My friend, contrary to my advice , bought an ESP LTD Viper 400 on eBay. He bought it because he got a good deal on it (even though I told him not to).

Now, while that is a very nice guitar, the problem is, he needs more versatility. He likes playing some blues, light rock, and also harder stuff. So he used up a lot of his budget on a not very versatile guitar.

So with this new development, I need to find him a good amp and a pedal or two to help him out. We will be looking used, and trying not to pay RP.

I thought maybe this amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

Now, is that amp good? I've tried the more expensive Valvekings and they were awesome.

And what pedals do you recommend? An OD pedal or a dist. pedal (he obviously needs one of these)? Or a multi-fx pedal?

EDIT: Also considering Epi Valve Jr. Halfstack.
Last edited by mamosa at Sep 3, 2009,
I don't personally like the small VKs. You could get a VK112 for about the same price, I think, or get a Vypyr.

Get a bad monkey OD, and use the amp's distortion =]
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
whats the budget for both items? closest major city? can he buy used?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
im not a fan of VKs so im going to go ahead and warn you away from those. In the long run, the reliability issues and sheer amount of stuff you need to make it sound good will catch up with him.

id say get something like a Epi valve junior halfstack or head and cab (halfstack sounds less boxy) and a TS808 or TS9 for the driven sounds and a dano metal II for the more distorted sounds.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Yes I was thinking he'd only need an OD pedal. Are there any other essential pedals? I don't think he needs wah or fuzz, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

And between the TS9 and Bad Monkey, which is better? I haven't tried the Bad Monkey, but I have tried the TS9.

We will be looking used. NYC is closest major city.

EDIT: And between VK and Epi Valve Jr. Halfstack, which should I go for? I haven't tried either.
Last edited by mamosa at Sep 3, 2009,
Epi Valve is single channel with no EQ.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by mamosa
Yes I was thinking he'd only need an OD pedal. Are there any other essential pedals? I don't think he needs wah or fuzz, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

And between the TS9 and Bad Monkey, which is better? I haven't tried the Bad Monkey, but I have tried the TS9.

We will be looking used. NYC is closest major city.

EDIT: And between VK and Epi Valve Jr. Halfstack, which should I go for? I haven't tried either.

where are you in NY?
i would go with the Bad Monkey since its cheaper and also look at Ibanez Psycho's thread about the mods.

and what do you mean by Harder stuff.... metal?
and does he gig?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Chikao42
Epi Valve is single channel with no EQ.

the VK sounds like puke...atleast to my ears anyway.

the Valve Jr. sounds good right out of the box.

maybe you should get a Marshall Class 5.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
the VK sounds like puke...atleast to my ears anyway.

the Valve Jr. sounds good right out of the box.

Funny, I know plenty of people who would say the Valve Jr. is just as bad, if not worse than the Valveking without mods.

OP, see if you can find any of the following:

1. Used Peavey XXX
2. Used Peavey Ultra Plus
3. Used Line 6 Flextone III
4. Used Valveking + an EQ pedal + speaker (an OD isn't entirely necessary for metal, unless your pickups are low output)
5. Crate Vintage Club series
6. Ampeg VH140c
7. Ampeg SS
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??