im planning on buying a fender strat soon but i just wanted to get idea before playing through.

what's the difference of rosewood fingerboard compared to maple? in means of playing and tone

thank!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZfvpH9xcE

Check this out. Not actually a lot of difference tonally, but the maple is brighter.

You just have to play a few of each to really feel what's right for you. I have a rosewood strat and wish I had a maple one like my father's because it feels smoother and I feel more comfortable bending on it.
Quote by Guitarfailwin

Check this out. Not actually a lot of difference tonally, but the maple is brighter.

You just have to play a few of each to really feel what's right for you. I have a rosewood strat and wish I had a maple one like my father's because it feels smoother and I feel more comfortable bending on it.

i really needed to know cause ive only played rosewood onces (cheap copy at home, beat up fender strat at school)

but might want to consider maple thank for the youtube thing!
it's mostly cosmetic.

but i can feel a little more bounce on my maple boards.

also, sometimes you'll get a lightly finished maple board, feels natural to the touch.

for me that's a lot of fun to play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Guitarfailwin

That's kinda a bad comparison and its hard to compare the 2 types of wood. Yes, I do agree that maple is a brighter tone, while rosewood gives a more warmer sound. However, to accurately compare the two like in that video, you have to remove the neck and play it on the same body, and the same pickup. No two guitars are the same, even down to the hardware.
silly rabbit trix are for kids!

EVERYONE knows... Strat = rosewood and Tele = maple.. sheesh!

AL
rosewood seems to break-in better over time , the more u play it the better it feels , maple necks don't seem to break-in the seem or atleast mine seems to always be the same. personally i like playing rosewood tons better both r good it's all in what u like
ive only got rosewood fingerboard guitars so far, crappy strat copy, dean evo, and now a gibson LP standard, i've found that i've rather grown my playing really much when i left the strat copy behind, dean to gibson did also make alot of difference,

so rosewood on strat feels better over time
while maple stay the same feel?
Quote by MSG_AL
silly rabbit trix are for kids!

EVERYONE knows... Strat = rosewood and Tele = maple.. sheesh!

AL

Funny you should say that. Because all the 1950s strats were made with maple . Up until 1960~1961 when they put a rosewood slab on it.

Quote by wolvenrick
ive only got rosewood fingerboard guitars so far, crappy strat copy, dean evo, and now a gibson LP standard, i've found that i've rather grown my playing really much when i left the strat copy behind, dean to gibson did also make alot of difference,

so rosewood on strat feels better over time
while maple stay the same feel?

That's opinion. Personally I don't find rosewood as smooth and easier to play as everyone says it is. I find maple easier to play on and it definitely gets better overtime. Any guitar neck will get better over time, it depends on how often you play it.

Personally, There are only 2 strats with a rosewood fretboard I'd actually buy aside from a real 1962 strat. Every other time I have the option of buying a strat, I get maple. Just seems to go hand in hand.