Okay so it's my birthday tomorrow and i've been told i'll have roughly £300 to spend on new gear.

I currently own a Peavey Classic 30 and although the cleans are fantastic and the distortion is good for classic rock, i need possibly an overdrive or maybe a distortion pedal to take the gain up to metal levels. I'm looking for a metallica sound, opeth IF possible im unsure if the classic 30 can go there.

I was thinking of possible saving up a tad more and purchasing the Boss GT-10. Although the stompboxes wont sound as good or as versatile as the real thing it would be more convenient and useful for recording.

Playing on an Ibanez RG350MDX if that's any help.

Thanks in advance.
I have a Boss MT2 and an ME70. I believe I can get any sound from that combination, or anything I want. The ME70's distortion wasn't grinding enough for me.
Quote by hsteve3
I have a Boss MT2 and an ME70. I believe I can get any sound from that combination, or anything I want. The ME70's distortion wasn't grinding enough for me.

That sounds promising, i'm just unsure as to whether to buy the multi-effects or go for a long term pedalboard and get the all the individual ones.
Some of the best stompboxes (I've used and heard of) for distortion are the following.

Mesa V-Twin - Expensive, but worth it.
MI Crunchbox - Always hear good things.
Full Tone OCD - (An OD pedal, but should pair nicly with your 30)
Kelly Modded MT-2 (Used this a few times, freaking sweet if you like high gain)
Pro-Co Rat (Used the original a slew of times. Very vintage sounding. Has that 80's high gain metal sound)
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Your amp should be fine for the bands you named. As for distortions, here are a few I would really recommend.

Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal: Weird fuzzy high gain pedal, sounds great and can be found for very cheap! I regret selling mine

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret: Marshall in a box, sounds AMAZING, pretty versatile, and you can use it with an 18v power supply which, in my experience, gives a greater headroom and more glassy tone.

Lovepedal Plexi: Like the DLS, but a little woolier. Think Marshall 1959whatever amp vs JCM800 I guess.

ProCo Rat: Amazing distortion, like the HM-2 it's a little fuzzy but way warmer and more defined. Dead silent when not playing, even when engaged.

Good luck!
Rothwell FTW, look into the switchblade or hellbender! Trust me you wont be dissapointed. Look on the pro guitar shop videos of it
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly