I've interested in learning some basic music theory. I've tried reading the articles on UG but I don't understand alot of it. I mainly want to learn how to play/solo in the same key of song and over a chord progression (I want to learn more, but that is my first goal).
If UG could steer in the right direction of the things i should study that would aid me most in what i want to learn, that would be great.
so far I know the major and pentatonic(+pent blues) shape and the c scale in the open postion, and Major/bar chords and some other types of chord and trying to memorize notes on the fretboard.
Circle of 5ths. It's the basis for all theory.

And then learn the 7 modes and you can create scales on your own
Last edited by Hendrallica at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by Hendrallica
Circle of 5ths. It's the basis for all theory.

And then learn the 7 modes and you can create scales on your own

I would disagree on both points.

You could learn everything the circle of fifths teaches you without ever knowing it existed. I wouldn't call it the basis for any theory. It's just pretty handy for a beginner, but by no means important. Modes, I think, are unimportant for a beginner, and can be completely ignored until way further down the line.

TS, first I'd recommend you learn notes. What they are and where they are. What they sound like and what they look like on your instrument. Then do the same thing with intervals, and then the major scale.

Once you know these things, progress further into more complicated stuff will be a lot easier to understand.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.