Hey

I was curious to see how you all learned triads, chords, and inversions all around the fretboard. Do you pick one chord at a time and find every inversion of it all over the board or do you use another method?

Last edited by Angry-Mares at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Angry-Mares
Hey

I was curious to see how you all learned triads, chords, and inversions all around the fretboard. Do you pick one chord at a time and find every inversion of it all over the board or do you use another method?

I 1st learned what they were/how they are constructed. Then I learned the voicings on the guitar neck in various keys. I did spend some time memorizing the triad/inversion shapes on the fretboard
shred is gaudy music
#
step1
Define an Interval. An interval is the distance between two notes. We measure from the lower note to the higher one. Intervals come in different qualities and size. Qualities are If the notes are sounded successively, it is a melodic interval. If sounded simultaneously, then it is a harmonic interval.
#
Step 2

Define keywords for interval qualities: Major, Minor, Perfect, Augmented, and Diminished.
#
Step 3

Define interval sizes: 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6th, 7th, Octave, 9ths, 10ths, 11ths, 12ths, 13ths, 14th,Octave. C to E is a Major 3rd
#
Step 4

Find the new interval size. Lets invert C to E, a Major 3rd. When Inverting, the sum of the two sizes will equal 9. Thus, 2nds become 9ths, 3rds become 6ths, 4ths become 5ths, etc. So, E to C is 6th, but what kind of sixth?
#
Step 5

Find the new quality. Major become minor, Augmented becomes diminished, and perfect stays perfect. C to E is a Major 3rd, E to C is a minor 6th.
#
Step 6

Next, learn about inverting chords.
=====================================================
invoice factoring
sba 8a
I agree with munky;

Learning the triad shapes is an extremely good base;

Especially if you are going to sightread it is very usefull.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
he doesnt mean inverted; he means that counting from the scale, the 2nd and the 9th are the same note. int he key of C the 2nd and the 9th are both Ds.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
he doesnt mean inverted; he means that counting from the scale, the 2nd and the 9th are the same note. int he key of C the 2nd and the 9th are both Ds.

If he meant that then there'd still be errors:

Quote by graphs88
Thus, 2nds become 9ths, 3rds become 6ths, 4ths become 5ths, etc.

If 2nds become 9s, then 3rds would become 10ths, then 4ths would become 11ths, etc...

Either way, he's wrong.
Quote by isaac_bandits
If he meant that then there'd still be errors:

If 2nds become 9s, then 3rds would become 10ths, then 4ths would become 11ths, etc...

Either way, he's wrong.

These aren't errors.........

9th = 2nd + octave
10th = 3rd + octave
11th = 4th + octave
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
These aren't errors.........

9th = 2nd + octave
10th = 3rd + octave
11th = 4th + octave

Read his post again. He says

2nd becomes 9th
3rd becomes 6th
4th becomes 5th

It should either be:
2nd becomes 7th
3rd becomes 6th
4th becomes 5th

Or:
2nd becomes 9th
3rd becomes 10th
4th becomes 11th
Quote by isaac_bandits
Read his post again. He says

2nd becomes 9th
3rd becomes 6th
4th becomes 5th

It should either be:
2nd becomes 7th
3rd becomes 6th
4th becomes 5th

Or:
2nd becomes 9th
3rd becomes 10th
4th becomes 11th

Yeah, I misunderstood you, sorry. I thought you were saying that 2 = 9 3= 10...ect was incorrect.

I agree that in terms of inversions..

2nd becomes 7th
3rd becomes 6th
4th becomes 5th

and in terms of compound intervals..

2nd becomes 9th
3rd becomes 10th
4th becomes 11th
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 7, 2009,