I want to get a nice tube amp for playing stuff like Green Day, Rage Against the Machine and so on for under 1,000 USD...any help would be great!
Green day have rectos i think? or i saw a plexi on the tv advert. RATM (Morello) has a JCM 800 through a PEavey cab.

so, JCM 800?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

you don't need a good tube amp if that's the kind of stuff you want to play
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
i take it your a blooozman then tfj.

but imho since both the bands he mentioned use tube amps, id say he should get a tube amp.

i once again mention the JCM 800.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by tfjguitarist
you don't need a good tube amp if that's the kind of stuff you want to play

GTFO.

Green Day use Modded Plexi's...I'm pretty sure Tom Morello uses some Marshalls too.

I think a JCM800 would fit that pretty well.

Quote by Infowar
lol those are like 2 grand minimum

You can find them for under a grand easily. Check Musicgoround.com, I've seen multiple for under $1000. Some as far down as $700. If you look, you will find.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Sep 2, 2009,
pretty much any JCM series Marshall... 800,900, or 2000 would do I think. Of course to play Green Day you don't need anything more than a turd sandwich
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Tom morello blanks out his head with tape, but im 99% sure he uses a JCM 800 or 900. going by the face panel layout in his lesson vids, id say its not a 2000/TSL/DSL.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Infowar
I want to get a nice tube amp for playing stuff like Green Day, Rage Against the Machine and so on for under 1,000 USD...any help would be great!

a used JCM 800 combo can be found for $800 or less
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I'm just sayin, why do you need a good tube amp to play power chords (green day) or drop D 0-3-5 repeated (Rage)?
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
Quote by tfjguitarist
I'm just sayin, why do you need a good tube amp to play power chords (green day) or drop D 0-3-5 repeated (Rage)?

I'm with ya man...whatever hahah To play Rage you need a Digitech Whammy pedal, not a 1,000 tube amp...to play Green Day you need to practice guitar for about a week....
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
^^ both of you guys just got reported
feel free to add me
Quote by chuckmehh
I'm with ya man...whatever hahah To play Rage you need a Digitech Whammy pedal, not a 1,000 tube amp...to play Green Day you need to practice guitar for about a week....

first off if the dude wants to play green day thats his poragitive yeah thier stuff is easy but its still a good band, second that stuff about RAtM is the biggest load of horse **** I have ever heard, morello's tone is ****ing one of the best I've ever heard.
Morello uses a JCM800 2205 which is the 2 channel 50W JCM800.
Look if you can find one used, or get a used DSL.

And if you have some money after buying the amp, get some effect pedals (Wah, Whammy, Delay, Tremolo, Phaser, ...).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
you really think that I care about being reported on some dumb forum? I think it's funny that you believe that you have some sort of authority. If you create a thread about how you need a 1000 dollar tube amp so that you can play power chords, then you should expect responses like this.
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
Quote by tfjguitarist
you really think that I care about being reported on some dumb forum? I think it's funny that you believe that you have some sort of authority. If you create a thread about how you need a 1000 dollar tube amp so that you can play power chords, then you should expect responses like this.

the TS wants help picking out an amp but instead of help he gets responses from douches. its the TS's money, he can do waht ever he wants with it.
feel free to add me
Quote by tfjguitarist

OK, so take a look at Morello's solos like in Know Your Enemy, Township Rebellion, or the live-version of Promenade and tell me that that's powerchords.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
there is no doubt that tom morello is one of the best guitarists of our generation, BUT the majority of the stuff is power chords/ a lot of effect and pickup selector switch gimmicks. he is inovative though.
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
get a jcm 900

and about the bands, they are easily played. quit yer arguin!
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by tfjguitarist
there is no doubt that tom morello is one of the best guitarists of our generation, BUT the majority of the stuff is power chords/ a lot of effect and pickup selector switch gimmicks. he is inovative though.

What does the fact that he plays power chords have anything to do with the amp? His tone ( both ts and Morello's) is going to sound a million times better through a jcm then if he settled for a crappy solid state amp like you want him to. If he has the funds whats wrong with getting a jcm? Maybe you're just jealous or something. Anyways i say go for it i think it would handle both bands well and yeah if you have some money left over some of the pedals already stated could help. Also im sure you play more than power chords anyways and if you don't you'll eventually start to.
Quote by tfjguitarist

Every guitarist on the planet that plays anything blues and heavier will use power chords. Your point is moot.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
yeah I'm jealous. I have a Hot Rod and a Legacy (clearly) I do not envy him.
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
the first thing I did was recommend him a JCM 800,900, or 2000....so much for that point...i then proceeded to take a stab at their simplicity. And yes, I have a Randall V2 ninja and a Peavey 5150...if only I could have a JCM *sigh*
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by son of anarchy
first off if the dude wants to play green day thats his poragitive yeah thier stuff is easy but its still a good band, second that stuff about RAtM is the biggest load of horse **** I have ever heard, morello's tone is ****ing one of the best I've ever heard.

It should be your "porogative" to pick up a dictionary once in a while haha But yeah RATM was my favorite band for the longest time. You cannot deny he uses effects (mostly the Whammy pedal) an awful lot though.

EDIT: you actually spelled it "poragitive"...sorry it was even worse than I thought
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by tfjguitarist

whats so bad about playing powerchords? even the most technical bands out there use them for their riffs.

and anyways, yes, a JCM800 or 900 or 2000 would suit you best imo.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by tfjguitarist
yeah I'm jealous. I have a Hot Rod and a Legacy (clearly) I do not envy him.

TS
do you have a separate budget for pedals?
or is the 1000 for both amp and pedals?
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
whats so bad about playing powerchords? even the most technical bands out there use them for their riffs.

and anyways, yes, a JCM800 or 900 or 2000 would suit you best imo.

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I made a similar stab, so I'll defend that I wasn't bashing power chord usage, I was bashing Green Day....there is a difference
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
There are a lot of good amps for that price range. Just because you play something someone else played doesn't mean you have to sound just like them or use their exact gear. Don't limit yourself, you really need to get out and play some amps, with your guitar if possible. See what you like the best that you can afford. If you want a Brit sound there are lots of Brit amps at 1000 dollars. Hell there are some that will let you mix Brit(EL34) and American(6L6) sounding tubes (Egnater, etc.) Its your music and your ears.
Are you guys fucking kidding me?

Pull your ignorant heads out of your asses and grow up.

TS, pick up a used JCM 900 combo and call it a day.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Are you guys fucking kidding me?

Pull your ignorant heads out of your asses and grow up.

TS, pick up a used JCM 900 combo and call it a day.

JCM 900? kind of like I suggested in my first post on here? I guess I am the ignorant one though
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by chuckmehh
JCM 900? kind of like I suggested in my first post on here? I guess I am the ignorant one though

Hey guys, lets just chill before someone gets reported and this thread gets closed.

TS: I bought a used Marshall DSL401 for about $800, it's my favorite sub-$1500 tube amp that i've personally played through so far besides possibly a Fender Deluxe Reverb. It's got really nice cleans that sound great with a good distortion pedal (such as a EHX Metal Muff or something similar) in front.
alright yes...just get a Marshall JCM something....you will be satisfied
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
I was backing up the JCM 900 suggestion.

It should be your "porogative" to pick up a dictionary once in a while haha But yeah RATM was my favorite band for the longest time. You cannot deny he uses effects (mostly the Whammy pedal) an awful lot though.

EDIT: you actually spelled it "poragitive"...sorry it was even worse than I thought
Yeah, you have no room to talk.

EDIT: Alright, if you guys will act like adults rather then children, maybe we could have an actual functioning thread. Give it a chance.
Quote by The_Bosstone
I was backing up the JCM 900 suggestion.

Yeah, you have no room to talk.

EDIT: Alright, if you guys will act like adults rather then children, maybe we could have an actual functioning thread. Give it a chance.

I understand the implications of me going back to this, but yeah...I don't have room to talk about what? That I can't spell badly? I misspelled a misspelling haha

JCM2000 is my final answer for you TS...i'm sorry I had to crap all over your thread.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by chuckmehh
I understand the implications of me going back to this, but yeah...I don't have room to talk about what? That I can't spell badly? I misspelled a misspelling haha

JCM2000 is my final answer for you TS...i'm sorry I had to crap all over your thread.

Yeah JCM2000's pwn. The DSL401 is especially appealing because it's a combo, the only downside (in my opinion) is that it doesn't have very high wattage (it's only rated at 40 watts so it may not be good for large gigs)
Quote by Schism1985
Yeah JCM2000's pwn. The DSL401 is especially appealing because it's a combo, the only downside (in my opinion) is that it doesn't have very high wattage (it's only rated at 40 watts so it may not be good for large gigs)

good point. But you could always mic it and still have a much, much better rig than someone with a 100 watt MG stack haha
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
never get a dsl or the such....****in ****ty...the only marshalls ill ever own with be the 800 or 900
Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Standard Tele
Ltd EC-400
Boss Super Chorus
Cry Baby
15" MacBook Pro
Akai MPD 24