Quote by carnagereap666
How can I get a 8-bit sound without pedals?

You can't. You have to plug into a GK3 and make a midi soundfont out of the NES chiptunes.
you need pedals for making that sound for as far as I know, and so does HoffManCometh
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I saw a bass amp once that had a space invaders effect to it. I bet some of the nicer modeling amps have download-able tones for that, but thats just a guess.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
For 8-bit tones, the blue box by MXR is always a good bet..

If you're more adventurous, the geiger counter by WMD is freakin amazing.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by carnagereap666
Well I'm kinda low on cash could a Wah wah and a SpiderIII do anything?lol

Not anything that would give you an 8 - bit sound.
My brother has a Line 6 bass amp, and when I plug in my guitar and turn on the synth effect I can get a really 8 bit-ish tone.
LoDown probably.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by carnagereap666
So what about cool sounds I know the church bell anything else I could do?

In the way of cool sounds you can always look up Tom Morello. Guitar World has a great video where he goes over some of his techniques that you can check out @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bun9unLlhgQ

Of course he uses more than distortion and a wah for some of his effects, but its worth a shot. And as for making the guitar sound like an 8-bit game, you can either purchase a guitar synth or a fuzz capable of replicating those sounds. Kenji has the right idea with the MXR Blue Box, but the pedal sucks volume apparently. A more expensive remedy is Devi Ever's The Legend of Fuzz, which is a funny little boutique that seems to have a little more control than the BB.
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.
Quote by Mr. Grieves
In the way of cool sounds you can always look up Tom Morello. Guitar World has a great video where he goes over some of his techniques that you can check out @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bun9unLlhgQ

Of course he uses more than distortion and a wah for some of his effects, but its worth a shot. And as for making the guitar sound like an 8-bit game, you can either purchase a guitar synth or a fuzz capable of replicating those sounds. Kenji has the right idea with the MXR Blue Box, but the pedal sucks volume apparently. A more expensive remedy is Devi Ever's The Legend of Fuzz, which is a funny little boutique that seems to have a little more control than the BB.

Cool

But I've seen those vids many times.
Okay, to explain in broader terms: The GK3 is a Roland 6-piece peizo pickup that goes right by your bridge and picks up a signal from each individual string. It takes this signal and puts it through to a Guitar Synthesizer.. from there you can use midi patches (I think, I'm not first-hand familiar with these but I have a friend who owns one).

Now comes the ugly part: You have to use something like ImpulseTracker or FamiTracker to get the kind of sound you're looking for. You basically record one of the pitches and turn it into a midi soundfont that covers all the pitches of the fretboard.

This is probably your best bet.. you might be able to get a GK3 and Roland Guitar synth for about 500 bucks and you'll have more options for 8/16 bit sounds. The DBA Robot pedal is nice but it doesn't have enough options.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh
Okay, to explain in broader terms: The GK3 is a Roland 6-piece peizo pickup that goes right by your bridge and picks up a signal from each individual string. It takes this signal and puts it through to a Guitar Synthesizer.. from there you can use midi patches (I think, I'm not first-hand familiar with these but I have a friend who owns one).

Now comes the ugly part: You have to use something like ImpulseTracker or FamiTracker to get the kind of sound you're looking for. You basically record one of the pitches and turn it into a midi soundfont that covers all the pitches of the fretboard.

This is probably your best bet.. you might be able to get a GK3 and Roland Guitar synth for about 500 bucks and you'll have more options for 8/16 bit sounds. The DBA Robot pedal is nice but it doesn't have enough options.

Alright thanks man.