Hey MT... I was just thinking to myself that I've been playing guitar now for like, 7 yrs and 8 months, and I have never taken any kind of time off from playing/practicing the instrument...

The longest I ever went without playing was 2 days, while I was traveling somewhere, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've even gone 1 day without playing guitar in some capacity.

so how about you?

ever taken an extended break?
do you only play every few days?
or are you hardcore like me, lol?
Do you think it's good to take breaks just for perspective? or to prevent possible injury?

discuss!
your not very hardcore.
on long car rides i bring my geetar and drum practice pad/ a bunch of sheet music.

also you can play everyday but if you only play 5 minuites it's not very "hard core."

i used to switch between playing and practicing for 6 hours a day, before i learnt how to practice better. but im also very easily amused and can do things over and over again w/o getting bored.

and yes im pretty sure a majority of the MT people here practice everyday...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Definitely take breaks. You'll know when you need one. Around the time when your playing starts to sound the same and quite uninteresting to you.

Before I pick up the guitar, I always REALLY wanna play, and not just: "Hey, I'm bored so I'll play a bit."

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I play every day. This being said, I take a 2-4 day break every month for two main reasons:

-Perspective. I think its crucial to stop playing so your mind is fresh, and so that you can refocus on technique. This way, you make sure that you stop bad habits, and your habitual approach to the instrument.
- Injury prevention. The rest is important to me because I have a bad history of tendinitis, repetitive sprain, etc. So a nice break is handy.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
hmmm... interesting.

i'd say i'm semi-hardcore. some days i only play for 15 mins or so, but i do some sort of coherent guitar activity every single day, and on days where i have the free time (which is like, 5 days a week or so), i usually play for a few hours, either alone, or with the band, or both. in my formative years, i would routinely play 6+ hours a day, and i often still do... i live at the band house, so all the gear and most of the band is usually there to encourage things.

i've had individual days where my playing has felt stale to my own ears, but it never lasts very long... if i find that i'm just not feelin' it on the creative side that day, i just accept that it's not a song-writing day, and set about playing covers, or working on the details of my pre-existing songs. as for breaking bad habits, i tend to just analyze them as i hear them, and just stop doing what i'm doing. or play other stuff for a few days and come back to what i was having trouble with another day.

(knock on wood) I've never had any kind of guitar-related injury or strain that lasted more than a few minutes. I mean, everyone gets the odd hangnail or sore callous, but like, i've not had any carpal tunnel issues (and i even type all day at my work!), or blister problems, or strained tendons. I always stop when i begin to feel muscle exhaustion, but that only comes from playing extremely fast-picked / fretboard-intensive riffs.

i guess i just haven't felt any real need to take a break yet... it's fun every day still.
Quote by bluesrocker101
I play every day. This being said, I take a 2-4 day break every month for two main reasons:

-Perspective. I think its crucial to stop playing so your mind is fresh, and so that you can refocus on technique. This way, you make sure that you stop bad habits, and your habitual approach to the instrument.
- Injury prevention. The rest is important to me because I have a bad history of tendinitis, repetitive sprain, etc. So a nice break is handy.

I play ever single day for like 3-5 hours (in small hour long sessions) and have for like the past 2 years. I can only think of a handful of times that I didnt play for a day or so. but I'm thinking about taking a couple day break for those exact reasons.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 2, 2009,
I play about 1.5-2.5 hrs/per night on weeknights, and about 4 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. That's actual guitar time, not including breaks - I'll do segments of 25 or 30 mins followed by a 10 min break, so the actual time on the clock is about an hour longer. I'll make myself take a day off about every 2 weeks, to keep things fresh and not let fatigue build up too much.
In the early years, I would take my guitar with me everywhere - vacations, work trips, you name it. These days I'll force myself not to bring it. It's good to take a longer break once in a while, and it's good to get that feeling of really missing playing - it makes it that much better when you're back home and playing again.
I play everyday for hours(5? ballpark average), but some of the time I am just going over songs or scales...not REAL guitar work. I would say I try to devote an hour a day to that.
Quote by Andragon
Definitely take breaks. You'll know when you need one. Around the time when your playing starts to sound the same and quite uninteresting to you.

