So I'm probably going to get a Marshall Haze amp. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. I play classic rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.) But I don't know which to get, the 40 watt combo or the 15 watt head with the 2 cabs. I have tried them both - although to a limited extent - and they both sound nice. Which do you think I should get?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Depends, do you want more headroom, or a stack? It really just comes down to that.
If you go with either of them, be sure to use different speakers. The ones they use for the Haze are junk.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Are you for sure dead-set on the Haze? You can get a MUCH better amp for $800... they are pretty overpriced IMO. If you can go used you could easily find a JCM 800/900 on CL or Ebay within that budget easily. Also look into a NEW Vox Night Train, USED Vox AC 15/30, or a USED JCM series Marshall.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 2, 2009,
I like th 40 Watt combo, but only because it has an fx loop, where the head doesn't. the head is lower watts, so it will let you crank it up and bake some tubes without being too earth shakingly loud. So if you need the loop like I do, go for the combo, but if you are a guitar => amp kind of guy, I'd go with the head.
Good to see that someone isn't afraid to buy a Haze. I'd definitely get one if I had the money, but make sure not to get the cabs that come with it. Even if they seem like an extremely good deal, look into some other speakers. Maybe try to find a used 1960A cab or something. Many people agree that the Haze cabs are what give them a bad name.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Nobody is afraid to buy the haze, just there's better options out there, its like buying a 1990 ford tempto for the same price you'd pay for A 2002 ford mustang.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Neither IMO. You can do alot better for $750.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
You can do a hell of a lot better a t 750$
I'm not saying the Haze is bad, just that there are better options
Look into a used Peavey 5150/6505 or XXX, maybe as said before a used Marshall JCM
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
You can do a hell of a lot better a t 750$
I'm not saying the Haze is bad, just that there are better options
Look into a used Peavey 5150/6505 or XXX, maybe as said before a used Marshall JCM

No, he plays classic rock he doesn't need a monster of an amp like that, I love 6505s but for classic rock its overkill. For the price you could get a Vox AC30/15 or the new nightrain, there are also a ton of old marshall JCMs in your price range too.
Used JCM800!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
find a used studio 15 for about $650. or ac15, or night train. or get a deal on a new haze head. It should be 20% off right now if you are in the US.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by JayT44
Are you for sure dead-set on the Haze? You can get a MUCH better amp for $800... they are pretty overpriced IMO. If you can go used you could easily find a JCM 800/900 on CL or Ebay within that budget easily. Also look into a NEW Vox Night Train, USED Vox AC 15/30, or a USED JCM series Marshall.

+1 tho i havent seen very many jcm800's under $950
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
haze = overpriced, overhyped junk.

tiny terror or vox nighttrain.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by th0rzh4mm3r
+1 tho i havent seen very many jcm800's under $950

I have seen a few 800's on Ebay go for around $500... but they can go all the way up to $1500 though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Silver-spear94
haze = overpriced, overhyped junk.

tiny terror or vox nighttrain.

IMO The Tiny Terror is more overhyped and worse than than the Haze.

That said, everyone else is right. Try looking for used Marshall JCMs, Vox AC15/30, or Peavey Classic
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Although many of the amps suggested are very good, namely the JCM800, the Night Train, the Classic 30, and yes, the Haze, I think that there's even better options for you in the $800 range. The Egnater Rebel 30 combo is an excellent amp for classic rock. It's similar to a Classic 30, in that it's a 2 channel amp with a similar range of gain and similar look. However, the Rebel 30 has better clean as well as distortion channels, and some nice features not found in many amps. It's got 2 sets of power tubes, 6V6's and EL84's. You can blend these 2 to get some great sounds, namely Fender and Marshall, with unique tones somewhere in the middle. Also, if one tube dies, you can just use the other set while you get a replacement. Another excellent feature of the amp is its power scaling. You can turn the amp down to 1 watt for home practice, and bring it up to 30 watts for a gig. Since there is one power scaling knob for each channel, you can set the clean channel for early breakup or tons of headroom, while setting the dirty channel to your liking as well. You can talk Musiciansfriend down to giving it to you for $800.

Here is a youtube demo of the of the amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6EdwOuD0Aw
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Meh, the Haze is just an MG with tubes. Get a used JCM800, you'll be happier.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
Meh, the Haze is just an MG with tubes. Get a used JCM800, you'll be happier.

Wow. You haven't tried the amp, have you? It's certainly overpriced, but it's not a bad amp. I'm really tired of all the bandwagon new Marshall hatred on this forum.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Wow. You haven't tried the amp, have you? It's certainly overpriced, but it's not a bad amp. I'm really tired of all the bandwagon new Marshall hatred on this forum.

You just got here, give it time.

And I agree.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
No, he plays classic rock he doesn't need a monster of an amp like that, I love 6505s but for classic rock its overkill. For the price you could get a Vox AC30/15 or the new nightrain, there are also a ton of old marshall JCMs in your price range too.

oh didnt c that he plays classic rock
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal