Page 1 of 3
Can someone explain it to me? Yeah I know most the stuff on the radio these days is ****. But why the hate towards certain bands getting publicity/going mainstream?
Because people want a reason to hate something in order to feel superior. So naturally, they choose the most illogical reason of them all, as oppsoed to simply "not liking the band." Nothing wrong with a band being popular. Being popular does not mean being sh*t.
becoz its cool 2 haet bands

EDIT: Damn you Delirium! *Shakes fist*

ಠ_ಠ

wat

because mainstream is highly associated with money making instead of playing with passion. Also because mainstream has a tendency to ruin a legacy.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Because people want a reason to hate something in order to feel superior. So naturally, they choose the most illogical reason of them all, as oppsoed to simply "not liking the band."

coming from the guy with a dr.phil icon(lol,jk)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Because people want a reason to hate something in order to feel superior. So naturally, they choose the most illogical reason of them all, as oppsoed to simply "not liking the band."

This. Metallica suck, I hate Guitar Hero and Goddamn it having fun is like, the shittest thing ever.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I don't really mind mainstream music, as I play a lot of stuff that I happen to listen to on the radio. I know some people hate it when they found the band "first" and now people are jumping on their bandwagon and they want to so badly be different than everyone else.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
That's just emokids wanting to hate the world... Especially if you're a huge fan of the band and once they get their big break, they're sell outs...
That has nothing to do with the music or the band, only with hating the world
Quote by Johnny skins
banned cause im fine because of your avatar! it blasts happyness everytime i see it!!

definitly the best avatar ever I=Cookie

Proud owner of the: I'm wearing clothes in the Pit! Group! Click here to join
It's not so much the actual music, although the electronic hip-hop disco stuff is crap, but the lifestyle, meaning, etc that goes with it. I don't like rap music, but apart from a few guys like soulja boy, I don't have a problem with it coz they're just expressing themselves. But if you go to a pop concert (i haven't been to one but i've got friends that go and tell me about it, this is all i know), there's as much importance on the performer and the fans looking good, fitting in, behaving the same as everyone else. At Wacken or some non-mainstream event like that, you can do what you want, if you're not getting in anyone else's way. I went to Iron Maiden and in the seating area, there was a guy across the aisle from me lying on the floor headbanging and doing Angus Young style spasms and air guitar, and showing off about 200kilos of his gut, and when Bruce Dickinson did the scream on Number of the Beast, he tore off his shirt and tried to do it as well, and even though he looked like a douche (and I think he was sober too ), we were all laughing 'with' him, and I know that out of all my friends who are into metal, none of them would've slammed him for it, but people i know that are pop fans would've made all sorts of comments about being a freak weirdo or whatever.
Watch footage of Pink or Kylie Minogue or the Jonas Brothers, and everything's planned perfectly, no spontanieieity (can't spell). Watch Angus Young and he's just having fun and doesn't have much self consciousness.

There's some pop bands I can think of that break that mould, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Kings of Leon, I don't like them but I think they're way better musicians than I am, and they are just having fun in what they're doing, and there is some message to their songs, at least Kings of Leon.

And something else that's more to do with fans and radio stations than the artists, it's not memorable, songs get played to death for 6 months then you hear them once a year after that. I hear people saying that they don't like a song because it's old, it's from 5 years ago. It's disposable, and it's not really an art.

my two cents i look like a know-all

edit: I think my own big reason is that it reminds me of school socials with lots of fake tryhards trying to act cool while all that music's playing.
Last edited by tom1thomas1 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by CliffIsAngry
because mainstream is highly associated with money making instead of playing with passion. Also because mainstream has a tendency to ruin a legacy.

People automatically assume mainstream bands are just in it for the money. This to reaks of bull****. Again, sure, there might be a few, but it isnt fair to generalise ALL mainstream bands, is it?
*smokes a joint*
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I wouldn't mind some of my favourite bands getting big. At least then, they could have world tours
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
F*ck having fun.

I used to like sitting in my room in the dark being angsty, but then loads of other people started doing it, so, y'know. Fucking society.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Geetar_Axel
Can I PLEASE have one.

it's really only popcorn :lurk"
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I used to like sitting in my room in the dark being angsty, but then loads of other people started doing it, so, y'know. Fucking society.

You know what? F*ck breathing. That's popular these days. I'm gonna sit here and evolve some mo' f*cking' gills. Take that society. Mo'f*ckers...
I love pop music. It's just music that you can dance to, and sing along to with mates and all that jazz. Fair enough, I listen to a LOT of rock music, but pop music is where it's at too. I don't care if the music is about 'making money' or 'doesn't have passion in it', I just like a song if I like it.

I don't see the point of hating a band if they 'sell out', can't you just listen to the stuff you like and stop complaining that other people like them too?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You know what? F*ck breathing. That's popular these days. I'm gonna sit here and evolve some mo' f*cking' gills. Take that society. Mo'f*ckers...

You still breath? Duuuude, thats so 1996.

Pfft, ****ing posers man, swear to god...

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Man, like, fish have that shit man, and there's tons of them in the sea. Way to be a conformist sheep bro. I'm gonna grow some nipples on my face.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Man, like, fish have that shit man, and there's tons of them in the sea. Way to be a conformist sheep bro. I'm gonna grow some nipples on my face.

The elephant man had a giant mo'f*cking nipple on his face, brah. What a mo'f*cking trendsetter.
Quote by Geetar_Axel
People automatically assume mainstream bands are just in it for the money. This to reaks of bull****. Again, sure, there might be a few, but it isnt fair to generalise ALL mainstream bands, is it?

like I said "it's highly associated" however there are the bands that maintain great quality while still being mainstream. I don't mind bands that are mainstream, but in some cases like metal it just doesn't feel right. Seeing how Metal and Punk Rock came about.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by Deliriumbassist
The elephant man had a giant mo'f*cking nipple on his face, brah. What a mo'f*cking trendsetter.

Guess there isn't anything else to do than wallow in little known post-rock bands.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
*smokes a joint*

Pfft, joints are so mainstream now. I hate them!

On topic, I think people just start hating on bands once everyone else starts liking them so they can be different and call them sellouts.
If I like a band that happens to be 'mainstream' ****ing deal with it. I hate most modern rock not because I'm a stuck up prick but simply because I don't like the sound of the songs... I don't really like classic either though xD.

Occasionally theres always those mainstream bands that are really good, even if they 'sell out', as long as the music is good I don't give a ****.
Quote by CliffIsAngry
like I said "it's highly associated" however there are the bands that maintain great quality while still being mainstream. I don't mind bands that are mainstream, but in some cases like metal it just doesn't feel right. Seeing how Metal and Punk Rock came about.

Bugger how they came about. Times change, things gain more popularity. Surely metal becoming more popular can only be a good thing?
Here are the reasons. It can be any of these:

1) People hate bands because they are afraid to have their own opinions.

2) Mainstream is a good way to tell if a band has 'sold out', which can in turn allow people to judge the band accordingly. Not that being on the Mainstream is selling out, its just a good check. Like somebody said, "It is associated with playing for money, not playing with passion"

3) Because, as someone said, it sucks to turn on the radio and hear a ton of terrible bands receiving fame, when there are clearly under-appreciated bands out there.

EDIT: In my opinion, the mainstream of the 90's was awesome. I'm in no way saying that mainstream is a bad thing. All of my favorite bands were played on the radio a lot.

However, i've heard more 'fake bands' in this decade than any other, to the best of my knowledge of course. (By that i mean, the bands that were popular in all of the other decades easily put all of these new ones to shame. Except maybe the 80's)
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bugger how they came about. Times change, things gain more popularity. Surely metal becoming more popular can only be a good thing?

yes and no, I don't want stuff to get too popular, as it makes it easier to corrupt. If metal manages to become mainstream we will have floods of new bands playing **** metal that their record companies tell them to, and metal will just be another Lil Wayne attempt on guitar...

Tbh I think metal is popular enough :p
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by BassFishin
Here are the reasons. It can be any of these:

1) People hate bands because they are afraid to have their own opinions.

2) Mainstream is a good way to tell if a band has 'sold out', which can in turn allow people to judge the band accordingly. Not that being on the Mainstream is selling out, its just a good check. Like somebody said, "It is associated with playing for money, not playing with passion"

3) Because, as someone said, it sucks to turn on the radio and hear a ton of terrible bands receiving fame, when there are clearly under-appreciated bands out there.

1) True

2) Not that any of us can actually look into the minds of the artists and find their true motives. Being mainstream is hardly a good check for anything, other than popularity.

3) Then appreciate the under-appreciated bands in your own way. No-one forced you to turn on the radio. But you can still go and visit the under-appreciated band's websites, go to their gigs, buy their merch etc.

Quote by CliffIsAngry
yes and no, I don't want stuff to get too popular, as it makes it easier to corrupt. If metal manages to become mainstream we will have floods of new bands playing **** metal that their record companies tell them to, and metal will just be another Lil Wayne attempt on guitar...

Tbh I think metal is popular enough :p

There has ALWAYS been sh*t metal. Just like there's always been good metal. Just don't listen to the stuff you don't like. Simple as.
Quote by Geetar_Axel
Can someone explain it to me? Yeah I know most the stuff on the radio these days is ****. But why the hate towards certain bands getting publicity/going mainstream?

It's not neccessarily the fact that said band goes "mainstream", but the fact that most bands sell-out and totally change their style from that which made us love them in the first place to something that the masses (mostly consisting of the "rap community" am I right?) will enjoy.
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

I'm not witty enough for this kinda crap.
It sounds bad, and no one likes people who brags, especially not about bad music

But that's just my opinion.
Being mainstream is not necessarily an indicator that the band has sold out, or makes easy listening music. It's an indicator that they're popular.
I hate people that make you feel small
I hate having my back against the wall
You know, I hate being talked down to

I hate your rules
I hate 'em all
Hate being marked to take the fall

Planet's not big enough for me and you
But most of all
I HATE YOU!

and mainstream.

oh , cause 99% of the time it's generic talentless crap that's just "IN" for a time period and the label keeps regurgitating the same crap and putting it out under a different name and the kids eat it up like popcorn. More and more and more and more
everybody replicating the music and the style
every band sounds like pantera with a different vocal style nowadays.

If i get on a crowded subway train the chances of that train inhabiting two-five kids wearing skin tight jeans, a colorful shirt, a "cute" little scarf, and big glasses, gelled hair, ear gauges, snake bites, septum piercing, are almost 80%

It sickens me at an indescribable level.

I wonder if this is how Hitler felt about jews.
As long as a band doesn't sell-out, i like some mainstream stuff. I like what is catchy and memorable, not what everyone else likes or because they drink Red Bull too (which is gross btw).

I sure hope my band doesn't sell-out...lol
Simply because people are butthurt that a band that they, and only they, loved is now worshipped by everyone. Take Kings Of Leon, for example, a few years ago I knew no-one who liked them, or had even heard of them that much really, and I'm guessing there were other people in this situation who felt they had a special little secret band, that only they knew and loved. Now, they're everywhere, they're my moms ringtone for Christ sake, and the feeling of superiority of liking the band is lost because everyone loves them, or so you'd feel from reading Youtube comments from "true" fans...

I personally don't care, I'm glad when bands I love become famous, they usually deserve the success to be quite honest, and as long as the music is still good, it doesnt' matter if more people like them really.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 3, 2009,
1) Music often has a subculture attached to it, which suggests a certain style of dress, language and behaviour. Some people do not like certain subcultures, often because they feel alienated by them.
2) Some people have a certain pride in liking a band before they become popular, so they can introduce it to all their friends and feel useful.
3) "Mainstream" music gets a lot of TV and Radio play, so even if there's nothing wrong with it, it gets annoying because it's so overplayed.
4) People think they need a reason not to like something.
5) I gotta feeling
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good, good night
6) Most people who complain about the mainstream are just angry teenagers who need something to hate. Few of them know anything about the music industry.
7) Those who know, or at least pretend to know about the music industry, know that mainstream artists are used as cash-cows by their labels. This leads back to point 6.
8) "Bandwagoning"
Because I like to listen to more then BASS SNARE BASS SNARE BASS SNARE BASS SNARE, followed by auto-tune and horrible grammar. Not to mention generic lyric subjects, OHHHHH you want to party all the time, OHHH your lookin' at some "shawty" at da club.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Sep 3, 2009,
Page 1 of 3