my friend from school offered to sell me a tanara electric guitar today for a cheap price, i have never heard of this brand and was wondering if its a guitar that worth the buy, i've read around on the net and seen reviews saying it is a great guitar and at about the same level as a high end ibanez, so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this brand if they are good, how they sound, and if i should buy it

pic
Attachments:
Guitar.JPG
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
looks like it's got a Kahler... and it appears to be a generic '80s superstrat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I understand that the newer models are just cheap strat knock offs. This is a early model solid body. Prob produced around 1990. Any reviews I can find of early Tanara guitars are quite in favor of them. I am looking for someone that can give me honest answers, because they have played one or own one. I dont need to hear what people think, I want to hear what people KNOW about them.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
I can't really speak about the electrics. I have a classical Tanara, and it has a very sweet voice. I bought it in the mid eighties. My guitar teacher had gone to the music store and played a lot of guitars before she found one that was just right for another of her students, at a reasonable price. When that student gave up on guitar, my teacher brokered a deal for me to buy this guitar.

I was told that the secret was that Tanaras were made by cheap labor in Korea, but that every once in a while one of those cheap laborers turned out to be a real craftsman in disguise. I can't tell you how accurate this is.

In general, your best bet when buying a guitar is to play it and see what you think of it. If, for some reason, you don't trust your own ear, find someone whose ear you do trust, and ask that person to play it and tell you what they think. I would never consider buying a guitar online, except perhaps one of those "campfire" guitars that disassembles, that I saw in the magazines decades ago.

MargretRose
That necrobump.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.