Topic.

Which amp would be better for punk? Stuff like NOFX, Ranicd, Lagwagon and the Sex Pistols. I also play some Hard Rock and Ska style music.

Also, feel free to suggest other amps. But the absolute max budget is £300. No more.

Thanks.
The valve king is better, simply because it is valve. I'd look into a laney VC15 or VC30.
Is it just for practice or are you going to gig it?
Out of those two the Valveking is definitely better. Can you go used? I was gonna say Peavey Vypyr tube 60, but it's over your budget.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
bugera just came out with a pretty cheap all tube amp that sounds great for punk. it has all the gain you would need and the cleans are pretty good too.
i disagree completely with the above statement.

the Vypyr can sound good easily, but the VK requires much attention and many accessories to start getting good tone.

TS, for £300, you might be able to find something like a DSL401 used, i know a couple of people who did. I recommend the LC30 over the VC30 because i just prefere the tone.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Valve King isn't better because its a valve amp.

Its better but if its a tube amp, don't mean its automatically better.

Punk tones aren't really anything special to amcomplish, the VK should be fine for your needs.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by loudog93
bugera just came out with a pretty cheap all tube amp that sounds great for punk. it has all the gain you would need and the cleans are pretty good too.

What's the name of the amp?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
hell be referring to either the V5, the V22, the V55 or the V55HD.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I live in quite a remote area, so used is a bit of a problem, because the only good used outlet would be ebay.
I'd say either the VK or one of those new Bugera amps, but I'm not sure if the Bugera's are any good. Just get the VK in my opinion. Very decent amp.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Dont listen to silver spear, he is saying that solid state is better than valve... it just isn't. If you are serious about tone then valve amps are better.

However, it might be worth getting a really cheap solid state amp, like something really small and save your money for something really good when you do go to gig. So in that case the Vypyr might be your best option, maybe a vox vt or something like that, but NOT a marshall mg or a Line 6 spider because they are ****. Also you won't need more than 15 watts for practice.
Last edited by tom_martin_123 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by npguitarist86
I would say the valve king 4 sure. the Vyper just has to much crap on it

Haha. +1
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
id definately say valve king. but you may have to invest in a od such as a ts9 along the lines but i dont know anyone who doesnt have an od of some sort anyways.
Quote by tom_martin_123
Dont listen to silver spear, he is saying that solid state is better than valve... it just isn't. If you are serious about tone then valve amps are better.

However, it might be worth getting a really cheap solid state amp, like something really small and save your money for something really good when you do go to gig. So in that case the Vypyr might be your best option, maybe a vox vt or something like that, but NOT a marshall mg or a Line 6 spider because they are ****. Also you won't need more than 15 watts for practice.

Actually, listen to Silverspear. He does know what hes talking about.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i think there was a thread yesterday about a valveking screwup, and ive seen many like it all over the internet.

its always the same...its working fine then it cuts off...then after that never switches back on again. The vypyr has a few reliability issues too, but theyre not so potent.

from experience, i very much advise you to look into a Laney LC15. 15 watt all valve amp, loud enough for gigs in small venues with PAs or many even on its own. Maybe a VC15, for the added bonus of split channels.

you can trust me, that if you buy a valveking, you will soon regret it.

an amp doesnt become better just because its tube.

that would make a harley benton GA5 better than a Line 6 Vetta II.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i think there was a thread yesterday about a valveking screwup, and ive seen many like it all over the internet.

its always the same...its working fine then it cuts off...then after that never switches back on again. The vypyr has a few reliability issues too, but theyre not so potent.

from experience, i very much advise you to look into a Laney LC15. 15 watt all valve amp, loud enough for gigs in small venues with PAs or many even on its own. Maybe a VC15, for the added bonus of split channels.

you can trust me, that if you buy a valveking, you will soon regret it.

an amp doesnt become better just because its tube.

that would make a harley benton GA5 better than a Line 6 Vetta II.

A Laney LC15 over a Peavey Valveking? Lol.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
the thing is, a Peavey valveking is going to sound like ass until you mod it, replace all the tubes, get an EQ pedal and an OD. the cleans are also way too boomy and the definition sucks.

the LC15 has very chimey clean tones and is made in the UK in the laney factory. they use premium quality tubes and wire all their tube amps to perfection.

oh btw, any of you recommending the VK, have you ever tried a GOOD tube amp?

you'll also note that the VK is only about a tenner more expensive than the LC15.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
the thing is, a Peavey valveking is going to sound like ass until you mod it, replace all the tubes, get an EQ pedal and an OD. the cleans are also way too boomy and the definition sucks.

the LC15 has very chimey clean tones and is made in the UK in the laney factory. they use premium quality tubes and wire all their tube amps to perfection.

oh btw, any of you recommending the VK, have you ever tried a GOOD tube amp?

you'll also note that the VK is only about a tenner more expensive than the LC15.

well what do you consider a GOOD tube amp. its all opinion man. someone can think any tube amp is GOOD but in your mind it might be BAD do you understand what im saying? unless your basing it solely off of price then thats a whole nother issue.
"the cleans are way too boomy and the definition sucks"

I wonder where you get all this information from, have you tried the Valveking?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
i mean a good tube amp, based on reputation and overall tonal quality of sound.

GOOD tube amps in this sense meaning Mesa/Boogie Lonestar, ENGL Screamer 50, Blackstar Artisan 100, Laney LCs and VCs.

you know, the kind of amps that are generally considered to be top of their game.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Peavey Windsor

^the Screamer is ENGL's mid end amp, IMO
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
yes actually i have tried the valveking, and the windsor, i eventually saved 200 bones and bought the Blackheart BH5H instead, because it sounded alot better, had better definition and with my pedals can get any sound i want.

also, just for the record, why are you bigging up the VK when you have a Vypyr in your 'wish list'?

(*also, i want to stress im not trying to be mean here, just save the TS alot of time and effort*)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i mean a good tube amp, based on reputation and overall tonal quality of sound.

GOOD tube amps in this sense meaning Mesa/Boogie Lonestar, ENGL Screamer 50, Blackstar Artisan 100, Laney LCs and VCs.

you know, the kind of amps that are generally considered to be top of their game.

Bear in mind, this guy needs a high gain amp. And I've never heard of any of those amps before.

EDIT: I'm getting a Vypyr because it's exactly what I need. A cheap solid state amp for home practice with lots of options. I don't care about tone at the moment. I'll get a Peavey 6505 when the time is right.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Sep 2, 2009,
MEsa/Boogie Lonestar - MESA Engineering, fairly hi gain, great sound quality.

ENGL, Blackstar, Laneys - ENGLs are hi gain amps, Blackstars are boarderline boutique stuff and laneys are made in the UK medium gain.

id also like to say those were examples not suggestions.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Well I've given my suggestions. I'll let the TS decide who to trust, can't really be bothered any more. Just wanna say that I totally disagree with your suggestions Silver.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
come to think of it, considering this is metal were talking about, +1 to WTF!!.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
come to think of it, considering this is metal were talking about, +1 to WTF!!.

TS plays punk
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
sorry, i thought iq# was in a different thread.

either way, aslong as you dont need cleans, the windsor does it fine.

the last post i made was at 00:51am (10 to 1 in the morning)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Sep 3, 2009,