Well I just got EMG 81/85 pickups installed on my guitar and I left all the settings on my amp and my distortion pedal the same as when I dropped off the guitar to have the pickups installed and when I get home I try pinch harmonics and I can do them but they come out a lot quieter. Any explanations? Maybe the change to pro pickups makes me need new cables? Get a better distortion pedal because mine can't handle the pickups? (I have a Boss Ds-1 Distortion)
forget about the pedal, a new amp will have you enjoying those pickups.

also:

re-EQ your amp.
how close to the strings are the pickups ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Technique.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
yeah, both amps you have are pretty bad.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you really think it's a problem you can raise the pickups so they're higher up (closer to strings). That way they will be more responsive and harmonics will be louder.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
While we're on the same-ish subject, I know I can do pinched harmonics, but on one of my guitars, it's slightly impossible. Maybe I'm used to playing ten gauge strings because that guitar has nines. Is it usually more difficult to do pinched harmonics on nine gauge strings?
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by mikeyElite
forget about the pedal, a new amp will have you enjoying those pickups.

also:

re-EQ your amp.
how close to the strings are the pickups ?

They're basically directly under the strings. I'm using a Marshall MG30FX and it sounded fine with pinch harmonics on my kkv before but now I can barely hear them. I could pull them off so easy and I can pull them off easy on my other guitar still
are you using an old battery ?
If you're having that many issues with pinch harmonics it's almost definitely your technique, just practice them.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
did you try turning the volume knob on your guitar up?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by mikeyElite
are you using an old battery ?

No. I just got the battery put in. I'm going to try a few things out first like a new battery. OD2 Channel and other stuff and hopefully it will work out.
Quote by buddyboombotz
While we're on the same-ish subject, I know I can do pinched harmonics, but on one of my guitars, it's slightly impossible. Maybe I'm used to playing ten gauge strings because that guitar has nines. Is it usually more difficult to do pinched harmonics on nine gauge strings?

it is slightly easier to perform pinch harmonics on thicker strings, but if you have a good technique, you should be able to hear them pretty decently on any string gauge plugged in or unplugged. my strat has 9's and my schecter has 11's. pinch harmonics come easy on the schecter and they sound great. on the strat, they're just a little weaker, but it's not too noticeable. i'm also referring to them when they're unplugged. when playing through the amp, its so much easier to hear them. it still comes down to good technique. there are some eq settings that will kill out harmonics or make them weaker, but you just have to mess with the eq til you get it to the tone you love and makes everything sound great (in your opinion). the height of the pickups also affect your harmonics as well. so will neck scale length, intonation and (very minorly) the body woods and neck woods.

/rant
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Also I noticed while i was playing the crazy train solo that the tapping part at the beginning wasn't coming out anymore. It was extremely quiet just like the pinch harmonics. What's up with taht?
you might actually have the pickups too high. they are magnets that pull on the strings. if they're up to high, they will kill a lot of sustain.
Quote by pedromiles101
EMGs have really weak magnetic pull. the closer the better, as long as they aren't making contact with the strings when you fret.
Bring the strings reallly close, Re-EQ your amp and if you aren't lazy, you could buy 1meg pots. They would sound awesome with the EMGs.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
you could buy 1meg pots. They would sound awesome with the EMGs.

that would make them ridiculously noisy, wouldn't it ?
Quote by V.U.K
Bring the strings reallly close, Re-EQ your amp and if you aren't lazy, you could buy 1meg pots. They would sound awesome with the EMGs.

Actives don't work like passives. anything higher than 100k will simply act like a switch. Either full volume (and HUGE gain loss) or no volume.
Quote by Invader Jim
Actives don't work like passives.
True. Actives don't have the series inductance, so the tone doesn't brighten by increasing the resistance.

Quote by Invader Jim
anything higher than 100k will simply act like a switch. Either full volume (and HUGE gain loss) or no volume.
True for 2-volume wiring.
For 1-volume, 1-tone, Actives will behave just fine with high resistance pots.

But it gains you nothing in tone AND it gives back some of the improvement you got, in terms of lower hum and noise. There's no benefit to using high resistance pots unless you're using both Active and Passive pickups in the same guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.