Not sure this is supposed to go here, I'll delete if not.

I've just been listening to Ulver's Lyckantropen Themes, and I like it a lot. I also like artists who incorporate ambience into their music (Mithras and Tesseract spring to mind), and I'd quite like to find out some more bands or artists who are, for lack of a better term, 'pure' ambient. Throw me the most obvious bands you can think of, I am a complete little n00blet as far as this stuff is concerned.

I'd prefer stuff that is quite dark if possible, but I'm not too concerned about whether it's minimalist or not or anything like that.

Quote by Cianyx
Tim Hecker

Tim hecker is awesome. An Imaginary Country is one of my favourite albums of the year so far.

As korinaflyingv said, Brain Eno is essential. I got the four ambient albums on vinyl recently and, although they're all great, my favourite is the first one - "Music for Airports".

Also check out...
Stars of the Lid (after Eno, probably the best ambient music I can think of)
Windy & Carl
The Dead Texan
Gas

"darker" ambient artists...
:zoviet*france:
William Basinski (The Disintegration Loops Pts 1 - 4 are my favourites although these might not be the best places to start. Check out Melancholia)
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Sep 5, 2009,
^Nice choices

Bohren & Der Club of Gore

Pretty dark stuff. Not really in the vein of Ulver but dark.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Brian ****ING Eno obviously.

Tim Hecker is great.

Lately, I've been listening to ambient techno like The Field and Aphex Twin.

Yesterday and Today is great, one of my favourites from the year. Is there anything else you'd recommend by this guy?
From Here We Go Sublime is great. i liked it better than what i've heard from the new one.

Music For Airports actually does sound really good while in an airport.
The Album Leaf is my favourite ambient act, although its not dark at all I recommend anyone to check him out. Darkstorm Entwined's Ashtorath and Hoedh's Hymnvs are good dark ambient albums.
The Caretaker, Procer Veneficus, Beyond Sensory Experience, Quetzolcoatl, and Helios.
Quote by somewhat_here
From Here We Go Sublime is great. i liked it better than what i've heard from the new one.

sweet, thanks. I'll check that out.
Altus is ****ing amazing. You can download all of his work for free from his website www.altusmusic.ca. I like 24 Hours and the Elements series, I need some time to become familiar with the rest of his work.
------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Don't know if it falls under ambient (big noob on the area) but I figured I might just as well post this here. Not sure if much of you youngsters know Carl Sagan but if you do
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Try Aphex Twin, Brian Eno, Deutsch Nepal, Lull, Thomas Köner, BoC, David Bowie's Low (the latter half or so), and Steve Roach.
Quote by simmy17
Try Aphex Twin, Brian Eno, Deutsch Nepal, Lull, Thomas Köner, BoC, David Bowie's Low (the latter half or so), and Steve Roach.

This. Aphex Twin's first ambient album isn't really ambient (ambient techno, which is quite different - it's awesome nonetheless) but Selected Ambient Works II is "pure" ambient. There's some filler, but the stuff that is good, is REALLY good. Boards of Canada isn't that ambient, but they're pretty ethereal and you should listen to them anyway.
Hammock make some amazing music. Just two guitars, a lot of cleans and some ebows.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.