What are some ways to make make a band work with two guitars. In rock music, its usually much easy(rythm and lead), but right now, my band is playing mostly leading worship at our church(where there's not as much opportunity for lead).

I'm trying to figure out a way to use two guitars, and not just have us both strumming the same chords. I'm thinking of things like one playing lightly distorted power chords, while the other backs up with clean open chords. Or maybe harmonizing power chords(though I don't really have the theory knowledge to work this out.........yet )

Any ideas?

btw, if this is the wrong thread to post this in, I'll gladly move it, just let me know!
Play metal. That should work. Jesus was a metal head.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I would also like to know this. I'm in the same situation, i can't shred at church!
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by speeddemon93
What are some ways to make make a band work with two guitars. In rock music, its usually much easy(rythm and lead), but right now, my band is playing mostly leading worship at our church(where there's not as much opportunity for lead).

I'm trying to figure out a way to use two guitars, and not just have us both strumming the same chords. I'm thinking of things like one playing lightly distorted power chords, while the other backs up with clean open chords. Or maybe harmonizing power chords(though I don't really have the theory knowledge to work this out.........yet )

Any ideas?

btw, if this is the wrong thread to post this in, I'll gladly move it, just let me know!

Harmonize.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Lovecannon
Play metal. That should work. Jesus was a metal head.

jesus listened to bad brains.
Quote by sw1ss023
I would also like to know this. I'm in the same situation, i can't shred at church!

SHRED ANYWAY! UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE GUITAR GOD TO YOUR CONGREGATION! Be sure to shout 'WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!' when you are done.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by loudog93
jesus listened to bad brains.

Nope, he only listens to **** I've heard of.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Alex Vik
Have one play acoustic guitar maybe? Back when there were two guitarists at my church, one played acoustic and the other played electric.

Good idea. A lot of bands do this anyways, like the singer plays acoustic and the lead guitarist plays electric or something like that.
Maybe both of you play the same thing but one of you has a guitar thats tuned down.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
have someone play the vocal melody!
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Lovecannon
SHRED ANYWAY! UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE GUITAR GOD TO YOUR CONGREGATION! Be sure to shout 'WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!' when you are done.

My bassist doesn't like it when i am slightly overdriven.
Off topic, i wonder what people think when they see me with my reverse headstock, pointy, FR and EMG equipped jackson dinky playing worship,
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
Quote by sw1ss023
My bassist doesn't like it when i am slightly overdriven.
Off topic, i wonder what people think when they see me with my reverse headstock, pointy, FR and EMG equipped jackson dinky playing worship,

i played my gibson sg menace during worship
I should get a Jackson RR or Warrior and play it there, just for teh lulz. Or a BC Rich, but i hate their designs...
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
bad joke time.... Get a Shecter Hellraiser and play worship make sure it's the blood red one too!

on topic though, you could do something like play octaves of either the root, 3rds, 5ths, or 7ths that could make the chords sound a bit brighter. (I think this makes sense I'm too tired and probably shouldn't be giving advice)

but like someone else said vocal melody is always cool to do, maybe even playing a different voicing of the same chord could sound cool too.

also could always just youtube other artist and see how they are using two guitars you might get inspired? good luck
My other guitarist also uses a 12 string, so...
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
if your other guitarist plays a 12 string electric then you could get really really cool sounds. you'd either have to play lead, or play the same chords, but either way with a 12 string you're guaranteed to get something awesome.

and you need to be playing one of these

Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Lovecannon
Nope, he only listens to **** I've heard of.

It's true. Dave Grohl said it himself he loved the Bad Brains

Seriously, since rhythm is a big thing in music like that, try having one guitarist use open chords and the other use barre chords. That might change things up a bit.

Or you could have one guitarist arpeggio the chords out and have the other strum them. Try and be creative while still sticking to the simple stuff.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by sw1ss023

Unfortunately, shredding is way out of the question at my church, we have a lot of older more "traditional" folks here, and were working on slowly introducing some rock stuff

Quote by Alex Vik
Have one play acoustic guitar maybe? Back when there were two guitarists at my church, one played acoustic and the other played electric.

This is a very good idea, I may try this .

Quote by TechnoLp
have someone play the vocal melody!

Our keyboardist usually has this covered, though I have tried it a little bit.
Make it into a Jazz thing. A lot of jazz guitarists were backed up by other guitars and a piano, just take turns playing the melodies and holding rhythm.
my main idea would be to play different voicings of the chords. so if one person is playing open and barre chords, the other could play simple 3 string shapes higher on the neck (i would use the high strings myself). i think this would work well in a church because the second guitar would be adding a higher, almost ringing sound that could be reminiscent of bells or something.

another idea would be to have the second guitar picking the notes of the chord. so just simple fingerpicking (or similar style with a pick) of the chords to accent the important notes and beats. simple but works well to add some extra backing that almost could be a melody.
^^^as I said, we already have a keyboard doing melody

Quote by jof1029
my main idea would be to play different voicings of the chords. so if one person is playing open and barre chords, the other could play simple 3 string shapes higher on the neck (i would use the high strings myself). i think this would work well in a church because the second guitar would be adding a higher, almost ringing sound that could be reminiscent of bells or something.

another idea would be to have the second guitar picking the notes of the chord. so just simple fingerpicking (or similar style with a pick) of the chords to accent the important notes and beats. simple but works well to add some extra backing that almost could be a melody.

This is also a good idea. I bet an acoustic strumming open, and an electric playing higher up would work really well
switch off with one playing the chording on acoustic/electric clean and open and another doing improvisation over top or in the background. I do the same thing it my church. Keyboardist is irrelevent, Guitar>keyboard, get the keyboard to pound out the bottom end. And its bs that old people dont like distortion, my church is 65% over 50 and i play distorted, wah, chorus, flange, phaser, LOTS OF ECHO; every time we play. Its a nice change especially if you arent doing it every sunday.
~Defiant~
^^^ well, we do like to try to have the keyboard playing melody most of the time, makes it easier or people to follow along.
And in our church, the music tastes don't really have all that much to do with age .....its a little complicated....
1. Go Pagan
2. Join Black Metal band
3. Shred
4. ???
5. PROFIT!!!
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Know what'd be awesome? If you just ran center stage and did this epic solo and finish with a mean ass divebomb and say "I FEEL THE SPIRIT!" Haha, that'd be so epic, I'd stop being a heathen and attend church more.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Hey,
Here's a serious reply :P
Yea, a great idea for a song with less leads would be to have one acoustic and one electric. And with a song with alot of lead, having one play lead while the other plays rhythm is key. But make sure you don't over do it. Don't play just because you're there. I'm often the only electric guitarist on my team but I make sure I don't play if there's no need. Playing a lead instrument is very complicated and the user needs to be wise on how much to use it. If used too much, it takes the focus away from God and onto you. And people tend not to like show-offs. Harmonizing two electric guitars doesn't work well in worship music and neither does shredding. Solos are appropriate in some songs but very few. So if both of you are on electric and it's a more quite song, either have one not play, or maybe have one just play clean chords at the first beat of each bar. You don't have to take my advice but I hope it helped.