Im going to get myself a birthday present and i dont know if i should just buy a line6 toneport kb37 or a toneport UX2 and a M-audio Oxygen 8.
what do you guys think would be better?

thanks in advance

(sorry if this isn't the right place to post)
Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 3, 2009,
I'm thinking on buying the line 6 kb37! But because i don't know better options for 400~dollars (I have to get a new pc also!)

So I'm going to be watching this thread.

But none of them has a Midi output :S
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Firstly, they are both MIDI controllers. Of course they have MIDI out.
[EDIT] Holy ****, the kb actually doesn't have a MIDI out. But why would you need one anyway? You are guitarists right?

Personally I'd go for the kb37, the Oxygen's a great beginner keyboard but you'll find yourself wanting more. Also the toneport just looks soooo cool! (I was lusting over one before I even took up the guitar)
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Last edited by Union Of V at Sep 3, 2009,
Thanks Union .

Yup im mainly a guitarist, but i was also thinking of getting some synths on my recordings, nothing to awesome just basic stuff. is the midi out something i would really need? (sorry im really new to keyboards)

The price of buying the Kb37 or the UX2+Oxygen8 its basically the same (1 euro diference) , but i didnt find that much about the Kb37 keyboad quality (however it would be nice to have "mini studio" in one piece of gear), on the other hand i heard that the oxygen 8 is pretty good.

any more opinions ?
Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by KirbyzShadow
Thanks Union .

Yup im mainly a guitarist, but i was also thinking of getting some synths on my recordings, nothing to awesome just basic stuff. is the midi out something i would really need? (sorry im really new to keyboards)

The price of buying the Kb37 or the UX2+Oxygen8 its basically the same (1 euro diference) , but i didnt find that much about the Kb37 keyboad quality (however it would be nice to have "mini studio" in one piece of gear), on the other hand i heard that the oxygen 8 is pretty good.

any more opinions ?

I have an oxygen lying against the wall next to me, and it's plastic. Plastic as in you could throw it across the stage and not worry about it breaking, but drop an amp on top and crack. I have heard people describing the KB37's casing as tough, so it's probably slightly better (still plastic though).

Do you need MIDI out? You only need MIDI out if you're buying a synth without a keyboard. For beginner synths I'd be looking at a Microkorg (horrible keys but people love it for some reason), Micron, Blofeld, MS2000 or some of the Novation stuff. Out of all of those only the Blofeld has no keys. So the quick answer is no, unless you want to buy the Blofeld (which still may be all you ever need in a synth) you don't need MIDI out.

So the most important question is really, what do you want from a synth?
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
I have an oxygen lying against the wall next to me, and it's plastic. Plastic as in you could throw it across the stage and not worry about it breaking, but drop an amp on top and crack. I have heard people describing the KB37's casing as tough, so it's probably slightly better (still plastic though).

Do you need MIDI out? You only need MIDI out if you're buying a synth without a keyboard. For beginner synths I'd be looking at a Microkorg (horrible keys but people love it for some reason), Micron, Blofeld, MS2000 or some of the Novation stuff. Out of all of those only the Blofeld has no keys. So the quick answer is no, unless you want to buy the Blofeld (which still may be all you ever need in a synth) you don't need MIDI out.

So the most important question is really, what do you want from a synth?

I just wanted to do stuff like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6ax1zF0oA or the intro in this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3kugxhT0Q

im more of a metal player but im getting more into eletronic stuff for a solo "side project" just for fun , so i would want the one that would give me more space for improvement .

the only 3 synths that i can buy are the KB37, the Oxygen and the microkorg since theres not that much places that sell this kind of gear near and i cant buy from the internet, and from what i know the microkorg is known to brake quite fast and i would like to buy something that i could keep for a while.

basically is what i said before i would want the one that would give me more space for improvement ,I just dont know wich one it is

Thanks once again Union
Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by KirbyzShadow
I just wanted to do stuff like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6ax1zF0oA or the intro in this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3kugxhT0Q

im more of a metal player but im getting more into eletronic stuff for a solo "side project" just for fun , so i would want the one that would give me more space for improvement .

the only 3 synths that i can buy are the KB37, the Oxygen and the microkorg since theres not that much places that sell this kind of gear near and i cant buy from the internet, and from what i know the microkorg is known to brake quite fast and i would like to buy something that i could keep for a while.

basically is what i said before i would want the one that would give me more space for improvement ,I just dont know wich one it is

Thanks once again Union

The KB37 and the Oxygen are MIDI *controllers*, not synths. They don't make sounds.

The sounds you're looking for are very Microkorg-ey, especially that second vid reeeeks of Microkorg (Enter Shikari Enter Shikari...). I'd advise you against getting one because
A: It's hard to program, so you won't bother and end up sounding like every indie electronica band.
B: It's keys are TINY!!! Impossible to play!
Seriously consider buying from the internet. The cheapest you'll get is the Novation X-Station, which is more powerful than it's price tag suggests. Otherwise if you can go Ebay (which is a wise choice when buying synths) look for the MS2000, same innards as the Microkorg without the retarded design.

But if you simply can't.... some people have done amazing things with that toy. Just take some time to find out how synths work, and how to program them, and you can use it to it's advantage.
Quote by Tombe
well now i know what i needed

Thank you very much for the help

Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 5, 2009,