Some people where asking me how each amp sounded in comparison to standalone and for my situation. So I got everything wired up and working like it should last night and had the ability to crank them. So here we go..

Peavey Windsor

Low to mid gain she sounds and fills out pretty nice. I can see it being a good blues amp for me. Has a little bit of response going for it once you find the sweet spot so that is nice. Sort of reminds me of a JTM mixed JCM for that area of tone. Gain 3-5 volume 8-9 and texture low power. Which is cool because my JCM module on my Randall was super dark so this is a nice brighter version of that.

High gain is a whole different story. It gets super bright and harsh, which is typical marshall. But were its lacking is it sounds like a super thin JCM800 copy of a copy. Its not smooth like the JCM800 its more rough around the edges. I've played through a few JCM800's and this is far from one. I can see it growing on someone after playing it for a while though. The core tone of what they were getting at is there but its just off a bit and even a little annoying at times. Reason being is you know what a classic marshall is supposed to sound like and this is not it. Its more of a thin crackle pop then bark. So if you dont like the online clips you might not like the amp, since the clips are pretty close its not the compression of the video . Didn't mess with the boost button much it seemed to darkene the sound in a bad way for me and not do much besides increase volume. Im going to check over the schematic and see whats up today...

But good news after testing the Windsor as a stand alone, it was time to move on to what I purchased it for and how good the RM4 sounds going through the power amp section.

F*cking amazing combination.

I was a worried testing it out because the high gain test was a bust. But the RM4 with the blackface and JTM module through the el34 power amp section in this thing makes it come alive. Instant blues tone of my dreams especially with the g-major engaged. Great headroom but easy break up if needed. Also the Texture, presence and resonance knobs really come in handy. Im impressed and extremely happy I made the purchase.

So conclusion she aint a bad blues amp for $200 (got mine for $150). I just wont be using her for any high gain stuff anytime soon as a stand alone.

HT5

Amazing little amp and really versatile. Can do anything pretty well except I find it to be to loose and spongey for modern metal. You just need the headroom for a tight metal tone plain and simple. Its passable for some of the newer looser toned stuff but as far as say Gojira or Chimaira type stuff it would be a no go. Think more a long the lines of Black Label Society or Metallica Black album for this amp if metal is your thing. She really excels in rock and blues due to the power tube break up point being so low. And blows the Windsor out of the water in my opinion for classic rock. So if you like power tube saturation then you will love this amp. Also the effects loop make this a great amp to have in your rig.

As a power section it was nice and liked the tone. But headroom is lacking in this amp so it is sort of limiting.

So the great showdown comes to a close..

And here is a quick chart of pros and cons.

HT5

Pros
Wins out over the windsor on the stand alone battle.
Great for pretty much anything you throw at it except tight modern metal.

Cons
The windsor just squeaked by as a power amp. Headroom and break up is nice to have when you need it and this amp just couldnt supply it for obvious reasons. Plus with a JTM and Blackface module already in the RM4 the Windsor with el34's is just a perfect match over the HT5

Windsor

Pros
Like stated amazing power amp.
Great mid to low gain amp for blues and such

Cons
Very thin JCM800 clone of a different flavor.
You can tell its a copy of a copy in a since.
Higher gain is lacking even when cranked.

So thats it... My opinions of the amps.... and the rig.. Hope it was educational
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 3, 2009,
The ht-5 is a great practice amp, but like you said no head room.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
I'm lovin' everything your doing at the moment, IP.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
I'm glad you agreed with my Windsor review. People here have been flaming me non-stop because I always thought the Windsor was thin and harsh. I used to have one, so I know what it sounds like. Maybe this will end the "you just never go to crank it" people.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
is there a TL;DR?

j/k
i read it and yea it was educational
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Mark G
Very cool IP, keeping both?

Thats one debate im having with myself right now.... I have a use for both of them. But only having one cab is really limiting me actually getting my money worth out of both of them. Especially now that I know the windsor can hit its saturation point quite easily. I can keep the HT5 around for versatility and classic rock purposes but what are the odds im going to use it or want to unplug this plug in this and so forth everytime I want to play it. So at the moment im on the fence especially when I can return it and squueze out some high gain modules. I'm going to give it a week or so test them out some more and see what happens. So only time will tell...

Quote by DiizZ
I'm lovin' everything your doing at the moment, IP.

Quote by tubetime86
I'm glad you agreed with my Windsor review. People here have been flaming me non-stop because I always thought the Windsor was thin and harsh. I used to have one, so I know what it sounds like. Maybe this will end the "you just never go to crank it" people.

Yup, I was expecting alot more the way people have been talking it up. Reminds me of my old valveking alot actually. Decent low to mid gain and then it just tanks once you try to push her harder. But I do give props for the low to mid gain of this amp it does sound alot better then the valveking and considering the price right now it blows everything out of the water on that aspect.

And you are 100% correct thin and harsh is not a quality im pleased with at all and that is this amp. Also after owning a couple thick and full amps and playing many many others you can tell right off the bat that this amp is far from it.
Quote by Mark G
I'd probably sell both in favor of a dedicated poweramp.

Why sell the HT-5? I think having that around is worth the couple hundred it would go for used. Especially since his review seems like he really liked it. I've contemplated selling my Valve Junior, and even listed it a few times, but $100 isn't worth not having the convenience of it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Are you running the RM4 through the Widsor's FX loop? I hear these amp don't have a ton of headroom, mabe users are talking about trying to run the amp clean when its not a clean amp. Assuming you are using the FX loop; does the windsor have enough headroom not to clip and color the tone on you RM4 mods? Also Im sure the HT-5 doesn't have enought head room to run the RM4 at any decent gig volume without a ton of cliping, even though they are cool amps, why keep it, its only holding your rig back
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Mark G
I'd probably sell both in favor of a dedicated poweramp.

Already touched on that subject and talked to some of the MTS guys and they informed me I should stay away from the Peavey Classic 50/50 and just stick to my guns on the RT2/50 or other high end power amp. So I woudlnt have enough for the power amp I want

So keeping the windsor is my best option at the moment. Plus its $140 bucks cheaper then a used 50/50 that would probably sound worse and have to retube.

Quote by tubetime86
Why sell the HT-5? I think having that around is worth the couple hundred it would go for used. Especially since his review seems like he really liked it. I've contemplated selling my Valve Junior, and even listed it a few times, but $100 isn't worth not having the convenience of it.

The main issue with the HT5 is I can get the same results out of the RM4 into the Windsors power section. But with more headroom which is a bit better for me. But I wont have any sort of high gain amp around if I get rid of the HT5 so I would have to get modules to make up the difference.

Quote by samlocke14
man im loving this rig overhaul of yours, seroiusly nice work

Quote by Johnbryant
Are you running the RM4 through the Widsor's FX loop? I hear these amp don't have a ton of headroom, mabe users are talking about trying to run the amp clean when its not a clean amp. Assuming you are using the FX loop; does the windsor have enough headroom not to clip and color the tone on you RM4 mods? Also Im sure the HT-5 doesn't have enought head room to run the RM4 at any decent gig volume without a ton of cliping, even though they are cool amps, why keep it, its only holding your rig back

Yup straight into the return.

The preamp is the downfall to the windsor and why it doesnt clean up. Its got some bugs in it that really need to be worked out/modded out. When skipping it altogether the amp really shines and comes alive. I get a good amount of headroom with it and for early break up at lower volumes I just tweak the texture knob if I dont feel like cranking it. Yea giging and band practice would be out on that one. But I dont gig so it doesnt really effect me on that one. Thats what im thinking as well, if im not going to use it on a regular basis its really not needed.
your topics always have little fun bits of info. nice review. i agree whole heartedly with both of the them.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^^ Even though it has a few "bugs" it connot be beaten in trems of value. Also you mean the HT-5 could not be used for giging and band practice with the RM4 without getting power tube OD right, not the Windsor?
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by mexican_shred
your topics always have little fun bits of info. nice review. i agree whole heartedly with both of the them.

Quote by Johnbryant
^^ Even though it has a few "bugs" it connot be beaten in trems of value. Also you mean the HT-5 could not be used for giging and band practice with the RM4 without getting power tube OD right, not the Windsor?

Yup for the price its a win win for me.. Especially since I have spent more on a single pedal in more then one occasion. With the HT5 it wouldnt have enough volume to gig or Band practice with unless you mic'ed it. Its loud dont get me wrong, but not loud enough, 5 watts just doesnt cut it. Now the RM4 into the Windsor (power section) is a whole other beast. More then enough volume on tap to do what ever you want.
Great review(s) IP.

Guys at the Peavey forum have had some success with preamp tube swapping in the Windsor. Apparently a 5751 in the V1 spot curbs the thin crackle like tone from the preamps gain. As you mentioned, there are some useful mods that are floating around for the amp that help the amps tone.

The HT-5 is a very cool little head. The tone can get a bit furry at high gain settings, but I've had luck with some creative eqing, preamp tube swap, and by boosting the front end with a Dano Trans OD. I also have a Sonic Stomp in the loop with the Process dial low and the Low Contour set higher. This helps the lowend stay tight and allows for some seriously articulate riffing with almost surgical like percision.
We are running different speakers, guitars and pickups though, so that will most definitely cause different results when played modern metal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Great review(s) IP.

Guys at the Peavey forum have had some success with preamp tube swapping in the Windsor. Apparently a 5751 in the V1 spot curbs the thin crackle like tone from the preamps gain. As you mentioned, there are some useful mods that are floating around for the amp that help the amps tone.

The HT-5 is a very cool little head. The tone can get a bit furry at high gain settings, but I've had luck with some creative eqing, preamp tube swap, and by boosting the front end with a Dano Trans OD. I also have a Sonic Stomp in the loop with the Process dial low and the Low Contour set higher. This helps the lowend stay tight and allows for some seriously articulate riffing with almost surgical like percision.
We are running different speakers, guitars and pickups though, so that will most definitely cause different results when played modern metal.

Good to know and more then likely ill end up modding it to see what kind of tones I can get out of her.

Good to know as well but thats pretty much what im trying to stay away from with amps. I've had the same issues with other amps. I hate having to add in a bunch of band aids with eq pedals, sonic maximizers, od pedals, tube swaps and so on. The gear tied to the amp to make it sound good should not be more then the amp itself is my new train of thought. Plus my intentions were actually the opposite with these two amps. I was going to boost the windsor and mess around with some old thrash metal. And run the power amp section with the RM4 for cleans. But the thrash idea went south in a hurry. And as for the HT5 I was going to use it for blues, but honestly I prefer the RM4 into the Windsor better for that aspect, plus I get amazing cleans with out swaping heads with the RM4 Windsor combo. So that just leaves me the HT5 for metal and thrash. And i dont like it for modern metal and for classic rock its decent. But for the cost of it I can get a SL Module and XTC/1086 module or something and have both with the great tone of the windsors powe amp section.

So im at the cross roads..
Quote by mexican_shred
What does the wife think

Wife loves the HT5 and she is the one that claims she picked it out..... So that is also the kicker

If I get rid of the HT5 I get chewed out, so I also have to come up with a plan to get around that if I were to return it.
Is the fx loop on the windsor footswithcable on and off?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
is their any way you could mod then so you can slave them together
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
^ Sure you could, anything can be done, but it would not be cost effective, Ibanez might as well buy what he wants before doing that; a nice 50/100 tube stereo power amp.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Sure you could, anything can be done, but it would not be cost effective, Ibanez might as well buy what he wants before doing that; a nice 50/100 tube stereo power amp.

+1

And I dont have the time to go full out moddin on anything at the moment.
IP, I'm with you and agree on the band-aid scenerio. I run my JSX raw, with only a gate. I totally avoid boosts and eq's with my big amps.
But with the HT-5 I don't mind giving the little guy some help, since it's not my main rig.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^+1 If your have to boost and EQ the hell out of an amp to get the tone the way you want mabe you should look for a different amp. I the same way with my Triple X, no boost or EQ, and I can get the tones I looking for out of it, the only time I boost is to make the amp feed back, which typically it needs a little kick from time to time, to really sustain and hold a note.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
sweet, nice reviews. I haven't tried either of those
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Johnbryant
^+1 If your have to boost and EQ the hell out of an amp to get the tone the way you want mabe you should look for a different amp. I the same way with my Triple X, no boost or EQ, and I can get the tones I looking for out of it, the only time I boost is to make the amp feed back, which typically it needs a little kick from time to time, to really sustain and hold a note.

+1

For my 6505+ for example to get the tone I was after in my head I had to use 2 od's (on to tighten and one for girth/warmth), Parametric eq, 10 band eq and a dimed noise gate. Now that said was the 6505 good enough by itself for most yes.. For me no

And in the end it ruined my tone because it made everything really unstable.

And then god for blues I had almost the whole board turned on lol and for cleans I had to use another amp entirely.

This new setup has really made me see the light.. Guitar->Tuner -> RM4 -> G-Major-> Power amp... sooo nice...
^ Could be becuase you are playing at home, and not with a band, without cranking the 6505's they sound a bit meh to me. Mabe you were able to crank the hell out of things and it was just not the amp for you. I much prefer your old ultra to the 6505+, the regular 6505 is a little better but still IMO the Ultra is the better amp with a bias mod, or a really hot grade of 6l6, Peavey cannot seem to get the bias warm enough on any of thier fixed bias amps other than the Classics.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Could be becuase you are playing at home, and not with a band, without cranking the 6505's they sound a bit meh to me. Mabe you were able to crank the hell out of things and it was just not the amp for you. I much prefer your old ultra to the 6505+, the regular 6505 is a little better but still IMO the Ultra is the better amp with a bias mod, or a really hot grade of 6l6, Peavey cannot seem to get the bias warm enough on any of thier fixed bias amps other than the Classics.

Ohhh she was cranked, anytime I played her she sat at volume on 3-4 and volume 2 was my low volume playing lol. The ultra was nice but it was a bit lacking in things as well. I think the main issue I had was I have played on the amp that produced the closest tone to date thats in my head. And without a single bit of noise and straight up guitar into amp nothing else needed. And that amp was a Bogner Uberschall

And you are correct I dont know what the hell is up with peavey and not bias'ing there amps correctly.
^ Your wife must be lovely to let you crank your amps, I leave my Triple X out of our house, leaving it where we practice. When I take it home I am tolerated for a day or so, then I get the good old I going to be a B*tch treatment without her telling me what I even did, I am smart guy though, bought a POD and Stuido monitors, life has been pleasent ever since. I see why she could get mad though, when I play it shakes every window in our house, and its fairly clear when you go outside, and really its only set about half of where I gig with.

EDIT:
The 6505 is still a brutal amp, buts its still pretty meh even when cranked, no matter what you do it still sounds like the same amp and everybody and thier bother has the exact same amp, before it was popular they kicked it, but now the card has been overplayed. IMO its not nearly as timeless of a tone as say a Marshall Plexi, it just to much of a one trick pony, where the plexi was capable of so many different tones.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Your wife must be lovely to let you crank your amps, I leave my Triple X out of our house, leaving it where we practice. When I take it home I am tolerated for a day or so, then I get the good old I going to be a B*tch treatment without her telling me what I even did, I am smart guy though, bought a POD and Stuido monitors, life has been pleasent ever since. I see why she could get mad though, when I play it shakes every window in our house, and its fairly clear when you go outside, and really its only set about half of where I gig with.

I was lucky enough to have huge closet we dont use at the back corner of the house with two adjacent doors. Add in some thick foam under door sliders, amp facing away from her with no windows in sight and bingo we have a happy medium. Now outside its pretty loud lol but inside its not to bad unless your in the spare bedroom that the amp is facing. But luckly noone is ever in there.
Quote by tubetime86

Eh, I've said the same thing before several times. I've been able to dime 2 in stereo with a Marshall 4X12 and H&K 4X12, both loaded with Greenbacks and didn't enjoy it. But IP has some cred here that I don't so maybe it will finally stop that arguement.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs