Hello all, I have been trolling craigslist and found this item, with description:

"Peavey Standard Series 260

Ok.Here is the story.I have older (Late 70's) Peavey Standard Series H. Model 260. I don't know why they call it a 260 when it is rated at 400 watts. Cosmeticly it is in super great condition.comes with covers. I have the amp head and the cab.. 15 in speaker.
The amp makes a hum when it is on. if you tap on the volume knob the hum is reduced. i am not a amp tech so i am not sure what is wrong. Maybe just a pot or a pot cleaning. It came with a guitar i bought awhile ago. I thought someone could use it because I won't .. "

The guy wants $100 US for it or he will trade something musical.

My question is: is it a good deal? worth it? is the guy full of sh!t?

I have added the two pictures that are up on craigslist.

I want to play mostly thrash metal (Metallica, Megadeth) and hair metal (Van Halen, Motley Crue, etc.) and I am not opposed to getting pedals to make up for what the amp can't/won't do. Any cleans that the amp can do would just be a bonus. I currently only have a Danelectro Honey Tone. I don't currently play with anyone else, but I would like to once I get better.

I have read (mostly on UG) that the guitar is not as important as the amp. I have a Squier Affinity Strat HSS that I am happy with for the time being.

Well, thanks for reading and any advice you might have.
Attachments:
260-1.jpg
260-2.jpg
"If you can hum it, you can play it!"

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP: LTD M-10
Marshall MD10CD
Last edited by MetlHed94 at Sep 3, 2009,
isnt that a bass amp?

400w with a 15 inch speaker would seem to back that up.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

That is kinda what I was thinking based on what I have found on the internet in other places...so is that a "no"?

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD
judging from the pics and the information youve given, id say im 99% sure its a bass amp. 80% bass amps will sound like puke for guitar, especially trasistor bass amps.

so you play more metal stuff, and you currently practise on your own but wouldnt be opposed to jamming?

how much money you got to play with? and where you from?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Not much...my wife just had a knee operation that is kinda sucking up a lot of money. Damn health care anyway.

I was also thinking about a Peavey Vypyr, a 30 if I can come up with enough money. If not, a 15 will have to do for now.

I live in Salt Lake City, UT...

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD
peavey vypyrs are okay, but ive heard of one or two reliability issues. id say go with a vypyr but get the extended warranty.

it might be worth asking, what genres/s do you play ?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Mostly metal but also hard rock.

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD
the roland cube is sort of renound as THE metal modelling amp, but vypyrs seem to have good hi-gain models too. any music stores around you can try out some amps in?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Yes, there is a store close to where I live. The guy who was there the one time I went in was kind of a dick to my 5-year old son, so I am not sure if I want to go back. However, we do have Guitar Center and Bert Murdock's Music around...I will have to see what I can find. Thanks.

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD
i try stuff at local stores but i rarely ever buy there, because i know i find it cheaper online.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

That is a good point. I am also not opposed to going used, if I can find the right deal.

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD