Here is the story:

I've been comparing a LTD Delux EC-1000 (with duncan passives)
with a LTD 401 VF

As far as I can see, the 401 is better value for money since it's cheaper and does not have abalone (i don't like abalone).

So far so good, but a lot of reviews mention that the 401 is very very heavy, and that the EC-1000 is superior due to it's lower weight.
Can anyone tell me how heavy it is?

And are there other differences between the two guitars that I should be aware of?
it's probably around 10-12 pounds, which is the heaviest i have ever seen a les paul get.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
the EC-1000 is a very nice guitar, i recently played one and it actually sounded quite good with the EMG's, one of a first for me, as I don't like EMG's. Proof that not all guitar's sound the same with EMG's i guess haha
You can get an EC-1000 without abalone....

And it's not heavier, at least that I noticed.

And there are differences. The VF has 22 frets, the 1000 has 24. And the EC-1000 is just a better guitar. And it has locking tuners.
Quote by SPBY
it's probably around 10-12 pounds, which is the heaviest i have ever seen a les paul get.

On the other hand i guess you could argue, that the 401 VF has more sustain and a fatter tone then the EC-1000

Quote by mamosa
You can get an EC-1000 without abalone....

WHERE???
Oh and I forgot to ask: are the necks the same on both guitars?
Last edited by R0B0_Ninja at Sep 3, 2009,
i have the 401vf and it's not heavier than a Les Paul, if it is it's not by much. it's the thicker than the EC-1000 and the VF has the Duncan JB/59 pickups, not EMG's. the necks feel about the same, and honestly i dont see a whole lot of difference in the two, the 1000 might be a lil better quality, but for your sake, try both out and see if the 1000 warrants the 250$ difference.
you know, people might be saying it's heavy because it's heavier than the guitar they were using before....
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by R0B0_Ninja
On the other hand i guess you could argue, that the 401 VF has more sustain and a fatter tone then the EC-1000

WHERE???

Look at all the color options on the website, duh

And if it says they have the same neck profile, they do. READ, BOY!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Look at all the color options on the website, duh

And if it says they have the same neck profile, they do. READ, BOY!

Which website are we talking about here?
Quote by R0B0_Ninja
Which website are we talking about here?

ESP! The Official Website maybe...
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
how would active pick-ups would react on this guitar ? because I'm planning on getting a more aggresive metalish tone on this guitar .. any comment will be appreciated
Quote by Baby Joel
The 1000 is far superior in quality.
:/

Not that superior in quality. The 1000s are basically the same price as a used ESP which will own them by a mile And its not that much to get a new esp.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 11, 2010,
I've tried out both of them and I bought the 401 VF in Tobbacco Sunburst (pics on my profile), the Seymour Duncan's and the fat warm tone of the 401 VF are more suitable for my taste.
The Seymour Duncan humbucker are more versatile for diferent kinds of music (from Led Zepp to Heavy Metal), than the EMGz on the EC1000.
Some user talk about the locking tuners on the EC1000, but believe me, the Grover tuners on the EC 401 VF are great and your guitar keeps it's tunning very well.

But ultimately, you should try out both axes and make up your own mind.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Last edited by NHECOS at Aug 11, 2010,
Most ESP/LTD guitars are very light in comparison to a lot of other guitars so if someone says that the guitar is heavy it could mean in comparison to other LTD's they have played etc.

There will probably be a slight quality increase with the EC-1k's quality but not by too much. As stated there are more differences in the 1k's such as the bridge, tuners, as well as country of production (Indonesia vs. Korea).

You could also look into the EC-1000 MGO (check it out on esp's website) which is a 1000 series with passives AND no abalone.