Page 1 of 2
a little love for the budget, 3PDT true bypass, great sounding Dano Cool Cat Line. all of Which Are About $50-60 (£30-40).

The CC Line Includes:

Tremolo
Chorus
Vibe
Fuzz
Metal
Metal II
Distortion
Transparent Overdrive
Drive

and theres even a dedicated Cool Cat Pedalboard available.

Discussion time!

I think its time i made the comparisons. To my knowledge, the Drive is an OCD copy which really does mimmic that kind of tone, and the vibe sounds alot like the univibe to my ears. The Fuzz is supposedly a copy of the Fuzzface original sound (raspy to the extreme).

This is a pretty informative video of Youtube's Gearmandude putting the Drive up against the Fulltone OCD V.1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNXu3jvrSo

now for my personal opinions and my review of the CC Drive.

IMHO there is not yet a pedal in this price range that come even close. The CC Drive is the same price more or less as the BOSS overdrive, and Dano throws in 50's styling and True Bypass (3PDT). The switches are stiff at first but they do seem to loosen up after a good hour or so of clicking on and off (but tough switches are good switches). I tried out all the CC line a week or so ago, and i have to say that the Trans OD is definately the most glassy sounding of them all, and the drive has a similar feel but more fur to it. The Fuzz isnt as fuzzy as say a SD tweak, but its probably the best fuzz for thirty bones.

The CC Drive is probably my favorite overdrive out of the ODs ive tested in the Sub £100 range. I prefered it to the Hardwire Tube overdrive, it just seemed thicker and less fuzzy. The AC/DC tone that can be accomplished seem almost unreal for a Pedal that cost less than getting your intonation fixed. I get some pretty awesome SRV and john Lee Hooker Tones too.

in a post further down i posted up some of my favourite demos of the CC Pedals.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Sep 3, 2009,
seems like this could be a helpful thread, all i'd say is that you might want to put some reviews etc. in the first post/s?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
will do, im researching atm.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

The fuzz kicks ass.

Pros - Huge bottom end, nice gritty fuzz to it. It works great as a light OD or a heavy Smashing Pumpkins fuzz, and anything in between.

Cons - Loudest pedal I have ever owned. I have to have the volume at less than a quarter to keep it level with my others pedals, some of which are dimed. Switch is a little bit sticky, too. Also it can be harsh if you don't use it's tone knob, as well as your guitar's to control the high end.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Are their metal pedals any good? I haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet.
Quote by tubetime86
The fuzz kicks ass.

Pros - Huge bottom end, nice gritty fuzz to it. It works great as a light OD or a heavy Smashing Pumpkins fuzz, and anything in between.

Cons - Loudest pedal I have ever owned. I have to have the volume at less than a quarter to keep it level with my others pedals, some of which are dimed. Switch is a little bit sticky, too. Also it can be harsh if you don't use it's tone knob, as well as your guitar's to control the high end.

This. To even out the EQ, I put my Keeley BD-2 between it and the amp with the drive on the BD at 0. Unbelievable how nice it sounds.
These are the best sound clips can find on the tube:

Drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLt4ahR5jeQ

Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWBSkCwGvU&feature=related

Fuzz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh5UJQqvKwE&feature=related

Vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ia-2mABKYM&feature=related

Chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0NqHphUY4&feature=related

Tremolo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWsmS197qKc&feature=related

Trans Overdrive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd1HL1xNTtg

(none of these vids are made by me, thanks to shortscaledemos, guns1rose, gearmandude and the admin of thefret.net Robert.)

Heres the Specs anyway, now ive gotten round to it...

Tremolo
Browny/purple all-metal casing and proper battery door
True Bypass 3PDT
Speed, Hard/soft and Depth controls

"Better than your vintage amp. you'll dig the square wave setting"

Chorus
Sea-blue all-metal casing and proper battery door
True Bypass 3PDT
Mix/EQ, speed and depth controls

"3D Shimmer and swirl"

Vibe
Turquoise/green all metal casing and proper battery door
True Bypass 3PDT
Mix, Speed and intensity controls

"Organic. Swampy. Trippy.

Fuzz
orange All metal casing and proper battery door
True bypass 3PDT
Volume, tone and fuzz controls.

"liquid to Edgy"

Metal
black all-metal casing and proper battery door
True bypass 3PDT
Vol/Bass, Mid.treble and gain controls

"From crunch to cream"

Distortion
Red metal casing
true bypass
Treble, Level/bass and gain controls

"heavy british to classic hard rock"

Trans OD
golden metal case
true bypass
volume, bass/treble and gain controls

"Clean Boost to glassy crunch"

Metal II
black all metal casing
true bypass
Volume, switch (low/hi/off) and dist control

Metal to Rock, notes jump from the amp"

Drive
silver metal casing
true bypass
volume, tone and drive controls

"tone thickening, warm saturation"

(*quotes are from cool cat range slip that comes with each pedal*)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Sep 3, 2009,
These pedals look amazing for the price, and they now have metal casing rather than the old plastic casing.

I'm thinking of getting the Cool Cat Tremolo. Anyone got it?
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by corey3815
This. To even out the EQ, I put my Keeley BD-2 between it and the amp with the drive on the BD at 0. Unbelievable how nice it sounds.

I've used my SD-1 like that, but then you can't use that on the fly. Ideally I would want to have this fuzz, a DD-3, and an EQ in an effects loop pedal. That way I could just kick on the loop and it would give me the fuzz, delay, and EQ it into the mix properly. This fuzz with a light, medium delay makes for a godly lead tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i heard that the fuzz was close to the frantone peach fuzz

transparent od, well version 1 anyway, was close to the timmy

and yeah, the drive was supposed to be close to the OCD

haven't tried any of them, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
How's the Transparent OD for boosting?

ive been told by a fella on another forum that the Trans OD is his favorite of all his overdrives and clean boosts, even the $200 ones.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Vikingx
Are their metal pedals any good? I haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet.

for the price to quality ratio, i think theyre hard to beat. once my MD-2 starts getting on my nerves i think im going to invest in one.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by -NOFX-
These pedals look amazing for the price, and they now have metal casing rather than the old plastic casing.

I'm thinking of getting the Cool Cat Tremolo. Anyone got it?

I can't speak about the cool cat tremolo but I had the tuna melt tremolo by Danelectro and quite liked it. It was very nice for the price and the new cool cat has true bypass, metal casing etc so it should be an improvement on the tuna melt.

Cool Cat Vibe owner here
Wait, so if I want the Transparent OD, I should get a used one ?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

From what I heard, the V2 will not be as good as V1 so you might want to look around for a used one.

I have the V1 TOD, and I love it. Especially since I got it for free.
Quote by AJS19
From what I heard, the V2 will not be as good as V1 so you might want to look around for a used one.

I have the V1 TOD, and I love it. Especially since I got it for free.
Ok, at least I will save money by getting it used as well. Did Paul whatever sue them because it was a copy?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I love my V1 Transparent OD.
It turns my HT-5 into a modern metal monster and has caused me to put my Boss SD-1 and OD-3 to bed.
I'll be buying the Drive pedal next.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I love my V1 Transparent OD.
It turns my HT-5 into a modern metal monster and has caused me to put my Boss SD-1 and OD-3 to bed.
I'll be buying the Drive pedal next.

It has that same effect on my Tiny Terror and Classic 30. Great for when I occasionally play metal.
I have the Transparent OD; the Timmy clone.
Although I tried it side-by-side with a Timmy and apart from the actual transparency, sounded f-all like the Timmy (yes it is the v.1).

It's a brilliant little pedal. I have mine set to just add a little grit to my basic clean sound but without actually increasing the level at all.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

you might still find some new examples of the old version in shops. They have different-coloured stickers, so it should be pretty easy to tell.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you might still find some new examples of the old version in shops. They have different-coloured stickers, so it should be pretty easy to tell.
Oh ill have a look on Google to see what they look like.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
^ no problem. here, i'll save you the bother:

http://www.danelectro.com/effects_10.html (black sticker)

http://www.coolcattone.com/overdrive.html (blue and beige sticker)

the new one even says v2 on the sticker, so you should be ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can get the v1 transparent overdrive on ebay still, thinking about picking one up.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
haven't tried the new cool cat trans ods yet, but I love the V1 that I bought a few months ago. works extremely well with Marshall style amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no problem. here, i'll save you the bother:

http://www.danelectro.com/effects_10.html (black sticker)

http://www.coolcattone.com/overdrive.html (blue and beige sticker)

the new one even says v2 on the sticker, so you should be ok.
Oh yeah I didn't think the difference would be that much lol. My local music shop has the V1 in but I'm focusing on a new amp and guitar 1st, 'cause thats more important.
^ no problem. Just bear in mind though, that this might be an exception, because the version 1 has been discontinued (assuming you want a v1).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I#m not srue which I should get, the drive or the transparent od?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I've been looking at the tremolo pedal, seems like its a pretty nice tremolo and good for the price but the switches look kind of cheap.

Is it any good?
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no problem. Just bear in mind though, that this might be an exception, because the version 1 has been discontinued (assuming you want a v1).
Yeah I do. Ah well by the time I buy it, if they still don't have it there's always ebay Thanks for your help btw
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm thinking of getting the Fuzz pedal for things like Cream, Zepp, and Hendrix, as well as heavier stuff like Queens of the Stone Age. Is it reasonable to expect it to handle those?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I used to boost my Valveking with a Digitech Tone Driver. It sounded alright, but I wasn't happy with the sound to the point that I was about to sell them both.

Wow, I stuck my CC Overdrive in front of my VK as a boost just for the lulz and it convinced me to keep my VK

Then I started researching on here and found out it was an OCD copy

Here's a clip my VK boosted by the CC if anyone wants to hear, because I know there's a VK owner reading this looking for a cheap OD. And I know this because every VK needs an OD pedal and VK owners are cheapasses, which is the reason we own VKs

Gain: 0 Level: maxed Tone about halfway.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=amp&value=Peavey%20Valveking

EDIT: Right below my clip is one done with a Bad Monkey for comparison.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Sep 7, 2009,
I did a thread on the entire Danelectro series a while back, but deleted it due to spam issues... good to see this one is going better, although a bit inactive.

TOD... v1 = Timmy, v2 = not quite Timmy, distinguishable difference although small
OD.... combination of version 1-4 of the Fulltone OCD
Fuzz... Frantone PeachFuzz
Distortion... MI Audio Crunch Box or Xotic BB Preamp (some debate)
Metal I/II... I believe it is supposed to be a budget competitor with the Digitech TL-2

That's all my input. Hopefully it helps.
The ccd has alot of balls, tag for later.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by classicrocker01
I used to boost my Valveking with a Digitech Tone Driver. It sounded alright, but I wasn't happy with the sound to the point that I was about to sell them both.

Wow, I stuck my CC Overdrive in front of my VK as a boost just for the lulz and it convinced me to keep my VK

Then I started researching on here and found out it was an OCD copy

Here's a clip my VK boosted by the CC if anyone wants to hear, because I know there's a VK owner reading this looking for a cheap OD. And I know this because every VK needs an OD pedal and VK owners are cheapasses, which is the reason we own VKs

Gain: 0 Level: maxed Tone about halfway.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=amp&value=Peavey%20Valveking

EDIT: Right below my clip is one done with a Bad Monkey for comparison.

Wow, that valve king sounds great with the CCD. Really makes the amp come alive.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Vikingx
The Black Coffee is probably the blackest distortion ever, IMO. My buddy uses it into an 8" practice amp, sounds necro as **** (good if thats what your after).
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Have a CC fuzz pedal, got it free with a magazine subscription

great little thing, can make some nice garage rock sounds from it, though I agree with others, does get very loud
Quote by JoePerry4life
Wow, that valve king sounds great with the CCD. Really makes the amp come alive.

Thanks, it did bring it to a new level. I was able to use half the gain I used before, and still get all the punch and balls I needed. It has 10x the clarity and character it had before.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Page 1 of 2