So my mate started this band a while back, all five of us are pretty good mates and we hang out quite a lot but none of them have any enthusiasm for the band really.

When we started a few months back, we had a few practices and it just always ****ed up - if we managed to get 4 out of 5 people turning up it was considered very lucky. The drummer basically never turned up so we had to use backing tracks, or when he did he'd just improvise the drum fills which, obviously totally threw me (rhythm gt) off.

The lead guitarist thinks he's god on guitar - don't get me wrong he's a very skilled player, but in the middle of songs we're doing (all covers, at the moment), he'll just totally ignore how its actually played and do some lead stuff because 'he got bored'. Even in practices when we're trying to discuss stuff he'll just start playing and zone out of the discussion.

Keyboardist isnt too bad...

I'm going to uni soon so it isn't too bad like...I just really want to get some gigs / experience in before then and we'll all be back for long periods of time so we could gig in between...but no-one seems to into it.

I was prepared to just let it die then the lead guitarist called saying 'so whens the next gig?' which made me think he was more interested...so I assembled everyone, we drew up a setlist and agreed on a set of practice dates...but he's just said he might not make it and the bassist claims to have never been told about it today...

I want to keep things quite democratic...but if no-ones taking any initiative I want to just say 'right this is what we're playing, we're practicing on these dates ,we have a gig here'.

We have a practice on saturday so I'll see how it goes then but...I predict only 4/5 of us turn up, and we only do about 30 minutes of practice
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
If they can't be arsed to turn up to practise then **** 'em
quit or take control of the band
Gear:
Gibson SG
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire stagemaster

Marshall Tsl 100
Marshall 1960A

Zoom G9.2tt
Wow. This sounds like an absolute train wreck to perfectly honest with you. I'd abandon this if I were you but if you want to salvage it:

Tell the drummer he needs to play the song as it is. 1 or 2 fills doesn't hurt anyone but changing things around too much throws everyone off. The drummer is the one who NEEDS to be perfect, especially live.
I have a little experience with your lead guitar issue. My old lead guitarist would also completely ignore the song and just shred on his own. Even when playing a Luna Sea song, which is basically JRock/Pop, he put a tapping solo in the bridge, and it just wasn't needed at all, and refused to play simple stuff because he was bored. Sometimes, you just have to play simple stuff for the song, and if he can't accept that, then he'll never survive in any band except some kind of Dream Theater clone.
There's nothing wrong with trying to take initiative yourself, if no-one else does, every band needs at least 1 or 2 "leaders," to make things happen, but if no-one else is interested then just let it die.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 3, 2009,
The only thing that motivates my band is when we have a gig. With a gig, we HAVE to practice, and everyone gets more serious and motivated about it. I don't know if that would work for you band at all though...

You could try taking some initiative yourself but honestly if your members don't change then you shouldn't bother keeping the band.
You are going to uni so I doubt you've got much time to find a new band and then get some gigs. If you want to gig a bit before you leave I'd ditch the band and go solo. Just play some open mics and enjoy yourself. If you aren't comfortable singing (or don't think you could hold an audience with just instrumental material) then I'm sure you could find a singer. It'd be easier than finding a whole new band at least.

I wouldn't waste any more time with your current band whatever you choose to do.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
You are going to uni so I doubt you've got much time to find a new band and then get some gigs. If you want to gig a bit before you leave I'd ditch the band and go solo. Just play some open mics and enjoy yourself. If you aren't comfortable singing (or don't think you could hold an audience with just instrumental material) then I'm sure you could find a singer. It'd be easier than finding a whole new band at least.

I wouldn't waste any more time with your current band whatever you choose to do.

+1

If you want to salvage the band, use my advice above.
If you want to ditch the band, listen to this man. Any experience is good experience.
cheers a lot for the responses guys...nice to get other musicians view on it and see that I'm not being unreasonable here

Im the singer as well as guitarist so might look into doing some open mics...we have a gig tentatively booked in three weeks so I'll see how it goes over the next few days...just really hope I can find some passionate people to play with at uni
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
cheers a lot for the responses guys...nice to get other musicians view on it and see that I'm not being unreasonable here

Im the singer as well as guitarist so might look into doing some open mics...we have a gig tentatively booked in three weeks so I'll see how it goes over the next few days...just really hope I can find some passionate people to play with at uni

Good. It's not "unreasonable" for you to want the band to practice and put some effort in, that's why you're in a band after all

If you have a gig coming up, that must surely motivate them? Use that to make them work harder, the threat of looking like an ass in front of a crowd motivates all musicians to work harder.

Good luck with finding new people at Uni
You probably will find better band members in Uni, especially if your taking a music course.
Good luck, and I hope things turn out well.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
break off, say. Ok I quit and I'm starting a band. I you want to join you follow my rules. That way, the guys that don't wanna be in the band will leave and the ones that kinda wanna be in the band will straighten up or leave. You're better off having 3 dedicated members in the band than 5 half assed members.