I'm trying to learn As I Lay Dying's Through Struggle on guitar, but some parts just seem too fast. Even when I try to play it that fast it's just sloppy and it's hard to keep up. I think it's mainly my fretting hand that's struggling- heh get it struggle...

I think I might have a hard version of the tab. Can someone give me the correct tab that the actual band uses?

-Matt
Quote by hxcmatt
I'm trying to learn As I Lay Dying's Through Struggle on guitar, but some parts just seem too fast. Even when I try to play it that fast it's just sloppy and it's hard to keep up. I think it's mainly my fretting hand that's struggling- heh get it struggle...

I think I might have a hard version of the tab. Can someone give me the correct tab that the actual band uses?

-Matt

Uh, the song is the song.
just give me a fender and let me rip
which tab for the song are you using?
I play the version two tab and there's a little fill in it that's a bit hard to play but just keep practicing at it and you'll get there dude.
Just keep practicing the parts you're having trouble with and slowly increase your speed.

Quote by hxcmatt
Can someone give me the correct tab that the actual band uses?

-Matt

And I don't think the band uses tabs for their own song, haha.
Ya I think I use version 2 as well. I can basically move my hand just fast enough, but it doesn't feel comfortable. If i see someone on youtube do the cover, they do it effortlessly, yet im fidgeting like a mad dog trying to keep up with the song. And yes i have learned the song slower, but as soon as it gets to full speed, my mind can't focus and i forget the notes so I just **** up on parts of the song.

blizzboy
I meant the tab, of the correct fingering that the band uses...

And ya you're right a song is a song sk8board3r, but if there's an easier way to play it, it's usually the right way.

After I practice this song like crazy, will songs equally difficult come in a snap or will i have to work just as hard each time for something with the same difficulty lvl. b/c i read that people learn songs as difficult or more difficult than this one in a day.
Last edited by hxcmatt at Sep 2, 2009,
To tell you the truth, and i don't want to dishearten you or anything, but Through Struggle isn't really difficult. I could learn it in a day. I remember back when I practiced by learning AILD songs, one riff I had a hard time with was Elegy. But I practiced playing it and eventually I was really proud of that song. Yeah, it was frustrating, but you can't just expect to be able to play any song you want by just putting a half hour of effort into it. I look back and laugh about that because I've since forgotten Elegy, but I could pick my guitar up right now and learn it in less than an hour. You'll be able to laugh at this situation too, provided you stick with it and guitar as a whole.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
To tell you the truth, and i don't want to dishearten you or anything, but Through Struggle isn't really difficult. I could learn it in a day. I remember back when I practiced by learning AILD songs, one riff I had a hard time with was Elegy. But I practiced playing it and eventually I was really proud of that song. Yeah, it was frustrating, but you can't just expect to be able to play any song you want by just putting a half hour of effort into it. I look back and laugh about that because I've since forgotten Elegy, but I could pick my guitar up right now and learn it in less than an hour. You'll be able to laugh at this situation too, provided you stick with it and guitar as a whole.

I don't think it's difficult as i plan to learn much more difficult songs. But let me ask you, what songs did you learn prior to Through Struggle, and how many years had you been playing. I think these two things are important as well as how much time you practice of course.

As of yet ive been playing less than 2 years (no lessons), and I mostly just practiced exercises, which mind you I didn't stick to very well.

Now i'm just starting to learn songs (that I like). Ive learned IKTPQ's Sharks In Your Mouth quite easily, and now im on to this one.... which my left hand hates
I came in here automatically expecting it asking help to play power-violently, maybe asking for help with a Crossed Out song or something ha!

Just practice the song slower than it's speed and you'll get it. I was playing their songs about four years ago or something, it get's a whole lot easier after you learn the standard metalcore string skips and such. To think i used to play as i lay dying and now i am here learning crossed out and spazz songs, have i lost talent, or gained endless fun?
Ummmm, I started out on stuff like Nirvana and Green Day, you know, just power chords. Then from there I progressed to A7X songs (without the solos, obviously) and some Metallica. Then it was As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour and All That Remains. Some songs I'd recommend for that level of playing would have to be Forever, Elegy, The Darkest Nights, pretty much any As I Lay Dying songs prior to An Ocean Between Us. Also Six, And Death in My Arms, I Die in Degrees, Passion, and This Darkened Heart by All That Remains are good, especially for the right hand. You could probably also manage some Waking the Fallen-era A7X and early Black Dahlia Murder.

I don't remember the time frame for all of this, but obviously my musical tastes progressed along with my playing ability. I've been playing four and a half years now and mostly the kind of stuff I'm playing lately is along the lines of Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero.

You'll get there. it just takes practice and commitment.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by SadistNation
I came in here automatically expecting it asking help to play power-violently, maybe asking for help with a Crossed Out song or something ha!

Just practice the song slower than it's speed and you'll get it. I was playing their songs about four years ago or something, it get's a whole lot easier after you learn the standard metalcore string skips and such. To think i used to play as i lay dying and now i am here learning crossed out and spazz songs, have i lost talent, or gained endless fun?

I have no idea what a crossed out song is jaja. This song doesn't have too many string skips. I really think my problem is maybe jumping back an forth on the fretboard quickly. This song has quite a bit of that, and I don't think I'm good at it.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
...the kind of stuff I'm playing lately is along the lines of Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero.

That's the stuff that i want to play but since i knew i couldnt im learning this easier stuff.
My musical tastes evolved way faster than my ability to play heh...
Quote by saxaxe
metronomeonline.com

It doesn't work for me. I don't understand how you can have 100 bpm in quarter notes, and then somehow in my head I'm supposed to translate it to the 8th and 16th notes that im playing... If anything I would use guitarpro, does that count as using a metronome if i slow it down?
Buy a metronome, I got a Korg metronome/chromatic tuner combo and I can set the metronome from 40-208bpm and I can set it to triplets, duplets, and those pesky 16ths along with a number of other settings

It works like this

BEEP tick tick tick BEEP tick tick tick BEEP tick tick tick etc. where the Beep is the start of the beat

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
The only thing you can really do is practice practice practice. When I started almost a year ago I just played BFMV and Trivium for like 5 months cause I thought "I was teh br00talz" then in the long run I came across better music and all that BFMV playing really helped.
Do you guys think songs from Killing With A Smile from Parkway Drive are just as good as the recommendations stated above or are AILD, Darkest Hour, ATR, Black Dahlia, Trivium, and BFMV my best bet?
^^^
Black dahlia solos will be a biotchhh but practice makes perfect. I would also suggest august burns red it helped my technigues out alot on guitar playing
hxcmatt:

www.myspace.com/crossedouthardcore

also Darkest Hour is a great band with great songs, learn some of their stuff. Black Dahlia Murder (from the Miasma era) can be a lil' tricky at times but once you get the As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour down it will come more naturally.

Now if you practice power-violence!!!!! (ie. Crossed Out) then you will be able to move around the fretboard faster than you could have ever imagined.
Well i wanna be able to play BTBAM, PTH, math/dethcore type stuff... Which songs would make me best at this type of playing. It's kinda pointless to learn songs that will take me forever to learn and not improve my skill. I mean what's the point in learning a bunch of songs from the same band, if it doesn't make me better ya know?
Quote by SadistNation
hxcmatt:

www.myspace.com/crossedouthardcore

also Darkest Hour is a great band with great songs, learn some of their stuff. Black Dahlia Murder (from the Miasma era) can be a lil' tricky at times but once you get the As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour down it will come more naturally.

Now if you practice power-violence!!!!! (ie. Crossed Out) then you will be able to move around the fretboard faster than you could have ever imagined.

Power-violence sounds like grindcore a bit technique-wise.
If you have to practice it a lot, it's increasing your skill.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
If you have to practice it a lot, it's increasing your skill.

Nah, I just have trouble memorizing stuff so it takes me a long time learn a song. That should come with time though...
Practice, practice, practice. There are songs that I used to have problems with that I play with ease now. I've only been playing for a little over a year. But if you keep playing consistently you'll realize that as time goes by you get better and better at certain things. It's not good to rush something. I remember when I first started playing guitar, it took me a few months to completely get down the intro to the song "Bombtrack" from Rage Against The Machine, and now I can play it flawlessly without even working on it.
At the moment I'm trying to learn FCPREMIX. I've been messing around with the main riff for months, and it's still not that great. But I'm way better at it then I used to be. So repetition is your best friend when it comes to learning how to play guitar ;p

And you said what's the point in practicing a long time for one song. Well I'd rather know one song very well then know a bunch of songs that I suck at. And as you constantly keep working on that one song, you increase the skills needed to learn more songs in the future.

~Peace~
Last edited by ArcadianWarrior at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by ArcadianWarrior

And you said what's the point in practicing a long time for one song. Well I'd rather know one song very well then know a bunch of songs that I suck at.

No i said there wasn't any point learning a song just to memorize a song if it doesn't improve your skill as a guitarist. I want to spend time learning songs that will make me better, mostly cause im horrible at memorizing songs atm.
Well yeah, and that's what I was sort of talking about on the last sentence of that part that you didn't quote.
In my opinion, any song will make you better. Seriously dude, if you learn how to play a song, then your getting better at guitar. No if's, and's and but's about it. Anything you learn is making you better. Unless your learning something that's waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy below your skill level. But if you learn a song that you have a problem learning, then trust me, it's going to make you better okay :]
And it also takes a while to play a song cleanly to. There are songs I've been playing for at least a year now that I still sorta suck out. Hell I'm even sloppy on Mindless Self Indulgence songs sometimes.
So yeah, long story short, anything you learn is basically going to contribute to your...skill aresenal...xp
Quote by hxcmatt
Nah, I just have trouble memorizing stuff so it takes me a long time learn a song. That should come with time though...

Yeah. And practice. That's my whole point. Practicing this song will improve your ability to memorize notes. And believe me, there are a LOT of notes in BTBAM and PTH songs. It'll also help your downpicking, which will be important. But basically my point still stands; if you have to practice something a lot, you're improving a skill.
Quote by ArcadianWarrior
I've been messing around with the main riff for months, and it's still not that great.

Unless you're using a ****-ton of delay, I wouldn't expect it to sound right even if you're playing it perfectly.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Sep 3, 2009,
I'm resurrecting the thread . I wanna learn a Darkest Hour (DH) song followed by a Black Dahlia Murder (BDM). Any recommendations for DH song(s) or BDM song(s). I know someone said a song from the Miasma-era?
Last edited by hxcmatt at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by hxcmatt
I'm resurrecting the thread . I wanna learn a Darkest Hour (DH) song followed by a Black Dahlia Murder (BDM). Any recommendations for DH song(s) or BDM song(s). I know someone said a song from the Miasma-era?

Darkest Hour - Sadist Nation, Sound The Surrender, Demon(s), and Deliver Us to name a few.
Dude just try playing the songs you like

If you can't play it either practice the riff or try something else and come back to it

Now let this thread die
Ummmm, I said early BDM, and by that I meant Unhallowed. Funeral Thirst, for instance. As far as Darkest Hour goes, Convalescence is easy enough (excluding the solo of course).
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT