This might of been asked before, i'm not sure.. But i'm getting my tube amp in the next few weeks and automaticaly assumed that all bias probes are the same.. So they aren't exactly easy to find here, and i emailed a tube business, which they got back to me and asked:

Quote by Them

Marc,
Do you want an 8 or 9 pin probe? I can make one for you, need to know what valves you are looking to test.

The amp is a bugera 6262, 6x 12AX7's, which will be JJ's, 4x KT77's, also JJs..

Any help?
dunno you could try asking the tube bussiness and im sure theyd be able to help you
Don't most Bugeras have biasing test points?

I remember seeing at least a couple of Bugera amps with bias points on them.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The test points Bugera give for their amps are basically incorrect, they measure in negative voltage, if I can remember correctly...

So yeah, if you've got a Bugera you need to bias with a bias probe!

TS, pm HouseBoy, he's running kt77's in his 6262, he'll be able to tell you everything you need to know
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by CrazehSteve
The test points Bugera give for their amps are basically incorrect, they measure in negative voltage, if I can remember correctly...

So yeah, if you've got a Bugera you need to bias with a bias probe!

TS, pm HouseBoy, he's running kt77's in his 6262, he'll be able to tell you everything you need to know

Thanks man, i was trying to find the biasing bugera blog by bloodshed i think his name is, but couldn't find it.. I knew they weren't collect since i've followed the militia thread for a while..

Shall do
Quote by CrazehSteve

That would be because valves are biased with a -ve voltage? so what's wrong with it reading -ve?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
KT77 or whatever = 8 pin (octal) socket.

Only real power tube that is 9 pin (noval) is the EL84.

Make sure that the probe measure the current in the tube, NOT the bias voltage.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
You only need 9 pins if you're running EL84s.

Get 8.

Edit: ^ Beat me.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
That would be because valves are biased with a -ve voltage? so what's wrong with it reading -ve?

Please don't make comments like this without KNOWING all the information involved. When biasing an amp, you want read ACTUAL plate current by using a probe or a test point that reads ACTUAL plate current.

Peavey XXX and Bugera test points DO NOT do this.
^Beerchurch states the truth +1
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by ShallowEndings
This might of been asked before, i'm not sure.. But i'm getting my tube amp in the next few weeks and automaticaly assumed that all bias probes are the same.. So they aren't exactly easy to find here, and i emailed a tube business, which they got back to me and asked:

The amp is a bugera 6262, 6x 12AX7's, which will be JJ's, 4x KT77's, also JJs..

Any help?

you need the 8 pin bias probe.
i think the 9 pins are for the EL84 type tubes they put in like Classic 30s, HRD,a nd amps like that

i run KT77s in my 6262 i bias it to about 36mA. going any higher then 37-38 will lower the tubes life. 36mA gives me a real warm tone with great breakup
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by BeerChurch

Please don't make comments like this without KNOWING all the information involved. When biasing an amp, you want read ACTUAL plate current by using a probe or a test point that reads ACTUAL plate current.

Peavey XXX and Bugera test points DO NOT do this.

+2
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by HouseBoy83

i run KT77s in my 6262 i bias it to about 36mA. going any higher then 37-38 will lower the tubes life. 36mA gives me a real warm tone with great breakup

That depends on the plate volatage as well, but regardless, 35-42 is perfectly safe without any harm being done to the tubes or amp. Sure the hotter you run your tube bias the shorter their life will be, that being said, 70-80% dispensation will give you great tone and decent tube life.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
That depends on the plate volatage as well, but regardless, 35-42 is perfectly safe without any harm being done to the tubes or amp. Sure the hotter you run your tube bias the shorter their life will be, that being said, 70-80% dispensation will give you great tone and decent tube life.

the plate voltage on the 6262/6260 is about 470-475V
and the KT77s should be set any where between 32-39 normally, but i have heard of some being ran up to 41mA before with no problems at all
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
^42mA is around 80% dispensation, tubes life will be shortened a bit but the tone for some is well worth it, perfectly safe as long as you keep the dispensation at or under 80% 32-35mA is going to be pretty cold, 60-69% despensation, thats a just a little on the cold side, most likly out of crossover distortion, but still to cold for my taste 70-80% is the ideal bias point for most amps to get the best tone. which would be between 36-42 on the Peavey Ultra Series and their clones.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Johnbryant
^42mA is around 80% dispensation, tubes life will be shortened a bit but the tone for some is well worth it, perfectly safe as long as you keep the dispensation at or under 80% 32-35mA is going to be pretty cold, 60-69% despensation, thats a just a little on the cold side, most likly out of crossover distortion, but still to cold for my taste 70-80% is the ideal bias point for most amps to get the best tone. which would be between 36-42 on the Peavey Ultra Series and their clones.

yeah i hear you man.

that why mine is biased to around 36-37. a few times i'll bump it up to about 38-39. for shows and what not
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA