Quote by Martindecorum
everything is modal

Exactly.

/thread?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
No it doesn't have to change modes to be modal.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by Martindecorum
everything is modal

how high are you and will you send me some?

modal music is modal, non modal music is non modal. where did you get the idea that everything is modal?
Quote by Arbity
So i read a lot on here 'this isnt model' 'you are wrong about this being model'

Does something have to CHANGE modes to be considered modal. For example i thought Bulerias and a lot of flamenco was in Phrygian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsZBzuU8jHw

Something's modal if the harmony makes the melody resolve to the root of a mode.
Because most modes are unstable, you have to carefully choose which chords you use so that for example D dorian doesnt resolve to C, making it C major and therefore not modal. You can achieve this by denying the chords with C in them and picking chords which contain the modal tone, in dorian that's the 6 (in D dorian B instead of Bb).
^ thank you

on another note, modes being unstable are generally best left to 1 or 2 chord (or 3 chords in some cases) vamps to imply modality. once you start using too many chords it beings implying a different key than the mode you're aiming for.