I've been playing for around 2 and 1/2 years. I quit for about 2 or 3 months cause I hated my tone. I've rethunk my tone, and am now trying to get back into it. However since I took such a long time off, I sound like ****. I still remember the chords, riffs, licks, scales, etc. But they sound bad. Theyre not clear and crisp like before. They will get better in time, I know, but what could I do to re-motivate myself?
Think that when you are a hardcore guitar player, chicks will dig you and you will get laid like a billion times... A day.
Haha
Quote by IAmTheArsonist
Think that when you are a hardcore guitar player, chicks will dig you and you will get laid like a billion times... A day.
Haha

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's a terrible outlook. One should never pick up the guitar because they think they'll get laid. Play for yourself and only for yourself, not so other people will like you.

If you want to get re-motivated, the best way is to figure out what your goals are and just.. work towards them. Really, some guys will write a thousand page essay on how to get re-motivated but there is no "secret" or "method" to do that. What it takes to get motivated about anything is just to put some time in and do something correctly within that time frame. If you make any qualifiable progress within that time frame, that's enough to build confidence and get you back to being motivated.
Quote by HoffManCometh
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's a terrible outlook. One should never pick up the guitar because they think they'll get laid. Play for yourself and only for yourself, not so other people will like you.

If you want to get re-motivated, the best way is to figure out what your goals are and just.. work towards them. Really, some guys will write a thousand page essay on how to get re-motivated but there is no "secret" or "method" to do that. What it takes to get motivated about anything is just to put some time in and do something correctly within that time frame. If you make any qualifiable progress within that time frame, that's enough to build confidence and get you back to being motivated.

That is so true. Especially the first part. But yeah, I just need to buckle down and do it.

Thanks for the help guys.
to motivate yourself, look into the future or your favorite guitar player
and say to yourself, I'M GONNA BE THAT GUY!!![or better ]

just wanted to add that. i mean thats what keeps me going
I would say the best thing to do is to try and forget about your expectations of how good you want to be for a little bit, and just enjoy playing the guitar. JUst enjoy it for what it is. Don't compare yourself to how you played before your break. Then one day it will hit you out of nowhere "hey, I couldn't do that before OR after my break!". You will have gotten better, and it will have completely snuck up on you.
Then after that, maybe get a bit more "serious" about the goals and such (but don't ever forget to enjoy playing).
The best way to get re motivated is to play guitar with your buddies. Find a drummer and another guitarist/bassist and just jam. It's why I love playing guitar, nothing better than getting into a really good drum and bass groove while soloing.

Buy a dvd of a concert from your fav band. Get inspired
      Quote by razorback91
      Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
      Play some music style you never heard of before.
      Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
      - Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
      Effects
      - Vox Wah-wah
      become best enemies with another player of about the same skill level and let your hate motivate u to be better than him
      ಠ_ಠ
      <|>
      /ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
      Quote by IAmTheArsonist
      Haha

To do that you dont really need to be a hardcore guitar player, just learn wonderwall, green eyes and a few other easy chick songs.

What I do to re-motivate myself is I go back to where I was when I started playing, I listen to the music I listened back then and I remember, or try to remember, what inspired me to pick up the instrument, has always worked so far!
      Find new music. Possibly a band with a really great guitarist that you can look up to. From there set some goals for yourself to become more skilled. It's a really simple tip but that helped me when I was bored playing same stuff all the time.

edit: ^ what the guy above me said is pretty cool too. It's fun to return to your roots and play those songs you used to play when you first picked up guitar and see how much better you can play now. Sometimes.
      Last edited by Naem at Sep 3, 2009,
      Listen to what got you into playing.

Go back to your roots when lost
      Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
      Ion - acoustic guitar.
      Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
      Fender Super Champ XD 15w
      Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
      whenever I need motivation I go to youtube and watch a solo video by Michael Romeo or John Petrucci, it really motivate me

but warning, it also can make you want to throw your guitar through the window
      Quote by steve-b1
      The best way to get re motivated is to play guitar with your buddies. Find a drummer and another guitarist/bassist and just jam. It's why I love playing guitar, nothing better than getting into a really good drum and bass groove while soloing.

yeah fer sure dude. playin with other people never gets old. and its a great learning experience playing with others with a different style and musical background. i love playing with guys better than i am, i always walk out with somthin new to learn.
      Quote by eyeplayguitar
      Go see some live music and get in touch with the reason you started to play to begin with.

This really helped me recently.
      "He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." - Orwell