hi,

so my cube 30 was stolen recently, and i am replacing it, but I can choose whatever amp i want, so long as it adds up to $549 AUD. I'm looking at either the Marshall MG30FX, Roland Cube30X or a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt.

I am an intermediate guitar player, and i play everything from John Mayer clean tones to brutal metal and everything in between, hence the modelling amps idea. I already have a Peavey Windsor head and cab, and i will be playing with either a Mexican Tele or an Ibanez SZR520. I also have a digitech RP80.

thanks in advance.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
No to the MG and No to the Vypyr - get a small tube combo and add a distortion pedal for your "brutal metal" tones.....you will be much happier....modelling amps suck

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
yeah... they didnt seem too great.

im leaning towards the vypyr, but what exactly is the difference between 15 and 30 watts?

edit: cant really afford a tube amp, i think? if i can, what suggestions then?
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

Last edited by wellsy411 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Tyler Durden
No to the MG and No to the Vypyr - get a small tube combo and add a distortion pedal for your "brutal metal" tones.....you will be much happier....modelling amps suck

If you think the Vetta, Flextones, and Vox Valvetronix suck then TS I would really reconsider listening to this guy. Seriously.

EDIT: TS, I have a Flextone III XL and it does everything under the sun. It is EXTREMELY versatile and it has brutal metal and smooth jazz like my style. This amp goes for 599-799.99 new but I got mines for 450.00 at L&M. Try looking on your local ad sites like kijiji or craigslist.

Anyone that says that modeling amps suck totally lose creditability in my book.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
no stay away from those low end amps. it's a good time to upgrade. line6 flextone used would be within your budget.

Not likely for a Flextone under bout $800 here but just incase

Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 3, 2009,
i was very happy with the cube 30 i had. it was more then adequate. it was just for practicing and whatnot, i use the windsor for performing or when i wanted more volume or whatever.

I Play the Bagpipes.

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Not likely for a Flextone under bout $800 here but just incase

That is why you go on your local ad sites.

EDIT: Look on other ads or other sites like craigslist.
You can get a 333XL Combo for $899AUS might be able to get cheaper,

You can get a 75w vypyr for aorund $650AUS

Haggle your ass off imo, and don't be afraid to walk away

try stretch your budget abit imo.

EDIT: Since you're looking at just something small then

Just have a look at the peavey 30w maybe even a smaller valveking if you want something tube or valve?

I tried the 75w peavey and it sounded great, get something that YOU like, not what other people think, i've noticed alot of people on here just jump on a band wagon with no expierance in the said products
Last edited by BoL7z at Sep 3, 2009,
i cant buy used, i only have store credit for a place called kosmic sound: http://www.kosmicsound.com/

I Play the Bagpipes.

No flextones on craigslist in Perth, and I doubt there will be for a very long time. No one knows what craigslist is down here. Seriously he has more chance panning for gold...
youve been round since 2008 and havent learned about the wrath of the MG?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by AxSilentxLine
No flextones on craigslist in Perth, and I doubt there will be for a very long time. No one knows what craigslist is down here. Seriously he has more chance panning for gold...

Oh that sucks.
I would say get the marshall. personally I have a Marshall MG30FX and it sounds great. The clean is nice, only problem is there's not enough echo, (small complaint), the OD1 channel sounds great OD2 good but has too much echo. Overall great amp
Australia has a very limited used market it will take weeks - months to find anything decent and then you have to try be the first to get it, it's pretty rage
Quote by herman ri2
If you think the Vetta, Flextones, and Vox Valvetronix suck then TS I would really reconsider listening to this guy. Seriously.

EDIT: TS, I have a Flextone III XL and it does everything under the sun. It is EXTREMELY versatile and it has brutal metal and smooth jazz like my style. This amp goes for 599-799.99 new but I got mines for 450.00 at L&M. Try looking on your local ad sites like kijiji or craigslist.

Anyone that says that modeling amps suck totally lose creditability in my book.

anyone from Toronto automatically looses credibility, so eat a fat one

modelling amps are junk, im my opinion, and many others. If you like the sound of digitally re-produced tones through an SS amp then thats good on you, but you name me a performing artist that willingly will choose a modelling amp over a tube amp......think hard on that one.....

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by pedroskins
I would say get the marshall. personally I have a Marshall MG30FX and it sounds great. The clean is nice, only problem is there's not enough echo, (small complaint), the OD1 channel sounds great OD2 good but has too much echo. Overall great amp

Note to everyone. This is an example of an opinion so don't bash him. A MG sucking is subjective, people.
Quote by Tyler Durden
anyone from Toronto automatically looses credibility, so eat a fat one

modelling amps are junk, im my opinion, and many others. If you like the sound of digitally re-produced tones through an SS amp then thats good on you, but you name me a performing artist that willingly will choose a modelling amp over a tube amp......think hard on that one.....

Grow up.

Where in my statement did I say modeling amps are better than tube amps? Seriously, reading comprehension is a great thing, ya know.
personally i think modelling amps are fine, they sound good, but not as good as a tube,

And why would a preforming artist use a modelling amp? well they wouldn't why?

Because they have money to buy the real thing,

However most people playing at home don't have that sorta money so they'll go for the next best thing, a emulation of it.
Quote by BoL7z
personally i think modelling amps are fine, they sound good, but not as good as a tube,

And why would a preforming artist use a modelling amp? well they wouldn't why?

Because they have money to buy the real thing,

However most people playing at home don't have that sorta money so they'll go for the next best thing, a emulation of it.
Dave Mustaine uses a custom Line 6 amp that was modelling a Marshall Plexi.

TS, you definetly need a modelling amp of some sort. If you play that many genres, I'd look at:

Blackstar HT-5 with possible tube screamer, depending on how metal you go.
Tube Vypyr or Vypyr, doesn't matter really.
Roland Cube
Vox Valvetronix
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Sep 3, 2009,
an mg sucking IS subjective....

it sucks if you've ever played any thing of good quality, like a JCM 2000, 800/900 etc. or say a epi valve junior or a BH5H.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
an mg sucking IS subjective....

it sucks if you've ever played any thing of good quality, like a JCM 2000, 800/900 etc. or say a epi valve junior or a BH5H.

Someone saying the JCM and JVM series from Marshall sucks is also subjective.
saying that a JVM410H is better than a JCM 2000 is also subjective, but in my opinion is correct.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Vypyr 30. The 12" speaker makes all the difference.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.