e |--------------------------------------------------------------------12-15-14--| 
b |--------------------------------------------------12-15-------12-15-----------| 
G |--------------------------------12-14-------12-14-------12-14-----------------| 
D |--------------12-14-------12-14-------12-14-----------------------------------| 
A |--------12-14-------12-14-----------------------------------------------------|
E |--12-15-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

So Im working on this part right now, and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better to alternate pick everything, 2 notes per string, or should I sweep every set of 3 strings and hammer on the 14/15's? Im not sure i can get my alternate picking up to that speed. Is this a good idea?

thanks!
Just alternate pick it. It doesn't hurt to practice your alternate picking and get up to higher speeds.
Yeah, I'm working on that too, and it's a SOB. All I can suggest if you're going to alt pick it is to be very patient - just give it 10 mins each day, and let some time pass. Bring the speed up in tiny increments. It's easy to tense up on this towards the end of the run.
Quote by Will Swanson
I would legato it, but I'm sure Paul picks it.

I legato it or just play something completely different since I usually improvise it, and I think paul nowadays also improvises it.

When he does play that part though, I think he usually picks it.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Sep 3, 2009,
using legato on this part is better than picking,as you`ll get a more fluid sound.
not sure how paul played that part,but do what the heck works for you.
I use hammer ons, as a lot of other people are saying, but when Paul picks it, he does it so concisely that it sounds brilliant.
Basically, alt picking will sound better, but it'll be harder to do.
Quote by Ikonoklast
What part of the song is that? I don't recognise it!

It's literally the very first lick in the solo.

PG himself does pick it and it's always worth getting your alternate picking up to scratch but if you can do it another way then I don't see why you shouldn't, it's up to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
practice both.

when first learning it to memory i used legato, then i learnt to alt pick it.

paul would alternate pick that if he ever did it live nowadays.
Alt pick

But is it just me or are 2 nps licks harder than 3 and 4 nps licks?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Alt pick

But is it just me or are 2 nps licks harder than 3 and 4 nps licks?

To me at least they definitely are, I don't really understand why... probably something about less time spent on each string or something.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
... probably something about less time spent on each string or something.

Yeah, I find them much harder than 3/3+ nps licks. I agree with what ZB said about why - each string cross throws you a tiny bit, and you have less time to recover before you cross strings again. At least that's my theory.
im trying it right now and i think you should alternate and hamer on/pull off the last 15-14 i like it beter that way
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
To me at least they definitely are, I don't really understand why... probably something about less time spent on each string or something.

Crossing strings takes more effort because of the time spent moving your wrist into the correct position.
Call me Batman.