hey guys

http://www.myspace.com/strych9band

this is my band we play metal mostly but anyway

i am really looking for honest input

like i dont care if your brutally honest, if you think we suck, go ahead and say it, and tell me how you think we can improve, any advice is helpful

thanks alot guys

remember be brutally honest!! any input is greatly appreciated

(try to ignore the bad quality of our recordings haha)

Last edited by julian2k4 at Sep 3, 2009,
music is solid, do not care for the singing. Maybe suggest some vocal lessons for the singer or a replacement and have him focus on rhythm guitar more. Don't know...but yeah the music is solid
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
I thought it was good, and the vocals were interesting and very thrashy sounding. Did you guys pay for those recordings, if you did then studios are getting quite low. I just record with a rock band mic and that works the best if you have one btw.
brutally honest? Good mentality to have.

The music is very unoriginal. Sounds almost exactly slayer imo.

Very very classic metal sound. If that's your influence, that's great, but it's not great that you sound exactly like them.

Not that sounding like classic metal is bad, but when you don't have any sort of original flare or uniqueness that your band is known for you wont get anywhere.

Iced Earth is a very old school style band, but they are still original at what they do.

The singing is absolutely horrible. You could ask just about any guy off the street to sing for you all and the quality of what you're getting wont change much at all.

So my advice is:

Keep writing music, as you write your sound will become more define and your music will become more solid and distinctive.

Get a new singer. No questions. No promising qualities coming from that guy.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
well lets be as honest and fair as possible hear because i know the feeling of wanting "brutal feedback". (i listened to the tracks not the videos mainly to hear you clearly)

things i like
1. Old school thrash influence
2. nice creative ideas for parts of songs

things I don't like
1. the singer... I can't get into it. I don't like the vocals at all
2. some of the rhythm sections just didn't quite "pop"
3. lyrics... Not my scene, so i'm sure something like this would work for other people but im picky on vocalist and really have high expectations of them

Things that need improvement
1. audio recording (duh... but whatever, its not bad...maybe more eqing )

2.the guitar base (i'm going to be really picky here because we all need to be critical of ourselves. I'm assuming you (thread starter are the lead guitarist) so more subcategories

first let me say you have some speed (i'm sure you know this) and a lot of potential to drive the band as the "leader" but you are lacking important things in your playing

a. start focusing less on speed and more on tone and precision. I can hear your mistakes very clearly on the recordings and your pushing yourself to much right now to drive the band. SLOW DOWN, focus on practicing with a metronome on set patterns instead of just trying to play fast to impress the crowd. Make sure every note rings out clearly and distinctly, because if it doesn't you need to slow it down and work your way up.

b. some of the solos on the recordings weren't "tight". I could hear varying tempos where your not really focusing on rhythmic playing by staying on beat with your solos. you need to do this. It will make everything sound way better. I honestly had the same problem and it sucks at first but helps more than you can imagine.

but like i said your pretty good... you just need a little more control in your leads and you will make the band stand out. I can see where it will happen if you work more on that.

TLDR version
vocals..no
guitar... not bad - good but needs to be cleaned up and put onto a more clear rhythm/beat. make rhythm riffs pop more
everything else...didn't really care to pay attention, to busy focusing on guitar...
Quote by teethdude
I thought it was good, and the vocals were interesting and very thrashy sounding. Did you guys pay for those recordings, if you did then studios are getting quite low. I just record with a rock band mic and that works the best if you have one btw.

no this was all for free in a friends garage, to be honest none of us knew what the hell we were doing haha
Quote by touji-za-nai
brutally honest? Good mentality to have.

The music is very unoriginal. Sounds almost exactly slayer imo.

Very very classic metal sound. If that's your influence, that's great, but it's not great that you sound exactly like them.

Not that sounding like classic metal is bad, but when you don't have any sort of original flare or uniqueness that your band is known for you wont get anywhere.

Iced Earth is a very old school style band, but they are still original at what they do.

The singing is absolutely horrible. You could ask just about any guy off the street to sing for you all and the quality of what you're getting wont change much at all.

So my advice is:

Keep writing music, as you write your sound will become more define and your music will become more solid and distinctive.

Get a new singer. No questions. No promising qualities coming from that guy.

thanks for your opinion!! yea we really try not to sound like slayer, we hate slayer haha and all the metal bands in southern California sound like slayer, so yea we will continue to work on that

yea we're constantly trying to write new material and stuff and trying to find that unique sound

thanks man i really appreciated your opinion
Quote by firebird103
well lets be as honest and fair as possible hear because i know the feeling of wanting "brutal feedback". (i listened to the tracks not the videos mainly to hear you clearly)

things i like
1. Old school thrash influence
2. nice creative ideas for parts of songs

things I don't like
1. the singer... I can't get into it. I don't like the vocals at all
2. some of the rhythm sections just didn't quite "pop"
3. lyrics... Not my scene, so i'm sure something like this would work for other people but im picky on vocalist and really have high expectations of them

Things that need improvement
1. audio recording (duh... but whatever, its not bad...maybe more eqing )

2.the guitar base (i'm going to be really picky here because we all need to be critical of ourselves. I'm assuming you (thread starter are the lead guitarist) so more subcategories

first let me say you have some speed (i'm sure you know this) and a lot of potential to drive the band as the "leader" but you are lacking important things in your playing

a. start focusing less on speed and more on tone and precision. I can hear your mistakes very clearly on the recordings and your pushing yourself to much right now to drive the band. SLOW DOWN, focus on practicing with a metronome on set patterns instead of just trying to play fast to impress the crowd. Make sure every note rings out clearly and distinctly, because if it doesn't you need to slow it down and work your way up.

b. some of the solos on the recordings weren't "tight". I could hear varying tempos where your not really focusing on rhythmic playing by staying on beat with your solos. you need to do this. It will make everything sound way better. I honestly had the same problem and it sucks at first but helps more than you can imagine.

but like i said your pretty good... you just need a little more control in your leads and you will make the band stand out. I can see where it will happen if you work more on that.

TLDR version
vocals..no
guitar... not bad - good but needs to be cleaned up and put onto a more clear rhythm/beat. make rhythm riffs pop more
everything else...didn't really care to pay attention, to busy focusing on guitar...

yea i see what you guys say about the singer, but sometimes i think maybe if we are recording in a better studio or whatnot, his voice will sound better, because he does sound great live, in my opinion

yea i know what you mean about the gutar solos, yea im trying to really get away from all that fast playing, well only do it sometimes yaknow? sometimes i find it hard to play solo, because like the rythym section is playing fast haha but we have this new song where we finally have a slow solo section so i hope u can listen to it when we record it and tell me what you think

thanks man