Naah, dude. That's when you start an exercise from the beginning again.

Quote by Andragon
Before I pick up the guitar, I always REALLY wanna play, and not just: "Hey, I'm bored so I'll play a bit."

Yeah, guitar is not a way to escape boredom... since it sometimes can get pretty boring to play too. I... ALWAYS... REALLY... wanna play, but usually my ego doesn't. So I'll just force myself to pick up that guitar anyways. A little voice in my head might be saying:

"Hey, you don't wanna do this... there's this and that you COULD be doing. Start doing that instead."

I just ignore it and start playing anyways, because I know it's my passion. Ego doesn't matter one bit. And by playing I mean practicing. When the ego notices that I'm practicing and there's no way out, it starts to go ape**** and start makes me want to just improvise and play something whatever. This is a hard thing to ignore, but usually I can get past that too. I just ignore it and keep practicing.
This year is my 8th year of playing guitar. Because I have to prepare for a year 12 exam this year, I haven't had much time to practice. It's been about 2 weeks since I've touched my guitar. However I used to practice 2-7 hours a day everyday. I plan to play guitar all day on the holidays.
i've went out only a few times thi holiday, and each time i took my guitar with me

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I play for about an hour a day, but my dad lives in holland and I live in england so i have to go see him for extended periods of time, meaning i dont get to play my guitar when im at his house. Ive only been playing for about 3 years and Im self taught so Im not as amazing as some people
I play about 2 - 6 hours a day, on average. The longest i ever didn't play was a year... as for pieces/songs I can play... well, not really. I'm creative... the sh!t is on my profile, the good stuff safely on my harddrive (although my MT challenge (titled shameful) on my profile was an experiment that really impressed me.

I basically just make a point of having fun when I'm playing. I'm not in a race to be the fastest or the best... I'm fast enough for my standards (even though it seems I'm getting quicker every day) and my rhythm is constantly improving.

Anyone who has posted here and is bitching about someone elses playing, do yourself a favour and take part in my "evolved avo" experiment/challenge. You have 16 bars to test yr soloing skills on someone elses track and 16 bars to make your own for someone else to solo over.

Guitar and music is meant to be fun... not about how many notes you can cram into the space of a 32nd, or how much better you are than someone else or what piece you can play to show off. The trick is, when you are playing in a pub, and you get them to shutup without even playing a note... then you'll know you have something
I've gone months without playing...sometimes you just don't feel like it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by evolucian
Guitar and music is meant to be fun... not about how many notes you can cram into the space of a 32nd, or how much better you are than someone else or what piece you can play to show off.

Nope.

That's what guitar and music is meant to be for you. It might be something else to someone else.
Quote by January85
Nope.

That's what guitar and music is meant to be for you. It might be something else to someone else.

Thats a pity then.... cos the majority of the musicians around the world are set on the fun principle... I did say majority, and not minority which is the Norwegian black metal bands.
Quote by evolucian
Thats a pity then.... cos the majority of the musicians around the world are set on the fun principle... I did say majority, and not minority which is the Norwegian black metal bands.

Really? Would you like to present some research info you base this "facts" of yours on?
Quote by January85
Really? Would you like to present some research info you base this "facts" of yours on?
Why do you believe the majority of people play if its not for enjoyment of it?

@thread - whenever I can Weekdays I normally grab a few minutes before work, then play most of the evening. Except Mondays and Fridays when I spend the evening on the train lol Weekends I play whenever I'm not actively doing family stuff. Probably averages about 2 - 3 hours actual playing time a day I guess.
Sorry "master riff writer", but I based it around countless interviews I've read over the last few years so its hard to pinpoint one. But, if you would like to add the challenge as well to the rest of the UG people, then go for it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Being snotty and "self righteous" in your comments is a poor judgement on meditation and self reflection. Acceptance might be good judgement. Seeing as you have maybe been playing a few years, I'll pose you this question: Why did you start playing?

A second question will be, after a few years have passed since you started, what are your views now?

Answer those two truthfully and you may have quite a few people agreeing and feeling the same way. So to say that it may only be my sentiments, is incorrect. There "will" be others who share my opinion. For those who don't, they are fully entitled to "share" their thoughts. What this forum post started on is not what it ended on (my first post related to the TS as well as to the post 3 above mine).

If you aren't enjoying yourself in music (and a journey of discovery can very much be enjoyed), then the simple answer is to remove yourself from it. There is no competition in the overall perspective of music. If there is, then those individuals are falling into the side of vanity which is a sub chapter of the spectrum of hate and greed. Love and compassion being on the other side of the spectrum, naturally.
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 3, 2009,
I try to play for at least an hour a day at minimum.

If I have the time I will sit there for 4-6 hours sometimes...of course with 5-10 min breaks every hour or so.

Longest I ever went without playing was 2.5 years when I was in the service, then I got out and didn't really play too much for 2 years, so i basically had a 4 year break in the middle of my 12 years of playing guitar.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by January85
You guys completely missed my point.

No need to defend your views... you're entitled to keep them and I'm not gonna take them away. So don't worry.
I didn't profess a view - I just asked a question. If not for fun, what reason, in your opinion, do people have for playing? I'm not being funny (no pun intended), just curious
Quote by zhilla
I didn't profess a view - I just asked a question. If not for fun, what reason, in your opinion, do people have for playing? I'm not being funny (no pun intended), just curious

We know deep down the only reason we all play..at least the guys...is for the tang.

Besides that and fun....inner sense of accomplishment. Nothing feels better than nailing a lick at speed that you have been working on for months or even years, depending on the lick or song.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by steven seagull
I've gone months without playing...sometimes you just don't feel like it.

I've gone about a week maybe. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. If I feel something else is better use of my time I'll do that. Although I've just started a music course at college so my playing time will increase as I need to play more.
Call me Batman.
Most of the time (95%) I'm playing everyday. But it can very on that everyday how long I practice, some days Its only a small practice and just playing around with chords to songs and stuff.

But I do get times where I can procrastinate from practice, I still play songs but thats not practicing is it! Also its not just procrastination that stops me, Schoolwork, Gym, Clubs and crap and duh going out with mates limits my time and at the end of some days I just don't feel like it thus I don't practicE!

I don't care if i'm not hardcore, because I enjoy learning the music and progressing.
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Well it seems like mostly everyone here practises/plays everyday.
To me that is cool!

I HATE when I miss a day or if I get lazy and piss about, etc.
I make it a point to try to accomplish something everyday when I practise.
TOTAL BRO
Quote by bluesrocker101

This is great advice for me, thank you xx

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
Oh, and I'd love to have myself play more, but my gear doesn't give me what I'm striving for, I play a Les Paul through a Marshall with a weak clean and metal overdrive, and I'd really love to play stuff like Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan, not just metal, thats literally all my amp can produce one way or another. I probably play about 2 hours a day, and I've been playing for 2 years, and I finally know what I want, but I'm always discontented when I play with the gear I'm using, and often walk away from my instrument frustrated.

I'd probably like gear like a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Fender Stratocaster, but is there advice you guys can give me to make me more enthusiastic about my current position practice wise?

Don't think of your sister naked.

[You just did]
Quote by zhilla

There's no right answer. I can't answer for anyone but myself. That was the point. Who cares about my opinion? You? I doubt it.
I used to practice 2-3 hrs a day when I was younger and when I was doing my degree. Now, with family, a full time job, etc., I almost never get a chance to sit down and just play for *me.* I'm usually either learning songs for students, or for a band, or just not playing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by frigginjerk
I wonder how this question would fare if posted in The Pit?

It wouldn't. Nothing ever does.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.