hello guys...im from indonesia...im new to this forum..

few month ago, i bought this guitar Fender Strat Jpn St57-70 '1989 from ishibashi japan..the salesman of ishibashi said that body of this guitar is alder..

i'm curious is this guitar body really alder? i read reviews from internet said that most fender japan used basswood (even though some use alder)

i attach the neck socket photo of my guitar

could you guys help me...is this guitar body is alder or basswood??

Thx a lot guys

Serial number?

I've not heard of basswood Strats - just alder, and ash has been used for some finishes.
Made In Japan...E954292

I confuse because some of my friend said that this is basswood, and some say this is alder...

could u guys strat expert help me??
Quote by blue_strat
Serial number?

I've not heard of basswood Strats - just alder, and ash has been used for some finishes.

Most Japanese strats or asian strats use basswood. Has similar properties to alder, light like alder, balanced/neutral tone like alder, however, the wood grain is ugly and they're mainly used with solid finishes and not grain showing type like sunburst.

You should probably take this to the GB&C Thread and see what the luthiers can come up with. I can't tell from a neck pocket, if you didnt have a solid finish and a see through, I could tell from the grain like that.
Looks like basswood, but I'd have the GB&C check it out. Basswood tends to be a very light color like:

Alder tends to be darker, like this:
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Most Japanese strats or asian strats use basswood.

Well, you learn something new every day.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Most Japanese strats or asian strats use basswood. Has similar properties to alder, light like alder, balanced/neutral tone like alder, however, the wood grain is ugly and they're mainly used with solid finishes and not grain showing type like sunburst.

You should probably take this to the GB&C Thread and see what the luthiers can come up with. I can't tell from a neck pocket, if you didnt have a solid finish and a see through, I could tell from the grain like that.

I thought they used either poplar or alder in Fender Japan. If it's just a bog standard MIJ Strat, it's probably gonna be poplar, if it's a higher end MIJ Strat, it's gonna be alder.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I thought they used either poplar or alder in Fender Japan. If it's just a bog standard MIJ Strat, it's probably gonna be poplar, if it's a higher end MIJ Strat, it's gonna be alder.

Actually, wrong. I've spent some time on ishibashi.com. On their sunburst strats I've seen basswood and alder. I asked one of the sales reps if most of their solid colors were basswood, and he said they were.

The higher end ones use Ash or Alder, following more closely to the 50s. Otherwise the lower models use basswood, never poplar in Fender Japan.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Actually, wrong. I've spent some time on ishibashi.com. On their sunburst strats I've seen basswood and alder. I asked one of the sales reps if most of their solid colors were basswood, and he said they were.

The higher end ones use Ash or Alder, following more closely to the 50s. Otherwise the lower models use basswood, never poplar in Fender Japan.

Fair enough; I think I've seen a few with popular, but I don't really know, or care for that mattr

And after some quick Googleing, it IS alder.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
thanks a lot guys for all for the input..

i ask ishibashi that this is mid-end model of fender japan

this is full body photo of my guitar

Is this sure alder body guitar?

is this guitar body has 2 piece, 3piece, or what?
You can't tell how many piece the body is through a solid finish, if you want to sand the finish off we could tell you.

But seriously don't do that.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Ze0_85
.., i bought this guitar Fender Strat Jpn St57-70 '1989 from ishibashi japan..the salesman of ishibashi said that body of this guitar is alder..

i'm curious is this guitar body really alder? i read reviews from internet said that most fender japan used basswood (even though some use alder)...
I can't make out what the neck pocket says and I'm not familiar with that older model number; however, I do know the following MIJ '57 RIs:

Basswood bodies:
ST57-US
ST57-DMC

Alder bodies:
ST57-TX
ST57M-US
ST57-DMC/VSP

Ash:
ST57-TX/ALG