Page 1 of 2
basically ive put a cv in everywhere hiring and groveled with some shop owners i know from previous jobs and im still getting no phonecalls or letters back - what else CAN i do?

thankyou
Sell your ears.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
buy a cape and a cup and fight crime.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Next time you hand your CV in ask the manager if he wants a BJ
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

Have you applied for:

Tesco, Sainsbury's, Boots, Waitrose, Aldi, Lidl, Co-op, M&S, Asda, Farmfoods, Iceland, Morrisons, Somerfield, Maplins, Burger King, McDonalds, Subway, Greggs, Starbucks, Costa, KFC, Pizza Hut, Waterstones, Carphone Warehouse, Argos, WHSmith, HMV, Virgin/Zavvi/Head, Next, Primark, Currys.Digital/Dixons and every cafe, bar and restaurant in your town?
start a business charging people 20 bucks to help them find jobs then just send their cv's to the same places you submitted yours. then get paid for looking for work
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
put in an application at everywhere you can think of? I'm having trouble finding one at the moment as well, but my problem is I'm too picky I've only applied at like 3 or 4 places.
Look for other jobs thats outside your field,you know simple no brainer ones, gonna go down town today and see if i can get a job as Busboy not what i have had in mind at all but it's an income non the less.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nite`
start a business charging people 20 bucks to help them find jobs then just send their cv's to the same places you submitted yours. then get paid for looking for work

and yes to blue strat
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Nothing.

The economy blows.

frames of mind like this are why failures exist.
"it's someone elses fault"

i commend the threadstarter for actually applying at a bunch of places and still asking what else he could do.

dont listen to the crap i've quoted, TS. as tough as it may be, the people who end up with nothing in a western society are just the ones who didnt try hard enough.

to be helpful, a lot of franchises and things will only offer you a job if you bug them about it quite a bit. they prefer people who are persistent because it shows that you'll work hard. just keep applying at as many places as possible. if you can, try to assess the places that probably have a very high turnover rate, and apply there, since they're more likely to have a vacant position.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Last edited by instagata0 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by instagata0

i commend the threadstarter for actually applying at a bunch of places and still asking what else he could do.

dont listen to the crap i've quoted, TS. as tough as it may be, the people who end up with nothing in a western society are just the ones who didnt try hard enough.

to be helpful, a lot of franchises and things will only offer you a job if you bug them about it quite a bit. they prefer people who are persistent because it shows that you'll work hard. just keep applying at as many places as possible. if you can, try to assess the places that probably have a very high turnover rate, and apply there, since they're more likely to have a vacant position.

thanks i think i just gotta wait til uni students go back then there will be loads of jobs at asda etc again
Quote by instagata0

Suck my ****. The bolded is bull ****, you can't deny that.

And persistance didn't do **** for my chances these last couple of months.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Suck my ****. The bolded is bull ****, you can't deny that.

And persistance didn't do **** for my chances these last couple of months.

you've already given up. nobody will hire a quitter.
i do deny it.
your world is filled with opportunity, but you've given up on taking it. worse still, you're encouraging others to do the same.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Uh, I did what he did for four months to no avail.

Now I'm back at school and it's impossible to manage my time to put in as much effort as I did before.

you're just making excuses. the fact remains that all it takes is effort.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Yeah, excuse me for driving around wasting gas and energy for months on end when I could've been enjoying my summer more.

GREAT JOB

and now you're being a little bitch about it.

stop blaming things on what is external, and start taking some responsibility. if you want a job, make yourself the best candidate for the job. it really is that simple. all you have to do is be better than the rest.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Ask a teacher to review your C.V thats the problem half the time...also lie, nothing major just something that would make you look good, or do some voulenteer work and put that on there, other than that when you go in with your C.V ask to see the manager if he's not to busy this way you can make an impression with him and look like your commited to getting a job.
"Oh, if i could kidnap that feeling, the one that melts all fears from your mind."
Quote by Babbs

i thought you meant there was some ancient indian spirit named desi who would come and haunt me during my trip.
Quote by instagata0
and now you're being a little bitch about it.

stop blaming things on what is external, and start taking some responsibility. if you want a job, make yourself the best candidate for the job. it really is that simple. all you have to do is be better than the rest.

You're being a condescending mother****er. Why would I spend that much effort and not do those things?

It's not nearly as simple as you'd believe. The stats are at something like 23% unemployment nationally now.
Quote by red_hot_chili18
is it worth applying at hotels now that peak seasons over?

it couldnt hurt.
occasionally (very rarely), after they peak, they lose more employees than they need because they have to go and do other things.

edit:
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
You're being a condescending mother****er. Why would I spend that much effort and not do those things?

It's not nearly as simple as you'd believe. The stats are at something like 23% unemployment nationally now.

clearly, since you didnt get a job, you didnt do those things. you were not the best candidate.

statistics are meaningless. there might be less jobs than before, and it might be harder to get a job, but the jobs still exist, and the employers are just waiting for the best person for them to come along.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Last edited by instagata0 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by instagata0
the people who end up with nothing in a western society are just the ones who didnt try hard enough.

That's a pile of arse, and an overly idealistic way of looking at a fundamentally unfair system.

I'm not saying making an effort isn't important, but you can't say that nothing external to yourself can possibly influence your chances.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
That's a pile of arse, and an overly idealistic way of looking at a fundamentally unfair system.

I'm not saying making an effort isn't important, but you can't say that nothing external to yourself can possibly influence your chances.

i didnt say that the external cannot influence your chances. i said that you shouldnt blame the external, given that, although some people find it harder, you are still in control.

and no, its not idealistic at all. its the exact opposite. in an ideal world, everyone would get the job, and being the best wouldnt matter. this is realistic - the best person DOES get the job, and if you're not the best person, then whoever the best person was has just tried harder than you.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by instagata0
i didnt say that the external cannot influence your chances. i said that you shouldnt blame the external, given that, although some people find it harder, you are still in control.

and no, its not idealistic at all. its the exact opposite. in an ideal world, everyone would get the job, and being the best wouldnt matter. this is realistic - the best person DOES get the job, and if you're not the best person, then whoever the best person was has just tried harder than you.

Fine, you're not idealistic, just naive.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by red_hot_chili18
basically ive put a cv in everywhere hiring and groveled with some shop owners i know from previous jobs and im still getting no phonecalls or letters back - what else CAN i do?

thankyou

Plug your phone in mate.
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Quote by Kensai
Fine, you're not idealistic, just naive.

i recognise that i'm oversimplifying the situation, however i'm trying to be more realistic than the comment that theres nothing the threadstarter can do and that it's out of his control.

regardless of the oversimplification, so long as we dont define what it is to be suitable, all anyone has to do is stay better than second best, and they'll get the job.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

I can't find myself anything more than a weekend job, so i'm hardly going to tell you how to get one am I?
Just show up somewhere and start doing ****.. who knows could work right?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
Quote by instagata0

That wouldn't be an idealistic way of looking at it, that would be making idealistic shit up. We all know not everyone gets jobs, the idealistic way of looking at it is to say that success is proportionate to effort, whereas in reality there are a lot of other factors many of which are out of your control.

Although I'm not sure why I'm arguing about this, trying really hard is a good idea for the purposes of this thread.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
That wouldn't be an idealistic way of looking at it, that would be making idealistic shit up. We all know not everyone gets jobs, the idealistic way of looking at it is to say that success is proportionate to effort, whereas in reality there are a lot of other factors many of which are out of your control.

i'm defining effort as the things that you do which make you more likely to get a job.

if you're stronger than the brick-lifter who gets the job because the other guy is friends with the manager, then they have gone to the effort of making friends with the manager and are therefore more likely to get the job.

there's nothing idealistic about it. you just have to find a way to get ahead of the rest, and the job is yours.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

I didnt even have to look at the user name to know this was your thread dude
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Quote by Kensai
Sell your ears.

i just spat smoothie all over my laptop from laughing i hate you kensai
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by instagata0
i recognise that i'm oversimplifying the situation, however i'm trying to be more realistic than the comment that theres nothing the threadstarter can do and that it's out of his control.

regardless of the oversimplification, so long as we dont define what it is to be suitable, all anyone has to do is stay better than second best, and they'll get the job.

I respect your attitude, but you are definitely oversimplifying it. We'd all like to believe that the best person gets the job but thats clearly not always the case.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
I respect your attitude, but you are definitely oversimplifying it. We'd all like to believe that the best person gets the job but thats clearly not always the case.

as i said in another post, i'm not saying that the most appropriate person gets the job, i'm saying that the person who has managed to make themselves most attractive gets the job.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Page 1 of 2