So i teach this kid guitar but he never practices what i teach. He only learns the stuff his friends show him then shows up and tries to impress me with the new riff that he has learned. Ive tried teaching him what he likes but he doesnt like reading music or tab.

I dont know what to do.
if the kid doesn't want to learn much dont teach him or alternatively just shred until he's interested in learning what you play and the music theory behind it
Is he paying you to teach him?
If so then he is your bitch.

If not tell him to stick it.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by matt169
Is he paying you to teach him?
If so then he is your bitch.

If not tell him to stick it.

I agree. You could teach him the same crap over and over again if he pays you.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
I agree. You could teach him the same crap over and over again if he pays you.

his mother sits in the lesson and is all yap yap yap

i get paid obviously, but its not worth the hassle.

also ive been teaching him for 2 years so we have pretty much exhausted all the emo styff he likes
Last edited by Arbity at Sep 3, 2009,
Just teach him what he wants to learn?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
if he pays just sit back n relax untill he wants to learn.

if he doesnt; BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE LIL F*CKER
Quote by dustyboy316
Just teach him what he wants to learn?

This. If someone doesn't want to learn how to play blues licks, they don't want to learn how to play blues licks. Instead, talk to him about what his friends have taught him. Go through it with him, what techniques are used, how else to apply them. To make a kid interested, you have to teach through what interests them.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
This. If someone doesn't want to learn how to play blues licks, they don't want to learn how to play blues licks. Instead, talk to him about what his friends have taught him. Go through it with him, what techniques are used, how else to apply them. To make a kid interested, you have to teach through what interests them.

i never said i taught him blues licks. i try and teach him the songs from the bands he likes but he doesnt even learn those. its like whatever his friends show him is more important.
Quote by Arbity
i never said i taught him blues licks. i try and teach him the songs from the bands he likes but he doesnt even learn those. its like whatever his friends show him is more important.

Then that's what you teach him, or help him learn better.

You ARE getting paid, after all.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Then that's what you teach him, or help him learn better.

You ARE getting paid, after all.

As explained i HAVE been doing that.
Quote by Arbity

I didn't mean you were teaching him blues licks. I meant it as an example. Take what he has learnt himself, and try and build from that, that's the main point you should have taken from my post.
Quote by Arbity
As explained i HAVE been doing that.

So...he's doesn't find important the things that he finds important?

It sounds like he just doesn't care at all.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
So...he's doesn't find important the things that he finds important?

It sounds like he just doesn't care at all.

well i taught him...he wanted to go over a tune from his favourite band the last 2 weeks so i was like cool come back and show me how you got on. He said he has been shown how to do another piece by the same band. So now there are 3 pieces outstanding and i had to spend today fumbling around a tune i didnt know showing him stuff that he was taught wrong.
bitch slap him and say:
"dammit you little *****! you will do what i tell you!"

or just ask him what he wants to play

Formspring

Quote by guitarxo

<--- this is a symbol of being awesome
I would say don't deal with him anymore. If you're trying to teach him the easiest way you know how and he's just goin off and jerkin around with what his friends are telling him to play, just tell him you won't do it anymore.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?