Okay so I'm brand new here and i really need help. I am getting new gear for christmas as my crappy fender frontman 10r broke last year and my squier strat bullet is in my opinion crap and also broken. I need brand new gear and I'm in a 0-800 dollar USD price range for my guitar. For the amp i already have two choices both tube, either a peavey ValveKing 112 or a Vox AC4TV. I like the vox classic sound but i need somethign that can overdrive easily and well. If you have any suggestions that would be nice the price range is 0-300. Now for what i'm lookign for in a guitar. I want something nice that can again overdrive easily as i play alot of punk rock hard rock and metal but i also need something that can brighten up and sound acoustic almost so i can play my lighter more alternative acoustic songs. I was thinking semi-hollow or hollow but i'm really not sure what i should be getting. I'm also lookign for a new distortion pedal 0-150 dollars any suggestions?

EDIT: Sorry i meant to put this in before. I need something i can upgrade easily and i need some better pickups obviously i just don't liek stocks as much EMG 81/85/86 maybe some HZ4's or a Blackout or maybe an invader dimebucker? any suggestions as to what i should take out and replace with?
Last edited by ent1ty at Sep 3, 2009,
for the guitar a les paul of some sort?
and boss make ok distortion pedals, i like the ds-1 but a lot of people dont,
have you looked at overdrive insead of distortion?
Get the AC4TV, you can put it down to 1/4 watt so it will overdrive easy as hell. As for the guitar, I'm guessing your budget isn't very high and this seems to fit. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-Thinline-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=514048

EDIT: Don't concentrate on the distortion pedal for now, just get the guitar and amp.

EDIT #2: Just noticed your guitar budget at the top, sorry. How about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Telecaster-02-72-Thinline-Reissue-Natural_W0QQitemZ330356024549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4ceac0e4e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

But I'd suggest going down to your local guitar shop and trying everything to see what you like.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 3, 2009,
To innertom for the overdrive question, i meant by distortion, distortion,OD and Fuzz in the class of distortion. So a reccomendation on either of the three types of distortion pedals would be nice.
To ilikepineapples my budgets 800 so i can spend a little mroe and i have some problems with fender being i hate how their single coils sound so no more squiers for me.
Ok how about the fender I recommended? Humbuckers and semi hollow.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
ok just checking, lots of people look for distortion pedals but they really want OD.
id get the guitar and amp first then look at distortion.
your amps the most important thing, id recomend the vox.
for guitars just go and try lots of diferent guitars, and try not to make judgements on brand, fender makes some really nice guitars that arnt single coil pups.
id also recomend trying PRS guitars
Thanks that fender's damn nice, and yeah i figured going to my local guitar center or samash, but i don't know what typ of guitar. i mean should i look at a hollow semi-hollow or solid body guitar?...i'm so lost with that one.
Well how much of your playing style is metal?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
id say a solid body, but thats just a guess. what bands to you like?
Uhm i liek blink-182 they are by far my favorite, then has to come i'd say uhm rise against, then marylin manson, slipknot, disturbed, then probably uhmidk toughie maybe paramore, some FOB, kings of leon, oasis, yellowcard, nirvana, pearljam, breaking benjamin, SKSK, a day to remember, muse, led zeppelin, def leppard, ozzy and black sabbath, guns n roses, sum 41, linkin park, plain white t's, godsmack, silversun pickups, shinedown weezer, chevelle, uhm a bunch of others in hard rock alternative metal categories. i like alot of diffrent bands.
I'd certainly look at an Agile AL3100 Les Paul. A good bit below your budget but that's no sin. The AC4 sounds good but with that bit saved on the guitar a Blackstar HT-5 comes within range.

You could pick up a used SG, of course but that would steer you towards the AC4 for price considerations. Its an option but you'd need some clever pedals to squeeze an acoustic sound out of it. I suppose the ideal for you is a Cort M900 guitar but new will be a bit over budget. Worth looking used as its a PRS sort of shape (classy super strat?) but semi-acoustic and has a piezo pickup for those real acoustic cleans.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Agile Les Paul and Vox AC4? In terms of a pedal, you want an overdrive, not a distortion. That way you can boost the distortion from the amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Yes. Get that and the Vox

The pickups will be fine for a while and you can change them when you know exactly what you want.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 3, 2009,
The stock pups may be good for you. If not, you can change them later, when you know what you need to get the sound you want.

Edit: That is gorgeous and not very different from the one I'm having made for me next year. I have a thing for white LPs at the moment.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Sep 3, 2009,
That's been answered brah
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Well since i have enough money would you think upgrading to the blackstar ht-5 halfstack or combo would be better than the vox?
i play alot of punk rock hard rock and metal

HT-5 should have the edge here but might not have those dark clean tones of the Vox. If you get the guitar first, take it along when you try both amps and see which you prefer. Either way, its going to be an enviable rig.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by ent1ty
EDIT: Sorry i meant to put this in before. I need something i can upgrade easily and i need some better pickups obviously i just don't liek stocks as much EMG 81/85/86 maybe some HZ4's or a Blackout or maybe an invader dimebucker? any suggestions as to what i should take out and replace with?

Presumably because "stock pickup" doesn't sound as cool as "Invader"....

Honestly, forget the pickups for the time being, despite what you may have heard they're not a major issue for you yet. You don't "obviously" need new pickups at all, you just think you do because that's what all the cool kids are talking about this month.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Presumably because "stock pickup" doesn't sound as cool as "Invader"....

Honestly, forget the pickups for the time being, despite what you may have heard they're not a major issue for you yet. You don't "obviously" need new pickups at all, you just think you do because that's what all the cool kids are talking about this month.

Actually no. I heard a passive HZ4 and HZ4a on a shecter damien, and i compared it to a stock epi sg and lp and they blew the epis stock alnicos away. especilly distorted. I heard the invaders also have a more distorted edge to them and dirty fingers are just too distorted for mem i heard they can't really get clean tones cause it's too distorted. I heard emg actives have a nice edge on their tone and with an 81/60 i heard you can get some nice cleans while maintaining that hard rock performance. So i was just wondering if i should be getting those to get a more distorted tone.As to blackouts from what i hear they are extremely heavy therefore im not even intrested being that they probably give really distorted cleans. And with the dimebucker i heard the online preview of them on seymourduncan.com and i liked how they were quite trebly btu had a nice tone. so again i was just wondering if i should switch to get that out of my guitar.

TO lurcher, I was actually hoping for a more trebly clean, but dark cleans would be nice to have aswell being i could proobably use all the tones i can get. And i will be getting the guitar first or maybe same time. either way i'll have to try out at my local guitarcenter or samash.
Last edited by ent1ty at Sep 3, 2009,
Exactly, you "heard" - ignore what other people are saying, wait until you're in a position to judge these things for yourself. Of course different guitars sound inherently different, doesn't mean you can't get them to sound the same by playing around with the amp. You can't make an assessment on hearing somebody play around in GC for 15 minutes.

Get a nice guitar. Get a nice amp. Worry about pickups later when you know what your rig can and can't do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 3, 2009,
K. Thanks for the help guys really made a diffrence i was ready to get an ibanez artcore and a vox ac4tv combo not the mini stack which is just a 12 inch speaker instead of the 10 inch and i was gunna get an invader for the bridge and probably a invader for the next. This clers up alot so thanks.
What abut a bugera v55HD and the bugera 2x12 matching cab? i heard it was good too but i wanna see what you guys think.
get the vox. im guessing that you are a bedroom player and the bugera wouldn't suit that.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
thank you you read my mind actually i was about to delete it for that reason. Thanks
Actives probably won't go well with a semi hollow btw and you can't mix actives with passives so you would have to put both in at the same time. They also aren't very good. Like Steven Seagull said, don't buy them just because they are called invaders.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'm not going to switch until i listen to the stock pups and stuff i wanna make sure these are decent or not enough first. Actually i want you guys to make some more reccomendations for small bedroom practice tube amps under 500 bucks. I need some options to see whats a really good fit for me so if you have other suggestions please go ahead.