Page 1 of 2
i have a squier affinity strat. the damn thing goes out of tune everytime i whammy. i've tried using pencil lead. i've tried strechting the strings infront of and behind the nut. the thing always goes out of tune.

whats a solution?

ps. to the people i annoyed by double-posting. im sorry. im impatient and want to fix my LP quickly. i wasnt thinking right. forgive me?
already forgiven, you haven't been warned.

anyway, get new tuners. that's the easiest only fix. if you can help it, dont skimp. otherwise you'll just be buying new just-as-crappy tuners.
Your Squier guitar will go out of tune when you use the whammy. It's unavoidable. The only other problem/solution I can think of is that your nut slots are too tight and need to be filed a bit. This is likely if you play with higher gauge strings than the factory setup.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by Invader Jim
already forgiven, you haven't been warned.

anyway, get ne tuners. that's the easiest only fix.

Quoted for truth. A set of new tuners will solve your issues faster than Michael Phelps can take a bong hoot.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
and don't go too crazy with the whammy bar
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
what does skimp mean. locking tuners? would you guys suggest a specific model?

actually. i might turn the damn thing into a frankenstrat build next summer. since is routed for a HB. my problem is how to install the FR bridge.
He's saying don't be cheap when getting new tuners, buy quality stuff, and get grover's or sperzels IMHO
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by Luxifer
what does skimp mean. locking tuners? would you guys suggest a specific model?

actually. i might turn the damn thing into a frankenstrat build next summer. since is routed for a HB. my problem is how to install the FR bridge.

Measure and route.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
sht just realized my squier is a rosewood fretboard T_T

might have to consider warmoth but my parents forbid me from buying online. ... great
grover whats? sperzel whats? can i get a UG-approved tuner set that will keep my squier in tune?
Sperzel Trim-Loks. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Sperzel_Tuners.html

I have them in combination with a Wilkinson VS100 (great trem, by the way. Stays in tune really well when there's locking tuners). Best tuners I've ever used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Luxifer
grover whats? sperzel whats? can i get a UG-approved tuner set that will keep my squier in tune?

those WERE tuner sets that will keep your squire in tune.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by Luxifer
sht just realized my squier is a rosewood fretboard T_T

might have to consider warmoth but my parents forbid me from buying online. ... great

So? It's rosewood. Your point is.... (finish this sentence!)

Then just get a friend who has a credit card and pay him back, tell your parents you got it from him.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
So? It's rosewood. Your point is.... (finish this sentence!)

Then just get a friend who has a credit card and pay him back, tell your parents you got it from him.

Rosewood Shmosewood.
You can still route for a locking nut or a roller nut if your guitar has a rosewood FB.
I'd suggest the roller nut and a wilkinson tremolo. Cheaper and you're WAY less likely to **** up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^plus wilkinson's look SHMEXAY!
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

grovers or sperzels?

@ Albino - eddie had a birdseye maple neck to my knowledge... i want my replica to be as close as possible.
I say sperzel's kuz you can choose colors, but some people think it's easier to lock grovers. I've used them both and they are both fine.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

guys i think tuners are easiest to replace. are they? will i ahve to drill new holes or anything? i've decided im gonna go with locking tuners just for the fo shizzles. plus. they give me confidence that the strats gonna stay in tune. like what if the non-locking tuners dont stay in tune?
you will have to drill new holes atleast for the sperzel's (can't remember if I did for grovers) but its uber simple.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

dammit musicians friend and guitar center dont carry grovers

i live in toronto so its gonna be EVEN hard to find them. also. i dont buy online. i probably never will until i get my 18w tmb from ceriatone. god that moment is gonna be magical.
Quote by Luxifer
grovers or sperzels?

@ Albino - eddie had a birdseye maple neck to my knowledge... i want my replica to be as close as possible.

Ah I see. Well that's unfortunate... buy a new neck?

Quote by Luxifer
dammit musicians friend and guitar center dont carry grovers

i live in toronto so its gonna be EVEN hard to find them. also. i dont buy online. i probably never will until i get my 18w tmb from ceriatone. god that moment is gonna be magical.

Well I live in Winnipeg, a.k.a. Butt**** Canada. If I can find quality tuners here, then surely you can go to one of the 14 conveniently located Long & McQuades there and find something suitable.

EDIT: Wait, you don't buy online or you aren't allowed to?

If you don't, explain why and I'll explain why you're wrong.

If you aren't allowed, use my previous suggestion of going through a friend.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Well I live in Winnipeg, a.k.a. Butt**** Canada.

I live in REGINA, SASKATCHEWAN. You don't know what you're talking about
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I live in REGINA, SASKATCHEWAN. You don't know what you're talking about

you poor bastard. Been there, done that, tasted the corn smelly water (is it still like that? As I recall, city tapwater starts to smell like ass toward the end of summer, and I never know why...) and I'm never goin back!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
you poor bastard. Been there, done that, tasted the corn smelly water (is it still like that? As I recall, city tapwater starts to smell like ass toward the end of summer, and I never know why...) and I'm never goin back!

I don't really know. Lived here all my life so I'm probably so used to it I never notice. But I don't tend to drink the tap water anywhere. Always bottled
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Ah I see. Well that's unfortunate... buy a new neck?

Well I live in Winnipeg, a.k.a. Butt**** Canada. If I can find quality tuners here, then surely you can go to one of the 14 conveniently located Long & McQuades there and find something suitable.

EDIT: Wait, you don't buy online or you aren't allowed to?

If you don't, explain why and I'll explain why you're wrong.

If you aren't allowed, use my previous suggestion of going through a friend.

i dont buy online cuz im not allowed to. i wont do it thru a friend cuz im azn. we dont do that stuff.
I reccomend Schaller tuners, I have them on one guitar and they stay in tune for weeks at a time, better than the fender and 'no name' tuners that I have experience with.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Locking tuners aint gona do all that much for you, but better tuners will help slightly, if you want to be able to use the wammy bar to any extent on a squier affinity you need to buy new saddles and a new nut. I have yet to find a replacement nut that has the right specs for the affinity standard. Something better than the cast saddles and crappy plastic nut will greatly improve your tuning stability.
holy **** guys. i just had an insane idea. how bout an iceman build with an EVH finish.
whatever... im gonna give up on the whole squier thing... for now anyways. i just want to fix my LP first...
Quote by Luxifer
i dont buy online cuz im not allowed to. i wont do it thru a friend cuz im azn. we dont do that stuff.

I have a Filipino friend who's the same way, he buys his things online through me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Luxifer
dude. iceman + evh finish. god that would be beautiful

What's that got to do with your squire going out of tune?

Also an ice man with an EVH finish would look dreadfull, as would any guitar with an EVH finish.

Also it's not nice to start a thread asking for help, then when your given help decide that.. whatever... your not gonna bother anyways.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
if i HAVE to replace the nut and the saddles and stuff. id rather not bother. this thread was helpful right until i hit that news... i thought new tuners would fix the damn thing.

:O no way. how can you not like the EVH finish. i bet you like the wangcaster
Quote by Luxifer
if i HAVE to replace the nut and the saddles and stuff. id rather not bother. this thread was helpful right until i hit that news... i thought new tuners would fix the damn thing.

:O no way. how can you not like the EVH finish. i bet you like the wangcaster

You dont HAVE to change the saddles and stuff although it would be better if you did. If you were to change just the tuners it will improve your tuning stability alot more than if you were to do nothing at all to your guitar, is that not common sense?

I don't like the EVH finish because its extremly cheesy, like his guitar playing. Also it's somebody else's finish, thats tacky, be original... plus the design its self from an artistic point of view looks ****ty anyways.

I'd prefer to own a wangcaster than an EVH.
theres a fine line between STABLE and MORE STABLE. i want to be in the STABLE zone. i dont want to be stable-er. if im still gonna go out of tune with new locking tuners then screw it.

i dunno. the EVH finish is cool. besides. i have nothing better to do.
Every guitar goes out of tune eventually, buying some good quality tuners will improve your problem, as would buying new saddles, both of which arn't LOADS of money.

Fair enough, but I think people should always try and be original, if you have nothing better to do, come up with a design and paint that onto your guitar.
Well going out of tune is inevitble no matter what tuners you have... If you replaced your hardware with a Floyd Rose and locking mechanism like on a Schecter Damien FR, and got some new tuners, you would definately stay in tune for a long ass time.
Page 1 of 2