i just finished customizing my bass and got some strings from my local guitar shop. but they are waaaaaaay too long. i mean they have got to be 30% too long at least. they are apparently long scale, which i thought was 35 frets which my bass is O_o i guess my question is: is it safe to cut the strings with a wire cutter to make them the right size, or do i need to exchange them?
you could just wrap them around the tuning post a few more times.

And I wouldn't personally class 35" as long scale
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
35 frets?!? Inches? How far past the nut does the nylon start? I have a 34" scale with Extralong scale Rotosounds and the nylon starts about a inch past the nut (of the guitar). My strings are perfectly fine (I don't remember how much I cut off of them though). (I cut my strings because they were too long as well)

Quote by gilly_90
you could just wrap them around the tuning post a few more times.

And I wouldn't personally class 35" as long scale

35" is long scale though...

Make sure that if you cut them, you try not to cut a lot. My D string (the tuning pegs are three/left and two/right, so D is the longest) is a tad bit too short. It is OK (even to tune up to D#), but I am just afraid for it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 3, 2009,
The come that long so you can cut them. It's 35" scale, not 35 frets btw.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
if you wrap, it doesn't much longer. if I don't actually see wire cutters, I do the full wind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
if you wrap, it doesn't much longer. if I don't actually see wire cutters, I do the full wind.

that made no sense
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
hmm i see, well i dont know anything about measurements etc. i had a really bad teacher when i was in 5th grade and that happened to be the grade we were taught all of that kind of stuff so my knowledge is that of a 9 year olds. all i know is that the strings are waaaay to ****ing long. my friend came over to help me and we had the strings wrapped around so much that the nuts had turned into balls of string and they still weren't tight enough. but i know that i can cut them and thats all i needed to know. thanks for the advice and impute.
Quote by gilly_90

that made no sense

wrap without cutting em.

it takes less time than you think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
wrap without cutting em.

it takes less time than you think.

well i tried but the strings so long that i run out of room to wrap. it literally turns into a ball instead of a cylinder...
Last edited by bass-boy-garith at Sep 3, 2009,
Make sure you fold the string where you intend to do the cut, that's the safe way (recommended on the DR string bags!)
Baaaaaaazz
thanks to QvistDK and delirium for that extra bit of advice. ile make sure to follow it. and i always do my best to make sure the strings dont overlap. im really OC that way although im sure there is a better reason to do it than that.
I use a plasma torch to cut my strings to size. Cutting bass strings with ordinary scissors/pliers/tin snips wears them out too fast.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
I use a plasma torch to cut my strings to size. Cutting bass strings with ordinary scissors/pliers/tin snips wears them out too fast.

a plasma cutter?

now that's dedication.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Deliriumbassist
You only really need 2-4 wraps around a tuning post. I load the strings through the bridge, and measure about 10cm past the relevant tuning post, and cut there.Then proceed to wrap the strings around the post without overlapping the strings.

Ben is correct and overwraps can cause you problems folks.

Buy a set of wire clippers and keep them in your case / gig bag. Seriously, they're cheap and a set will last you your respective lifetime.

Back in the day, my first guitar teacher was anal about this. He taught me to bring the string up to the tuning post and create a loop about the size of an American quarter coin. Cut the string where the loop starts. Viola!.
Quote by anarkee

Back in the day, my first guitar teacher was anal about this. He taught me to bring the string up to the tuning post and create a loop about the size of an American quarter coin. Cut the string where the loop starts. Viola!.

Can you explain better? It sounds like you know a pretty sure fire way to get a good string length, but I cant visualize it from that description
Oh, and just to clear up a mistake earlier in the thread.

34" = Long Scale
35" = Extra-long Scale.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You only really need 2-4 wraps around a tuning post. I load the strings through the bridge, and measure about 10cm past the relevant tuning post, and cut there.Then proceed to wrap the strings around the post without overlapping the strings.

this is pretty much what i does too.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by tubatom868686
Can you explain better? It sounds like you know a pretty sure fire way to get a good string length, but I cant visualize it from that description

I'll take some pictures later and post them up in the thread. Unfortunately, I'm at work at the present time.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I did forget to mention wrap from top to the bottom of the post, therefore maxisiming the angle between nut and post. Seems to keep tuning nice and tight.

This is pretty important actually. you actually get better sustain when you do this because it holds the string against the nut tighter so that it doesn't vibrate in the nut at all.

Also, you should wrap the string around the tuning post in the direction that keeps the string the straightest after the nut. You don't want too much sideways pressure on the nut. It can cause the nut to break off.

So to recap:
the strings should wrap around the post 2-4 times
bend the string where you intend to cut it and then use wire cutters
always wrap top to bottom
always make sure that you wrap around the post to in the direction that the string will be the straightest after passing the nut.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i usaully take my hand and point it striaght up on the 12th fret with the string draped over it and i hold it to the tuning peg i want that string in i cut it there taht way there is the extra string room for the wind. i have knida big hands too tho so this may not work for you.
Quote by Revelation
This is pretty important actually. you actually get better sustain when you do this because it holds the string against the nut tighter so that it doesn't vibrate in the nut at all.

Also, you should wrap the string around the tuning post in the direction that keeps the string the straightest after the nut. You don't want too much sideways pressure on the nut. It can cause the nut to break off.

So to recap:
the strings should wrap around the post 2-4 times
bend the string where you intend to cut it and then use wire cutters
always wrap top to bottom
always make sure that you wrap around the post to in the direction that the string will be the straightest after passing the nut.

well i pritty much did all of that so it seems to have worked out pritty well
= D its nice havng you guys here. makes everything much easier