Page 1 of 2
In a life full of Mainstream pop and R & B it is hard to not follow the crowd and listen to something a little different. These Genres get played on the radio and the television all the time and this is why these Genres have such a popular fan base.

In a world were Rock and Metal are not very mainstream it is hard to find Artists in the Genres and explore their music

I first got into rock music when my brother played various rock albums(QOTSA, RATM, Muse ect...)
I'm sad to say that I got into Metal from guitar hero(it is a great way to hear about bands)

So how did You get exposed to the music you listen to?
GTA Vice City, KROQ in the late 90's, buying a Metallica CD, and high school friends
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
friends, and my mums friend has THE BEST taste in music!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
The rock radio station in my home town. then buying a bunch of songs from bands i like the sound of. then hearing of other, heavier, bands from people/random things
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
my dad listened to some oldies in the car (clapton, dire straits, guns, tracy chapman etc) and I got it from that. But I first listened to my favourite band (Kings of Leon) on MTV.

Quote by thrash-it-up
friends, and my mums friend has THE BEST taste in music!

I don't remember your mom :s
Last edited by EddyPT at Sep 2, 2009,
My mom got me into metal (lol), and I found prog on my own.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I got into generic classic rock from some kid who is about a year older than me. From there, I went and listened to as much music to the 1950s - 1980s as I could. I discovered some 1990s grunge and alternative bands like Nirvana, Oasis, Blur, and Weezer, which led me to study their origin and roots more, leading me to the indie/punk/etc. scenes from the '60s onward. Some guy who is like 20 showed me some death metal that I didn't really mind, so I downloaded a bunch of essential death metal albums, and just digged deeper after that. Some indian wigger kid also showed me a lot of Eminem and Dr. Dre and Tupac and stuff. A lot of blogspots, 4chan's /mu/, and close friends are also sources.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Last edited by Sopheydood at Sep 2, 2009,
when i was like 10 i heard a ringtone from the rock show by blink-182 and i find it familiar so i started listen to them and then it grow up and grow up till now that i listen from jimi hendrix to the kooks :P
I got Muse from my brother, the only song he know was starlight and I liked so i looked them up and now have the full discography :P and my friends showed most of my other music (except RHCP which i got from my bro again)
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
My dad always has the classic rock station on and is a huge fan of SRV, and from that I developed a taste for it, but I also enjoy more hard rock than he does, and a little bit of metal, which I picked up from my friend.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
My friends exposed me to classic rock and metal like maiden, frank zappa, queen, and motorhead in 7th grade. One of my friends in high school exposed me to hardcore punk and death metal. guitar hero esposed me to QOTSA, muse and other modern bands. That's how i got to where i am today.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
my dad and my uncle, my dad always played rush non-stop and my uncle showed me some sabbath and metallica
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
KISS concert @ 4 years old

nuff said
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
A new guy moved to my school a few years ago. We became best friends, and he basically opened the door for heavier music to me. My tastes have evolved some more since then, but he was a huge influence on my discovery of music, as I didn't really listen to much at all before I knew him.

stratkat
mainly listening to a lotta my dad's old cds metallica, megadeth, slayer, anthrax, yngwie malmsteen, the doors, hendrix, zeppelin!!!
classic rock shizz: My Dad
Metal stuff: kind of just got myself into it along with the help of a friend who listens to a lot of music, and very slightly, the pit.
Power Ballads: Parents
Dance and Rap: well I realised after a while I listened to the same ****, so I got one of my friends who had loads of music on his hard drive to let me copy it.. so now I love dance(not entirely chart dance.. Trance and shizz) and rap; who'd of thought, ey?!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Hm...

I got into punk rock because when I was a wee 6th grader, I started getting into alternative stuff. After realizing it was crap written for the radio, and I started to hate the guys with girly voices and high pitched chords, I started looking for different music. To be honest, I started to get heavily into grunge. I started with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Then I started branching out more and more, and of course I liked NOFX and Pennywise, and Rancid. But as you get into different bands it grows into you. By the time I was in 8th grade, I knew so much about it. And since then I've been learning more and more.
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
Clapton and the Allman Brothers from my dad, stuff like Yes, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd from my mom... King Crimson and Rush I got into from those, and for the metal... Honestly I have no idea. It just kind of...happened.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
Quote by Duffman123
In a life full of Mainstream pop and R & B it is hard to not follow the crowd and listen to something a little different.

Really?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
80's Metal/80's Pop/New Wave and New Romantic - All GTA Vice City
Hard Rock - Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (Open Your Heart and Live and Learn
Trip Hop - Silent Hill
J Rock - Randomly hearing X Japan on the internet.
Punk - Listening to the Misfits after hearing loads of my favourite bands worshipping them, then realising it was all totally justified
Metalcore/Melodic Death Metal/Death Metal - Friends at school.
Black Metal - Uncle giving me Cradle of Filth CDs.
I also listen to modern pop/mainstream rock that I hear on the radio/TV, but only stuff that I actually like, couldn't care less about following crowds or pleasing people...

Quote by Duffman123
In a world were Rock and Metal are not very mainstream it is hard to find Artists in the Genres and explore their music

Why do you assume that everyone in the Pit only listens to rock and metal?
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 2, 2009,
my dad, metallica's cover of whiskey in the jar did it for me, he was playing it on the computer
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
My brother's left over music collection when he left for uni, he left SOAD and i got really into it. The rest worked through wikipedia and a friend. The wiki thing worked like this, i'd know a band, i'd look it up, see the genre and related bands and then listen to them and so on and so forth. Worked quite well actually. Oh and once in a while a buddy would bring over some dvd by chance, that's how i found out about G3. Never really watched TV and hated the music that people in my school heard so i haven't heard much mainstream.
Quote by duncang
Really?

Well since I'm one of the only people in my year at school that listening to rock, yes
Quote by Duffman123
Well since I'm one of the only people in my year at school that listening to rock, yes

I think you're lying. Here is the UK albums chart. #1 is a rock album, and scrolling down at least 20-30% of the albums on there are rock albums.

Rock music is, and always has been, very popular.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I got into metal mostly from listening to the bands everyone else did in 2007, like From First to Last or Escape The Fate. I learned to listen to the guitar mre from Escape The Fate, then later that year I ended up listening to metal from hearing Hate Crew Deathroll by CoB on EA .Skate.

A few months later, I fell in love with "Colors" (still my favourite album ever) due to it being UG's Best Metal Album of 2007, along with "The Blackening", around when I also began listening to Satch.

I'd still like more music though, as many of the bands I listen to are fairly well known, and I always feel as though I'm missing out on someone's music that I don't yet know about.
My dad had a ton of old reggae LPs that I listened to when I was very young but that wasn't really it. I used to be quite into punk rock and I rediscovered reggae through Bad Brains when I was about 12. Shortly after that we moved to Brixton which is an area with a lively reggae scene and it kind of just took off from there.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by duncang
I think you're lying. Here is the UK albums chart. #1 is a rock album, and scrolling down at least 20-30% of the albums on there are rock albums.

Rock music is, and always has been, very popular.

I know it is pretty popular, but in my year there just doesn't seem to be many people who listen to it. Only mainstream rock is played on the radio though, a lot of rock deserves to be played on the radio, but doesn't
I started with hard rock radio stuff. Eventually I wanted heavier stuff through those metal shows on Fuse, that got me into metalcore. Friends would recommend me stuff and we would trade CD's and mixes and crap. Then I joined last.fm and found a lot of bands through the sites recommendations and users rec's as well. And recently, through /mu/ share threads.

Yup.
Last edited by GREENWARRI0R at Sep 2, 2009,
I hardly knew any music or bands when I started guitar, and I started getting interested after.
heard "in the end" by linkin park on a top 40 radio station, got the rest from the tony hawk games.
Go Veg.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Page 1 of 2