Hi guys,

On my tele the A string buzzes sometimes and it really pisses me off, it's always the a string on my guitars, no idea why, but anyway.

So I need to raise the nut, but the guy who does stuff like this for me, last time suggested a brass nut.

Anyone have any experience with these? Pros? Cons?

Nice one.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
i would expect realy bright huh?

but i havent used one or nothing, so idk..
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Yeah I'd assume they'd be really bright, apparently they improve sustain.
Also id imagine they're alot stronger.

See I've got one electric with a bone nut, that's pretty awesome.
But my other two both have crappy white plastic ones that get all scuffed up and cut into and so I've been thinking that maybe due to the way that i hold/play guitar I've been pusing the a strings into the nut and maybe it's been cutting down into the nut causing a buzz, if that's the case I doubt that would happen with a brass nut.

But I've never even seen one, let alone know where to get one. haha.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
well i guess get a bone nut, or maybe you could find a chunk of brass and make a nut from it, lol.

cos im prolly gonna have to make a nut if i make a 8 string, either acrilic, or some kinda bone..
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I'd definatly reccomend bone nuts, real bone. Just wanted to try something different and brass seems cool, but making a nut from a chunk of brass would be a task and a half haha.

Common man 8 strings are lame, build a 6 string :P.
Not really sure to be honest man, 1st or 2nd maybe. But when you play higher up on the neck it buzzes sometimes too, not just when you play it open, sometimes only when plucked hard, sometimes even when plucked softly, really strange.

Had the same problem on a different guitar though, and when i had the nut sorted out it fixed the problem.
Have you tried simply raising the saddle of that string a bit to change the action?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Have you tried simply raising the saddle of that string a bit to change the action?

Yeah, done that. All it does it make it harder to play higher up the neck and dosnt help the the buzzing at all. Also this tele has 1 saddle per two strings, might change them.
A graphite nut is something to think about as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I installed a graph tech graphite nut last week and I highly recommend it. I actually documented the process in a thread if you want to do a little searching.
Quote by forsaknazrael
TBH, I'd just stick a bit of notecard under the nut, to raise the height. See what happens.

Yeah that's what was done to my other guitar, worked fine. I probably will just do that.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with brass to see if it was worth changing over whilst I'm there.
Blind to the rescue! Coincidentally a played a semi-hollow gretsch just yesterday that had a brass nut.

Pretty darn bright, and other than that it was just like a normal nut, no idea where you're planning to get it though.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
Blind to the rescue! Coincidentally a played a semi-hollow gretsch just yesterday that had a brass nut.

Pretty darn bright, and other than that it was just like a normal nut, no idea where you're planning to get it though.

Cool man, I'm sure it would be stronger too.

Just saw some on ebay for £5.. only thing is this tele has the type of nut which is like in a slot a couple of mm into the fret board, so its alot thinner, I cant imagine sanding brass is very easy.

Also, semi-hollow gretcsh, nice one
It'd probly be a lot easier to carve out some wood than sand the brass...

And you could probly work into the brass fairly well with a file.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Yeah thats a good point actually.

I just remembered I tried a graphtech nut on an acoustic a while back, didnt like it that much.

I'll probably get a brass one off ebay and give it a go I rekon.