Page 1 of 2
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS
270 IQ
I used the search bar and couldn't find a thread so here it is, the Scale The Summit thread.

I saw them at Prog Nation, and found them really cool, so I checked out Monument and Carving Desert Canyons, and fell in love.

What do you guys think ?

Can you handle Chris' Letchford's insane 8 string guitar skills ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
mashizz
41 IQ
i really like them. i also think it's pretty cool how he doesn't have the traditional F# as the top string
Slicer666
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeei-
30 IQ
awesome, CDC is a really good album to listen to on those lazy mornings when you don't want to wake up.

If only they'd perform in Holland
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
TeamSttg
Handsome Squidward
10 IQ
I fell in love after the first listen I hope they get more well known.
Prog flavored juice ... You tried it yet?

Shameless plot to promote zee band.
Shed 31
I-am-hollywood
50 IQ
Their kinda boringg as far as indtrumental music goes I personally perfer animals as leaders they wipe the floor with them musicly.
kamikaz1_k
31 IQ
"wipe the floor" i think is being overdramatic, but Animals as Leaders are a great find, thanks for posting.
Are You a PROG-HEAD?
I am.

\m|_ metal _|m/
guitarhugo
10 IQ
Those guys are REALLY talented and i love this band...it would be better if they could get a singer but i mean...THEY MAKE DREAM THEATER'S FIRST PART AND THEY ARE ONLY AVERAGE 20 YRS OLD...i really like this band
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
50 IQ
Quote by I-am-hollywood
Their kinda boringg as far as indtrumental music goes I personally perfer animals as leaders they wipe the floor with them musicly.

I disagree. STS is far more melodic and song oriented, despite the immense technicality. AaL is sometimes too much too fast.

This band is amazing.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
wizards?
50 IQ
I saw them on Prog Nation as well in Minnesota and they were amazing. I didn't have the cash to get their CD at the show because I bought a Dream Theater and a Zappa shirt, but the next day I was at my local record shop the second it opened to buy both of their CD's.

I got to meet them too, they're pretty cool guys.
Nolan4
Wannabe Shreder
20 IQ
Yeah I was really happy when I heard they were gonna be on PN09 even though I did miss beardfish. I got both their albums and am loving them.
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
GnikNus
April Fool
10 IQ
I saw them with Protest the Hero and Misery Signals (i know, weird line up) and thought they were great. Also, they're from Houston so that's a nice plus for me

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
50 IQ
got their new album. excellent.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you
183 IQ
They're a fantastic band, I just hope they can achieve the recognition they deserve without a singer.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,715 IQ
I love these guys. I bought their tab book, and got a bunch of stickers, a bottle opener, and a handwritten message from the band! Pretty awesome.
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
cfrank
10 IQ
These guys and Tetrafusion are the next prog heros for me. They released both great albuns.
ironmaidengirl3
UG's non-conformist
10 IQ
A lot of people say that they should get a singer, but I completely disagree. I think it would kind of ruin them, seeing as how the guitar does all the singing
E-Married to Eddie4President

ARMENIAN

Quote by VANGELIS!
Ya, my mom walked in on me taking a **** into my coffee mug when I was 23. There was a spider in the bathroom and I was too scared to go in

Quote by angusfan16
I'll join. I have a vagina.
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse
751 IQ
Quote by ironmaidengirl3
A lot of people say that they should get a singer, but I completely disagree. I think it would kind of ruin them, seeing as how the guitar does all the singing

+infinity
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
TeamSttg
Handsome Squidward
10 IQ
Yeah I'm listening to them now and I don't know how a singer would fit into it without changing the whole style.

Shed 31
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
91 IQ
ok I haven't heard this band before. I'd like to check 'em out, but to save myself the wasted bandwidth - I think Dream Theater currently is a cancerous lesion on the face of music, and I think the Umphrey's McGee are currently the real successors to "progressive rock" music. I still love Porcupine Tree's older albums to death.

And I think Rusty Cooley is the reason why there is still genocide in this world.

Should be I listening to this band? Now that I've somewhat contextualized a part of my musical taste.
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse
751 IQ
scale the summit play at reasonable speeds lol its not neo classical runs and sweeps.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
cfrank
10 IQ
Quote by Axegrinder#9
ok I haven't heard this band before. I'd like to check 'em out, but to save myself the wasted bandwidth - I think Dream Theater currently is a cancerous lesion on the face of music, and I think the Umphrey's McGee are currently the real successors to "progressive rock" music. I still love Porcupine Tree's older albums to death.

And I think Rusty Cooley is the reason why there is still genocide in this world.

Should be I listening to this band? Now that I've somewhat contextualized a part of my musical taste.

Wat. Mega speed has nothing to do with STS. They are technical though all of their songs contain uber-awesome melodies.
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,715 IQ
Scale The Summit are definitely one of the most tasteful instrumental bands I've heard outside of post-rock.

Even so, it may still be too "shreddy" for you? It's slow enough where there are actual melodies, but even so...
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
Squifey
Your Signal Is Fading...
690 IQ
I love the tapping riff in The Great Plains.

Does anyone have this hoodie by them?

http://scalethesummit.bigcartel.com/product/age-of-the-tide-zip-up-hoodie-american-apparel-new

I think it's pretty cool, but I don't want to buy it, and it like shrink on me, or be too thin.
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
91 IQ
Quote by travislausch
Scale The Summit are definitely one of the most tasteful instrumental bands I've heard outside of post-rock.

Even so, it may still be too "shreddy" for you? It's slow enough where there are actual melodies, but even so...

I listen to John McLaughlin 24/7 so I can handle a lil' bit o speed here n there. Since the term post-rock was used, is this band anything like Tortoise? (In particular, the way they sound on the album "Standards").
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Oct 25, 2009,
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,715 IQ
Quote by Axegrinder#9
I listen to John McLaughlin 24/7 so I can handle a lil' bit o speed here n there. Since the term post-rock was used, is this band anything like Tortoise? (In particular, the way they sound on the album "Standards").

I don't know Tortoise at all, so I can't really answer that.

But I can say that they do have the occasional "post-rock-ish" moments, like the aforementioned tapping riff in "The Great Plains" (it's not as shreddy as it sounds, it's actually a clean chord progression they're tapping out).

I have the tab book, and there's rarely anything faster than an eighth note in it. They seem to rely a lot on chordal arpeggios and what I call "super-slowed-down shred licks". Sometimes, they look more like exercises than songs. But they flow really well and sound pretty kickass.
cfrank
10 IQ
Quote by travislausch
I don't know Tortoise at all, so I can't really answer that.

But I can say that they do have the occasional "post-rock-ish" moments, like the aforementioned tapping riff in "The Great Plains" (it's not as shreddy as it sounds, it's actually a clean chord progression they're tapping out).

I have the tab book, and there's rarely anything faster than an eighth note in it. They seem to rely a lot on chordal arpeggios and what I call "super-slowed-down shred licks". Sometimes, they look more like exercises than songs. But they flow really well and sound pretty kickass.

This. Most of their songs have like 1 3 5 (fretwise thingy.) like this:
-----3----
--1-------

An by most of their songs i mean all. Monument is also cool. Impossible to dislike "Crossing The Ocean".
Jarusafes
53 IQ
They are such an incredible band. ^ You're right too, they use add9 chords in every single song on their new album.
TeamSttg
Handsome Squidward
10 IQ
Quote by Deplorable
So is Monument a good album, I love CDC, will I enjoy Monuments?

I feel as if it is a little heavier but to answer your question yes you will enjoy.

Shed 31
Deplorable
LIVING HARDCORE RADIKULT
60 IQ
I showed STS to a friend (he now loves them) but he said they should write the music for Final Fantasy. I gotta ay that would be pretty epic.
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,715 IQ
Quote by thecrowing33
i dont know if anyone else thinks this but, i seen to find STS's song "Bloom" sounds similar to "Prequel to the Sequel" by BTBAM

Kinda, yeah. Both have pretty similar arpeggio intros. And both songs utilize harmonized octave riffs at some point.
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse
751 IQ
is it harmony? or more like counterpoint?

oh well; i havent listened to them for a while, but when i first discovered them, I was all about some Age of the Tide.

and yes, add9 chords seem to be loved in that band. not a bad thing though!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse
751 IQ
i wholeheartedly agree
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Seyda
O_O
10 IQ
Chris is a cool guy, I like their stuff alot, and I hope they continue to grow as a band.
Page 1 of 2