So I've been thinking lately about going to culinary school after highschool (I'm in grade 11)

One thing I'm concerned about though is that I won't be making much money. What I'd really love to do is work on a crusie ship kitchen, greatly inspired after my experience on a cruise earlier this year.

I work in a restaurant now and our cooks only make 10-12$ an hour, with our kitchen manager making 14.

If anybody has gone to culinary school or is in the line of work I'm interested in, is this a wise career choice? Or am I going to be next to broke if I continue on with this path.

Thanks a lot

TL;DR: Is going to culinary school a good idea or not?
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
depends on which restaurant how much you know, and how well you cook
up for adoption

How am I in bed you ask?

Quote by metaldud536
Shallow and pedantic

The college im going to has one of the best culinary programs in the country. Im told by friends who are taking said program that they will be making the big moneys.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Hmm, thanks a lot.

I really do enjoy cooking and working in a restaurant but like I said I just don't want ti be broke, if I'm doing a job that pays more but I'm not as happy I will sacriice my happiness to not be a bum.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
I was a Chef & Assistant Director of Food & Beverages for a baseball stadium in the midwest for 5 years before joining the military. I also cooked at Old Chicago for 2 years. Here's my take:

You make money by where you're employed & how well your credentials are. For example, I worked at Old Chicago for 2 years, but only made $8/hour.. working 72-hour weeks. They didn't need me as much as I needed them. I then worked at the stadium for $9/hour working 70-hour weeks. They needed me, so they paid more. The chef that was training me at the time was making $17, and that's because he had a Bachelors of Culinary Arts under his belt. My Director of Food & Beverages was making $25/hour, with Culinary Arts & Business degrees on him.

So it really depends on what experience you have & where you work. I'm planning on going down the road in this career & I love every second of it.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
The college im going to has one of the best culinary programs in the country. Im told by friends who are taking said program that they will be making the big moneys.

haha, i suggest you go to somewhere other than schoolcraft, but thats cool if your gonna be doin the culinary stuff with all the master chefs.
If you go to a good culinary school and work hard you can start off making $50,00 a year.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Usually restaurant cooks don't need a degree unless it's a REALLY good restaurant.
Culinary degrees are more about very fine restaurants and hotels. Which by the way have a good pay.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Lasyk
Hmm, thanks a lot.

I really do enjoy cooking and working in a restaurant but like I said I just don't want ti be broke, if I'm doing a job that pays more but I'm not as happy I will sacriice my happiness to not be a bum.

if you decide to peruse culinary arts checkout schoolcraft college in Livonia Michigan. Its real cheap for the education your getting.

EDIT:

Quote by bullet_esp \m/
haha, i suggest you go to somewhere other than schoolcraft, but thats cool if your gonna be doin the culinary stuff with all the master chefs.

HEY! schoolcraft is a great school. and how'd you know i was talking about schoolcraft
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Last edited by Fenderhippie69 at Sep 2, 2009,