I had .52-.10 gauge strings on my les paul and they sounded great. they got old so i changed them yesterday. i put .46-.10 gauge strings on my guitar and now it has horrible fret buzz. i have let the strings stretch out thinking that it was just because they are new but it still has horrible fret buzz.

when i strum the open strings it sounds horrible and when i fret the strings anywhere above about the 9th fret on the top three strings it has horrible fret buzz too. i have adjusted the bridge up and down and it still doesnt help. the only thing that i can think of that would have cause this all of a sudden fret buzz is when i had the larger gauge strings on it they must have some how carved out the nut some and now the smaller strings are going to deep into the nut and are touching the frets somehow.

im thinking that if i get a bigger gauge strings like .52 or .54 that the buzz will go away. because when i had my larger set on it, there was no fret buzz ever. but if getting a bigger set doesnt work then what is wrong? will the nut have to be replaced? any advice is appreciated.
Quote by Shelby Wylde
I had .52-.10 gauge strings on my les paul and they sounded great. they got old so i changed them yesterday. i put .46-.10 gauge strings on my guitar and now it has horrible fret buzz. i have let the strings stretch out thinking that it was just because they are new but it still has horrible fret buzz.

when i strum the open strings it sounds horrible and when i fret the strings anywhere above about the 9th fret on the top three strings it has horrible fret buzz too. i have adjusted the bridge up and down and it still doesnt help. the only thing that i can think of that would have cause this all of a sudden fret buzz is when i had the larger gauge strings on it they must have some how carved out the nut some and now the smaller strings are going to deep into the nut and are touching the frets somehow.

im thinking that if i get a bigger gauge strings like .52 or .54 that the buzz will go away. because when i had my larger set on it, there was no fret buzz ever. but if getting a bigger set doesnt work then what is wrong? will the nut have to be replaced? any advice is appreciated.

Well, you have a point. However, what would seem more likely, is just the fact that there's less tension from the strings on your neck, so it's bending more under the force of the truss-rod. Do you know how to measure neck angles?

Anyway, why did you put lighter strings on?

edit: Now I think about it, when I changed strings (about the same change), I didn't really have to do much neck adjusting to make it work, so your best bet may indeed be just the nut...
If the buzz is mainly above the 9th fret, its not a nut problem. That would show at the lower frets. Sounds like time to check the neck bow under tension. There's plenty of threads here about truss rod adjustment but if you are not confident, take it to a tech.
Otherwise, do you prefer the lighter strings? If not, just put a heavier set back on and put it down to experience. If you like them and intend to stay with them in future, its best to have the guitar set up correctly for them.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
If the buzz is mainly above the 9th fret, its not a nut problem. That would show at the lower frets. Sounds like time to check the neck bow under tension. There's plenty of threads here about truss rod adjustment but if you are not confident, take it to a tech.
Otherwise, do you prefer the lighter strings? If not, just put a heavier set back on and put it down to experience. If you like them and intend to stay with them in future, its best to have the guitar set up correctly for them.

yeah i like a heavy gauge set of strings. the only reason i put the lighter ones on is because thats the only other set i had at my house. and by what i meant by above the 9th fret is like between fret 1 and 9. i dont think i need to adjust the neck because it look pretty straight to me. i think its just because i put a lighter set on, im going to go today and buy a bigger set and see how it works out.
Quote by innertom
its prob just from smalll strings, is it a big buzz?

yeah, its not like just a small buzz you could look over, it actually makes my guitar sound like crap.