Page 1 of 2
Hey all Im doing this build at my wood shop in school and was needing some questions answered so i cam t you! Anyways i decided to do a electric guitar build and was wondering what would be a easier build? Strat,V,Avenger, or any other ideas on bodys? And would a certain wood be recommended? Any way i could get demensions on guitars? Paint? Where to buy cheap parts? Better to make a neck or buy? Im possiable going to run a floyd but not sure yet. Me and my bud are going to do this one together so i have a bit of help and i have all the tools for the job.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
More information please still my question stands on the paint and what body style
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
V would be the easiest, but who cares about that--you're going to have to live with it long after you're done building it. If you want a guitar that's as comfortable to play sitting as standing, then forget about the V.

I have both guitars in Strat & Avenger shapes. If you're thinking like a carved top Avenger, then it's a lot harder than the Strat. Or you could go with it flat-top like mine and that would be easier. It has a tummy cut. I'f I were building my own or having Schecter build one for me, I'd go for a Strat style arm relief, too (that 45 degree cut on the bottom left corner [when the guitar is standing vertically on a conventional stand]).

I'd also mount the input jack somewhere other than the stock location--It's a pain in the butt hanging out the bottom; you have to use a 90 degree angle plug or risk breaking it or the jack on your chair. Even then it could still be a problem because the plug can end up facing the wrong way and get caught on something. FR is a great idea but adds a lot of complexity to the build. But don't think you can go fixed bridge now, then update later. It would be hard to match the finish if you go and route for the FR later.

It would be harder to get a pre-built Schecter style neck than it would a Fender neck.

Sounds like a lot of fun (and a lot of work). Good luck!
you can get guitar finishing stuff at reranch.com

but you can use any kind of paint really.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
V'd probably be the easiest, if you take the time to really sand the edges smooth. Wood-wise Ash or Mahogany are among the most widely used.

Parts-wise: Allparts or GFS are great for cheap parts.
Finish: I always prefer natural or dyed wood, but a nice nitro is also good (you can buy this stuff from Reranch if you're in the states)
Making your own neck is probably more rewarding in the long run, but it takes a lot of time.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Wow guys that answered a lot of my questions. My other friend that takes wood shop (different period though) told me he found a good sized piece of wood thick enough and wide/long enough for a body and its maple is that good? I have decided to just stick to string through. Going to possiably go natural color just to be different. I thought a V would be easier we were wanting to do like a Dave mustain type of V(more aggressive looking) but we would like to do a Avenger but what ever is best. Info on necks? Ill keep you guys posted pics possiably
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Maple is a great wood for just about any use on guitars.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

What kind of neck style are you interested in? Bolt-on, neck-through, or set-neck?
Contrary to what you may have heard, Nietzsche was opposed to the concept of nihilism.
I'd recommend bolt on if it's your first build. It's easier to correct errors that way.
Just got back from School i personaly talked to the shop teacher he told me he had some Ash and maple and normal ol ply wood. And from reading up I know that both Maple and Ash are excellent for guitar building. I would want to run a Bolt on neck of course easier. From what i understand is that im going to use multiple pieces of wood to make the body correct me if im wrong, Thanks guys
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
depends on what shape, smaller shapes should fit on one piece, of course it depends on the size of said pieces of wood. But bigger stuff like V's will need multiple anyway. Like my V im building atm
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Oh So ideas on how to cut for pick up? Like techniques? When building a guitar with multiple pieces of wood.( I will be using 1 type of wood though so im not a stupid hillbilly lol)
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Just route them out a the correct depth using a template. Which if I may hijack a moment, can anyone tell me the right type of bit for using a top template. All bits I can find are bottom guided

EDIT: I guess something like this http://www.mytoolplace.net/Milwaukee-12-x-258-x-14/M/B000CSSF2K.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=GB&id=uk
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Last edited by Ieuanm at Sep 3, 2009,
Oh i see a special Bit eh? Well ill have to check with him tommorrow.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
V has nice straight lines, avenger is badass and made of win. strat is hardest.

bolt-on is easiest, set-neck is haredest. bolt-on is reversible, set and neck-thru aren't.

My opinion: avenger bolt-on
^I'm with him. Bolt-on Avenger sounds awesome. In natural, it'll be sweet.

Yeah Ive always liked the avenger and Im going to go Maple bolt on. Possiably white or natural
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
yes sir yes sir! Ill keep you guys posted maybe some pics my shop teacher is a old bastard that won't care if i take some pics. Another question. Any of you have a diagram on the measurements for a Avenger? Blue print or whatever ?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Mkk It would make my job so much easier. Thanks
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Ok, so I don't have one...thought i did.

if you have access to some kind of projector, print this pic out and put it on a projector. move the projector to where the guitar is projected at actual size and trace it onto poster board.

Sorry, man. best I can do.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2n0sbgl.jpg
Maybe we can find some one who does have a blue print on UG? But thanks . Glad your helping me out though im new to this lol
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
You can ask metal-matt if he'll make you an svg file of it, then you just have to scale it up.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

yep, i just made one, i hope you like it

well its the same shape, so realy i should be saying i hope you can use it
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I don't have a template or a blueprint, but this might help to get the stuff the other guys gave you blown up to 1:1 scale: I measured mine and it's 22 1/2" from the top corner of the pointy horn to the farthest point in the opposite corner of the guitar. It's 1 3/4" thick. When you blow it up, it'll likely be pixelated; but you can interpolate with a french curve.

Mine is black with black binding around the body of the guitar, merging into the fretboard, and around the headstock.

I'd trace it for you, but there's no point, since I couldn't get it accurate due to the tummy cut-out.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by jetwash69
I'd recommend bolt on if it's your first build. It's easier to correct errors that way.

It's also a lot easier to do, provided you have the router templates.
Be EXTREMELY careful with your measurements. On the build I did I drilled the bridge studs in the wrong place. the low E was off the fretboard entirely. doweling and redrilling is kind of a pain to to.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hey man thanks for that temp So how exactly is is measured bro
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
After browsing through your topic, I've just gotta say: buy a book. Before I built my first guitar I had done about 20-30 hours of reading how-to. Most/all questions you ask could have been answered by a book or google.
I can recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book. It's considered to be one of the best and most complete books around.

Rather than asking everything on a forum where people can give wrong answers, do some research. Building a guitar is by no means putting a person on the moon, but you do have to invest a lot of time to do it properly. Unless you want a piece of wood that resembles a guitar, but is basically unplayable.

I don't say this to sound like an ass, but rather I've been through the whole process not too long ago and you will run into more complex issues if you don't do some proper research. When I built my guitar I ran into very few issues and things went relatively smoothly for a first build.
Ok guys im back with some updates. I found my wood while back (Ash) Have recently been sanding it and preping to cut. it is pretty nice wood. Thinign about just buying a cheap ibanez neck like a gio 6 line. Im doing a avenger look prob going to be white or natural but i will make that decision when i get there. I will be taking pics and posting soon going to cut prob monday or tues. anyone want to help me with measure ments on pick ups/string thru holes/neck/knobs/ wiring diagram?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
any?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Heerrrrroooooo????????
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
You picked a bad day/time to bump. No one's around.

Alrighty, for the neck: A Gio neck should fit, as long as you properly route the neck pocket

Parts wise, www.allparts.com has a great selection and a few UGers can order with a 10-25% discount.

Measurements: In the GB&C Starter Pack v.1, there is a section titled Building, Repair, and Templates. In the Template section, there is a routing diagram for both a humbucker pickup and (I think) a Floyd Rose bridge.

String-Thru holes and TOM placement all depend on the scale length of the neck you buy. A general rule is that the distance between the bridge and the bottom of the 12th fret should be exactly half of the total length from nut to bridge.

Wiring Diagram is in the Wiring thread, use a Seymour Duncan diagram if you can, they're dead accurate.

Thanks a lot man. I was going to ask if a cheap gio would work cause i see them selling on ebay for like $20 lol killer deal i suppose?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
ive got a gio (first electric guitar i got)

the neck is ok, nothing great tho.

its the body/electronics...
sounds crappy lol...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Lol Ill take it for free? hahaha But I tip my hat to you Matt your temp helped a ton thanks
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Just wanted to update you guys on this i have began the cutting for the body and am about done with that. Should have that done by tomorrow and its a avenger and i still haven't figured out what to paint it (No natural pls sorry (: ). And it doesn't hurt to ask but anyone want to sling some free parts? Necks, pickups, tuners?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam