my strings and my wallet have been going through quite a hard time with the amount of practice ive been doing, i sweat a lot and after putting new strings on they get dull after 1 or 2 days and they dont last very long

can someone recommend me a good string cleaner i can use

ive been recommended ghs fast fret and tsc the string cleaner but i'd like some other opinions?
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Have you tried different brands. I can burn through a set of Ernie Ball strings in a few hours while D'Addario will last me upwards of 3 months.

String cleaners are basically an alcohol or ammonia based cleaner such as 409, Fantastic, windex. Dunlop has some string cleaner stuff, smells and tastes exactly like windex.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Have you tried different brands. I can burn through a set of Ernie Ball strings in a few hours while D'Addario will last me upwards of 3 months.

String cleaners are basically an alcohol or ammonia based cleaner such as 409, Fantastic, windex. Dunlop has some string cleaner stuff, smells and tastes exactly like windex.

i normally use d'addario 10's and i like the sound of them but they just dont seem to last me very long but my guitar does a lot of running about
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Quote by MESAexplorer

...and tastes?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
well ive heard mostly good things about ghs fast fret so i think ill try that thanks

/thread
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Quote by JagerSlushy
...and tastes?

I drink half a bottle every day to keep from streaking.

Sorry to the comedian I stole that from.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I use Dunlop string cleaner on my .10-.52 D'addarios, works an absolute charm. Check this out:

Granted the cloth was used over a few weeks but u can see the amount of dirt that comes off the strings. Especially in summer the strings get very dirty and sluggy after a session of guitar, i play 4 hours a day so string cleaner is necessary to prolong their life. Dunno about the other brands though but any good string cleaner is definately worth it.
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Megadeth09
I use Dunlop string cleaner on my .10-.52 D'addarios, works an absolute charm. Check this out:

Granted the cloth was used over a few weeks but u can see the amount of dirt that comes off the strings. Especially in summer the strings get very dirty and sluggy after a session of guitar, i play 4 hours a day so string cleaner is necessary to prolong their life. Dunno about the other brands though but any good string cleaner is definately worth it.

jesus. do you wash your hands before you play or work on a car and then play? dunlop string cleaner works well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Haha i pretty much wake up, eat, brush my teeth, wash hands etc then play for 4 hours straight. I clean the strings about once a week. In the summer i clean them more regularly. Im pretty hard on the scrubbing with the cloth too. Then i apply the string cleaner again and go over them one more time.
Quote by Megadeth09
Haha i pretty much wake up, eat, brush my teeth, wash hands etc then play for 4 hours straight. I clean the strings about once a week. In the summer i clean them more regularly. Im pretty hard on the scrubbing with the cloth too. Then i apply the string cleaner again and go over them one more time.

i forget to clean my strings a lot and a month will pass and my clothes don't look like that. that's insane. and i also forget to wash my hands before i play. thats after playing with my dog who loves mud and riding my bmx bicycle.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Megadeth09
Dunno what to say buddy Do you use a string cleaner too?

yeah. dunlop string cleaner. i guess my hands don't collect dirt like yours. i dont know if i feel happy about this or if im some kind of dirt shedding freak... i guess that wouldnt be a bad thing though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Megadeth09
How often do you play? Like how many hours a day?

depends on the day. 2+ plus hours. i don't really play a set amount or strive to play a set amount. if im having an off day i just put the guitar down. ill just set a goal to work on some riffs that i have in my head or ill try and come up with some new shit to work on.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Well for now you should try (Ernie Ball?) String wipes, I tried them on a set of dirty strings and they proved sufficient.

But consider getting Elixir strings, they're the best, longest lasting strings I've tried, and I've tried a lot of strings. Other coated strings (D'adarrio EXP comes to mind) are good too, but if you want coated, Elixirs are the best in that division.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Invest in Ernie Ball Titaniums. Rust proof. or Elixers
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I