I'm talking about amps here.

When you practice, do you use your main amp, or do you use a small low volume modeller [or similar]?

I use my computer practically all the time, only using my amp when I get to crank it up.

The thing is though, should I get my amp out and use it more often?
Will it inspire me to play more often?

With my computer, I get bored of it after an hour or two. It doesn't have good cleans, and I use the same tones over and over [it just doesn't compare].
I've been thinking of ways to get me more motivated [well, I have some VERY nice guitars that I love getting out and playing, but I really need to play with my amp to really appreciate them] to play for longer - and my amp can do that. It's just that even on the lowest volumes I can be heard. My playing isn't bad, but when learning songs or new techniques, it's not fun to have that noise in the background of your house [for example, if I were to practice sweeping].

Basically, before I transfer all my practice to my amps, I want to know what everyone else does.
So, what do you use to practice, and how long does it keep you playing for, etc.?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 3, 2009,
Maybe just play through your amp, and invest in an overdrive pedal, so you don't have to crank it?

It's what I do.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
My amp sucks pretty bad when it comes to the metal tones I like, so until I have enough for a blackstar pedal or head, I usually practice by running my guitar through amplitube, then into the 7.1 surround sound in my basement, so I can rock out my style
Quote by Lil Macker
Maybe just play through your amp, and invest in an overdrive pedal, so you don't have to crank it?

It's what I do.

I do have pedals, I have a nice Fuzz and an AMT DistStation [can do an overdriven tone to distortion]. But even the lowest noise can be heard at home. But, I'll try and get over that and just play anyway.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I dont need an amp to play most the time
Quote by daytripper75
This man speaks the truth.
I have a POD UX2 that I use most of time with headphones, great fun with all the effects and amp models but it sorely misses a foot switch
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I use my Vox Lead Amplug first and fore-most. If that's out of batteries (which it usually is...), I just use my acoustic as second preference (which I've been doing a lot lately). I don't practice with my amp much cos It's easier just to grab the acoustic, I still crank it at least once a week and my band jam's with our full set-up once every couple of weeks. Plus, we jam with acoustic guitars once a week whenever we're not going full set-up (so I get practice then).
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
I do have pedals, I have a nice Fuzz and an AMT DistStation [can do an overdriven tone to distortion]. But even the lowest noise can be heard at home. But, I'll try and get over that and just play anyway.

Could you put the amp on a chair, or off the floor? It helps get rid of the sound going through the walls. You could even put the amp on your bed when you practise, and that would help even more.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Could you put the amp on a chair, or off the floor? It helps get rid of the sound going through the walls. You could even put the amp on your bed when you practise, and that would help even more.

Yeah. When the vibrations go through the walls and floors it makes the sound resonate through the house more.
at night i use a multifx modeller with all the onboard fx bypassed and connect by stompboxes to that then play through high qualty headphones (basically using the modeller as a preamp), during the day i play through my amps and connect the stomp boxes to the amps. (i use 2 amps `cos i might be teaching and don`t wanna mess around with stomp boxes in front of students)

you gotta remember the noise laws in the uk something along the lines of 120db between the hours of 7am and 11pm in a resisential area on unlicensed premises, i cant remember the exact wording or figures but it`s almost correct.
my main amp is at my studio, and i practice on practice amps obviously (that's why they're called practice amps). i have a 12" hughes and kettner solid state practice amp and a blues jr., and they're easy to carry around. i have 2 of them - one at home, and the other at another guitarist's house, so we can play together i dont have to haul a head and 2x12 in my compact car.

when it comes to playing with a drummer, practice amps are no bueno, but at that stage you already have the studio set up at the drummers house (or wherever the drums are set up), so your nicest (or main) amps will be at the studio at all times.
It's all about feel
I use my valve jr thru my main cab with pedals to practice. I got the VJ with plans to flip it for a dollar but it bedroom level tones are too good to part with.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by Lil Macker

I already do that.
It's a chair which has a cushion type seat, so the amp is on a cushioned material.
Our housr is small, and I can normally hear the TV at good volumes in my room - sometimes I get really strong bass vibrations when it's turned up a tad, but I guess that's normal.
Maybe I'm just paranoid . I'm not keen on people hearing me during practice, [but I'm fine playing something well rehearsed to people].

I guess, from replies, that I should play on my amp, say once a week. where I can jam and practice anything requiring very nice cleans tones or fuzz, and leave any gain to my computer.

Thanks everyone.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
In the evening, I'll either practice with headphones connected to my PodXT or if I'm learning specific parts of something new, to a Tascam ear trainer that lets me loop sections of a song over and over again until I have it ingrained.

I've got a little solid state Orange practice amp connected to the PodXT, but I really enjoy plugging into my Handsome Devil head through my 2x12 Avatar cabinet during the daylight hours.

Hey, this is turning into a "what is your gear" post ;-)
Old ibanez 10 watt and a rp300
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by Nalakram
In the evening, I'll either practice with headphones connected to my PodXT or if I'm learning specific parts of something new, to a Tascam ear trainer that lets me loop sections of a song over and over again until I have it ingrained.

I've got a little solid state Orange practice amp connected to the PodXT, but I really enjoy plugging into my Handsome Devil head through my 2x12 Avatar cabinet during the daylight hours.

Hey, this is turning into a "what is your gear" post ;-)

Yeah, I think this is what I'll adopt. Should keep me motivated for longer then a few hours a day.

Still enjoying the other replies, and reading them all. But, I know where to take my practice now.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO