by Highwaytohell
Wait. Do you seriously have 3 guitarists? Why do you need a third anyways!

What we do is have the rhythm doing some really cool chord progressions while we play harmonized leads over it. The original thing was to have the lead playing over the rhythm, but the drummer also plays guitar and we were just screwing around one day and we had him do the chord progression to one of our songs and the other guitarist and I harmonized the lead in 3rds. It sounded really cool and we can do some neat things with our songs because of the layering we can do.
Quote by MicahChaney

What we do is have the rhythm doing some really cool chord progressions while we play harmonized leads over it. The original thing was to have the lead playing over the rhythm, but the drummer also plays guitar and we were just screwing around one day and we had him do the chord progression to one of our songs and the other guitarist and I harmonized the lead in 3rds. It sounded really cool and we can do some neat things with our songs because of the layering we can do.

You could do one of the following:

1. Get a Loop pedal and record the background rhythem before hand and do the leads together. In the studio you could just as easily record the rhythem part as well.

2. If I am understanding the way this pedal works, you can get an octave pedal and switch leads with the other guitarist. This way you play the lead by yourself, but with the octave pedal you get the same effect you would with 2 leads. Of course,I could be misunderstanding how this pedal works, in which case this idea is thrown out.

You could also get a 3rd guitarist if you really want to But since you said there aren't a lot of musicians around, it might just be easier to do one of the above.
Quote by SilentHeaven109

I can attest for this being a tried and true method. We tried out a couple dozen people before the guys in our band ended up quitting anyway. Had they not quit and we found replacements before they decided to leave, we would've booted there asses and been on with the band.

For the harmony thing, get a harmonizer pedal (like the digitech one or the whammy IV which comes with great sounding harmonizing options...the whammy IV sucks some treble from your tone I find though) and just have the other player do the third harmony or the rhythm part? Sounds like a simple solution to me.
Quote by MicahChaney
My rhythm guitarist and bass player aren't helping with the band and generally acting like they don't care. They have songs for weeks and when we practice them, the drummer, me and the other lead guitar, the keyboard player, and the vocalist have to wait for them to stare at the tabs and figure it out. We have been trying to get gigs and the ones that we have had have been great, except for the performance of those 2 members. They don't help in the songwriting process; when asked what we should do at a certain point in a song the response is always along the lines of "Breakdown." and when we say "Seriously." the response is "Breakdown...with cowbell."

For those of you that are saying "Kick them out, idiot.", we took forever to find the bass player did, and we do need the three guitars because it's part of our sound.

I laughed at the "cowbell" comment. Funny guys!

Now you say that you had great gigs with the exception of the bass and rhythm guitar. That is impossible. A band is a unit functioning as one, not separate parts that you can separate. Your gigs then were just not good, not even close to it if you had two musicians who weren't up to scratch on the day.

You don't need 3 guitarists either, as others have mentioned above. It sounds nowhere near as good as you think it does. Many bands with harmonising leads do not have an additional rhythm player to fill in the rest. That guitar is laid down on the album.

It's obvious that these guys don't really want to be in a band if they couldn't be bothered learning the songs. Just kick them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by MicahChaney
Yeah, we kicked them. And apparently we're all arrogant because of it.

Forget them, now. They are gone, they were dicks, don't let anything they might have said affect you now. I feel sorry for them if they mistake even the smallest of ambition and work ethic for arrogance.
Sorry but you aren't going to like this. Kick them out.

A "band" should never cater to a member or two. If I were you, I would look around for new members on local ad sites or even guitar stores. These guys are riding your band like a pony and you guys are accepting it. It is time for you guys to ride their ass off a cliff and move on.
Quote by herman ri2
**i didn't read this thread before responding.**

fixed.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
It's like I've said time and time again...
Murder is the answer here. If murder doesn't solve all of your problems, then you just haven't committed enough murder.
BUY MURDER TODAY!
Quote by GrisKy
It's like I've said time and time again...
Murder is the answer here. If murder doesn't solve all of your problems, then you just haven't committed enough murder.
BUY MURDER TODAY!

This is NOT the Pit. I come here for serious advice threads, not the regular fap/I cum blood stuff I get in that...place
Quote by SilentHeaven109
This is NOT the Pit. I come here for serious advice threads, not the regular fap/I cum blood stuff I get in that...place

sorry, but i can only read "kick him out" or "dude, talk to him" so many times before i start to advise murder.
Quote by GrisKy
sorry, but i can only read "kick him out" or "dude, talk to him" so many times before i start to advise murder.

I know what you mean, think I'm gonna have to make an "Only Band Member Problem" thread, and just list all the things that people ask about, most of which are common sense, so I don't see "My band aren't commited" or "Should I date my singer?" every day.

Or maybe I just can't be bothered to write all that. Anyone else wanna do it?