i've looked at a couple threads about stripping paint off a guitar body and was wondering if the same would apply to a neck. i have a jackson explorer and one of the previous owners decided to paint the guitar including the neck and headstock. this makes the guitar extremely annoying and hard to play. can i follow the same techinques to strip to paint or should i spring for a new neck?

thanks in advance
You can follow the same techniques. I recommend sanding.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^yep, just sand the thing till you get all the paint off, it'll play a lot better, feel less sticky.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Remember to protect the wood after, though. Sweat will discolour your wood, and humidity/sweat moisture could even warp the wood given enough time.

For a smooth, playable finish I recommend satin clearcoat lacquer/poly or an oil finish.

If you just want the neck to be more playable (not sticky) and not remove the colour, simply scuff up the neck with some 600 grit sandpaper.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i stripped the paint off my epiphone les paul, then re varnished it was a polyurethane varnish by plasti-kote. didn't sand it down a bit afterwards but still plays a treat.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by Albino_Rhino

For a smooth, playable finish I recommend satin clearcoat lacquer/poly or an oil finish.

This is good advice right here. I thought I liked the feel of the bare wood til I actually got around to putting some semi-gloss polyurethane on my bass neck, and OH LORD such a difference and it just feels amazing.
Just give it two days to cure though, first time I tried clearcoating a neck with poly I didn't wait long enough. It was nasty.
thanks for all the advice. i sanded down the neck today and it feels great. i still have the head to do but i am going to wait until i restring it and take out the tuners before i tackle that.

cheers and thanks again
Quote by Demonicdude
i've looked at a couple threads about stripping paint off a guitar body and was wondering if the same would apply to a neck. i have a jackson explorer and one of the previous owners decided to paint the guitar including the neck and headstock. this makes the guitar extremely annoying and hard to play. can i follow the same techinques to strip to paint or should i spring for a new neck?

thanks in advance

Whats a jackson explorer
e-married to Jack (bladez)
You have to refinish it though. If you dislike the feeling of the paint, then you'd most definitely like oil finishes. They play like butta
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack