I just got my new LTD ec-1000, played it for a while yesterday, and when i plugged it in today, the EMG 81 in the bridge only produced a clean tone, regardless of what settings the guitar and amp were on. The 60 however, acted as normal....

So, any idea's what's wrong?
batteries?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Would that keep one working and stop the other? I still get the clean tone, the gain fades in and out on the 81... I'll try anyway...
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Would that keep one working and stop the other? I still get the clean tone, the gain fades in and out on the 81... I'll try anyway...

it probably needs some re-soldering.
feel free to add me
Well i have no idea how i would do that, or what i would solder... I've only had it a day dammit, now i'm gonna end up paying to make it work...
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Well i have no idea how i would do that, or what i would solder... I've only had it a day dammit, now i'm gonna end up paying to make it work...

take it back to GC?
and get a new one?
feel free to add me
probably a wiring problem
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
take it back to GC?
and get a new one?

Can;t take it back, tried it in a shop, bought it on the internet... It would take ages to send it and get it back again, + postage is expensive + i have no way of sending it (no box big enough)
probably something to do with the wires that deliver the battery power to the 81. that's my guess since without the battery it would only produce a clean tone.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
find a friend who knows how to solder? Does it work fine if you jiggle the toggle switch around? Keep playing with your toggle switch and see if you get full gain at some point; my Les Paul does that once in a while
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
It does come back if i keep changing the toggle switch, but only for a minute or so, then it cuts out again....
sounds like the switch isn't making full contact. open up the control cavity and see if the switch is dirty or something.
Seems to have sorted itself out - I put a new battery in and it continued to fade out, but then i just kept toggling the switch up and down, and now it *seems* to be fine. I;ll see though....
It's doing it again >_< It comes back fine if i flick the toggle switch to the neck pickup, back down, and repeat that a few times. Then the Bridge pickup will be fine for a while. then it stops again, and i have to flick the toggle switch a few times.... Does this suggest soldering is wrong, or the toggle switch?
faulty and or dirty switch i'd say.
If that's the case, how i can check if it's dirty? And what do i do if it is? I took the cover off the switch, and tried to look in, but the switch is behind a load of wires etc. and i have no idea how i can get it out. I may end up taking it to a shop just to be certain....

edit: I just changed to the neck pup, then straight back to the bridge pup, and the bridge cut out. Switched back to the neck and straight back to the bridge and the bridge was fine. So, i guess it is the switch?
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Sep 3, 2009,
It's a bad solder. This happened on my starter guitar. A visit to the electronics department in my school and it was fine. Open the back up and look for some loose connections, or check the particular pickup's connections.

After skim reading, it's probably teh switch.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Should i take it into the shop to check if it is a bad solder? I couldn't see anything when i looked, but i don't really know hat i was looking for. Everything seemed connected to the pickups though.... Can't get to the actual switch easily though, so i can't really check if it's clean....
Seen a suggestion about spraying compressed air into the toggle switch cavity (or whatever you call it :P) and then flicking the switch a few times to get rid of dirt - should i try this? Could it work? Because it would save me a lot of money lol
I would try that. it could just be dirt, but I would really suggest taking it in to a shop. They wont rip you off hopefully if its just a small fix. My local shop would do that kind of a repair for like $10 tops.
Well either i send it back and get it repaired free, or i take it too a shop and pay to get it fixed. postage to send it would be a lot though... So it would be worth a try with the compressed air imo. Although i could just use a normal pump lol....
cans of compressed air are really cheap, if i remember correctly they're <$1. i'd try that and if it doesn't help a new switch is probably in order.
Quote by mikeyElite
cans of compressed air are really cheap, if i remember correctly they're <$1. i'd try that and if it doesn't help a new switch is probably in order.

They're like £15 over here!
i remember seeing them really cheap somewhere i just don't remember where now, but they can be had for around $3 or so from Staples.
Quote by mikeyElite
i remember seeing them really cheap somewhere i just don't remember where now, but they can be had for around $3 or so from Staples.

My father bought a can of it to clean his car stereo, and he moans at me every time I use it to get the dust out of my computer how expensive it was. They put butane and propane in it for some reason. Meh.