Hey guys....quick question. My band is a blues/rock trio band so its only drums, 1 guitar, 1 bass, vocals and back up vocals. Pretty soon we're going to start recording our first actual CD to replace our demo EP. When that time comes I don't really have a good idea on how to make it sound. I'm afraid that it will sound too empty or something.

Drums are DW drums and A custom cymbals so they'll most likely turn out pretty good. Bass is a 6-string ibanez SRG or something like that in an Acoustic brand head. I'll have that direct in and also mic'ed at the cab. My guitar is a Fender Standard Strat with Texas special pickups into a Hot Rod Deluxe with all the stuff listed in my signature. I could obviously double track the guitars but how often does that happen in a blues/rock/funk situation? When I listen to SRV, Clapton, and Mayer it doesn't really seem to me that those guitars are double tracked. I know Mayer doesn't cuz I heard him say it on a video once.

Just thinkin about it and thought I'd get some opinions.....
If you're on a limited budget and don't have much gear, you might get a great result by recording it all live (except vocals) with a stereo pair of condenser mics.
Find a room where the band sound really good, mess around with the mics until you find a spot where everything sounds sweet, then let rip. Then you can overdub guitar solos and vocals, preferably in the same room to get a semi-live feel.

This method can really give really sweet results for blues/rock, classic rock as it has a very 'vintage' feel. However, it requires a tight band, great guitar tones, a solid well-tuned kit, good microphones, and a nice room with the right ambience to play in.

To mix, all you should need is a little bit of 'verb (perhaps a touch more than you'd usually use depending on the room), maybe some master bus compression to taste, and a little bit of overall EQ to balance the sound.
I wouldn't say that double tracking the guitar is the answer, but double micing would certainly help.
You could try 2 57's on the front, one just off the centre of the cone, one angled towards the side, and if you can get into a nice big room put a large diaphragm condenser a few feet back to get some reverb/ambience.

Also - the way you mix it is going to be key. You'll probably want to use a little more compression than usual, as well as EQing with plenty of mids (but not enough to make anything muddy)
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I guess I should have mentioned what we're recording with. It's not really the recording I'm worried about...just the mixing/EQing. I have a presonus firestudio project, I use Apple Logic, and we have a bunch of SM57/58's, audio-technica AT20202, an MXL9000, and two Sterling Audio ST31s.

I dunno maybe I'm just paranoid haha Our EP doesn't sound empty and we only spent 3 days on it in the studio we went to. I just want it to sound full and good so it's a good representation of our band. Keep pitching thoughts and ideas though!
catharsis, he's asking about mastering and stuff. ya know, the stuff AFTER its recording. not how to mic stuff, and what to mic it with.