Page 1 of 3
Courtesy of Sky News

Women who run for cover when coming face-to-face with a spider have been offered a new explanation for their phobia: it is in their genes.

Research at a US university found females associate the eight-legged critters with fear more than males, most of whom react with indifference.

Psychologist Dr David Rakison from Pittsburgh's Carnegie Mellon University tested 10 girls and 10 boys, all aged 11-months, with pictures of spiders to see how they reacted.

He showed them images of a spider next to a fearful cartoon face and a spider next to a happy face.

Dr Rakison's report, published in the New Scientist, states that the girls looked at the picture containing a happy face for longer than the scared one.

However, the boys looked at both images for an equal amount of time.

He concluded that the girls found the happy face puzzling as they were expecting to see the spider paired with a frightened face.

The psychologist said these tests show that girls have a genetic predispostion to fear the arachnids in contrast with boys who do not.

"The experiments show that female 11-month-olds - but not males of the same age - learn the relation between a negative facial expression and fear-relevant stimuli such as snakes and spiders," Dr Rakison reported in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior.

He linked the difference in results to our hunter-gatherer ancestry when he says women had to be wary of dangerous animals to protect their children, whereas men used more risky behaviour in order to be successful hunters.

Past surveys have shown that almost 6% of the population have a phobia of snakes and around 4% are scared of spiders.

However, women are around four times more likely to be affected than men.

Men now have no excuse but to help a woman in need when next summoned to remove an unwelcome visitor from the bath.

tl;dr women are genetically afraid of spiders, men aren't

BS or Plausible?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Someone was on the Yahoo page. Also spiders are werid so maybe.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Plausible, but hardly scientific. They might've gotten conditioning before the experiments.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well, that's clearly not true. I'm terrified of spiders, and I know a lot of other guys who are.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well, that's clearly not true. I'm terrified of spiders, and I know a lot of other guys who are.

As far as you know.....

the plot thickens
It seems pretty stupid but will now be used as ammunition against one of my mates, who is already subject to near-constant abuse for various things. Now he is also a woman.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
I hate spiders too.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah terrified of spiders, I've seen one in my room a couple times that's a little smaller than my hand, & I have nearly the biggest hands from my friends (we like to measure weird things ) I've slept downstairs twice because of it! >_>
i took a stats course last year and one of the subjects covered explained how these experiments work. its not saying that EVERY boy tested was indifferent and EVERY girl was afraid of it. it compares the average reaction between the genders, and based on the result, more than likely had an acceptable p-value to provide evidence for their conclusion. i think its very plausible, although they definitely shouldve used a larger sample size for more accurate results.
Quote by Skaliveson
BS its a conditioning thing... girls are basically TRAINED to be afraid of them.

thats what i was thinking, not just girls either...my sister keeps telling her son not to go the wardrobe or the spiders will get him...she's making him petrified of them.....i personally like spiders
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by Skaliveson
BS its a conditioning thing... girls are basically TRAINED to be afraid of them.

This.

You would have to do this test on newborns for it to actually have any real merit. By the time you're 10, you've already seen your dad kill spiders for your mom.
im scared of spiders, unless the girlfriend is here then when she screams i suddenly can pick em up and throw em out the window ... weird
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
im scared of spiders, unless the girlfriend is here then when she screams i suddenly can pick em up and throw em out the window ... weird

It's not weird, it's simple natural science.

A man can summon up superhuman physical strength and mental courage if it will get him sex.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
When I was on the forums the title said 'Why are women afraid of my...'. I was expecting a different question
I finally have the opportunity to use a Frankie Boyle quote.

In other words, Scientists have a lot of time on their hands.

"Shall we have a go at curing cancer?"

"No, I'm going to see how many Fruit Pastiles it takes to choke a kestral."

Awesome.
I dont know what scares me more. Spiders, or the fact that that means im a girl
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
I hate the idea of touching a spider. Give me a spatula or something and i'll beat the **** out of one, but I couldn't touch one. It'd creep me out far too much. And i'm a guy.
Quote by aaciseric
I hate the idea of touching a spider. Give me a spatula or something and i'll beat the **** out of one, but I couldn't touch one. It'd creep me out far too much. And i'm a guy.

Same for me.

"Dr Rakison's report, published in the New Scientist, states that the girls looked at the picture containing a happy face for longer than the scared one.

However, the boys looked at both images for an equal amount of time.

He concluded that the girls found the happy face puzzling as they were expecting to see the spider paired with a frightened face."

This sounds like BS to me.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
I call bull**** as well.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Im a girl and i HATE spiders so i guess i fit into that stereotype....i like spiderman though
Quote by magnus_maximus
I fucking hate scientists.

All of them?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
it's a load of BSbecause of the happy face thing. you might as well have put a spider next to an icecream and a heap of mud. what are the girls going to look at? icecream coz they like it. boys will look at both because they like both. small boys tend to like scary things eg dinosaurs and so will happily look at an both faces, whereas small girls like nice things so look at the smiley face and not the angry face. the spider is completely irrelevant. they should have followed it with the same test with chocolate instead of spiders, i bet they would have got the same result.
I know a lot of guys who're scared of spiders. Apparently you subconsciously fear them because of the way they move; they're the only animal that's knees are above their bodies as they move.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I hate spiders. We have a lot of those big fuzzy striped ones around here...those are the worst. It's like they're having seizures as they're moving.
Nope, no sig here.
Lots of people are afraid of my avatar.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Maybe...me and most guys I know are pretty unfased by bugs, yet many of my female friends are.

I do think the way they tried to prove it is pretty terrible. I mean, timing how long someone looks at a picture then assuming why (since they can't prove anything with children this young) doesn't seem very scientific...
I don't think the whole hunter-gatherer theory holds up at all...I mean, look at childhood toys. Girls play with dolls, and boys play with weird looking action figures and bugs and stuff.

It's more the culture now affecting each gender than some genetic predisposition.
The.
Quote by magnus_maximus
The ones who come out with redundant shit like this, yes.

Somewhere there's got to be a labfull of the crappest scientists ever, just producing rubbish like this so news stations have got some material on the slow days.
Quote by rabidguitarist
It's not weird, it's simple natural science.

A man can summon up superhuman physical strength and mental courage if it will get him sex.

Does it really require super human physical strength to get rid of a spider?

Quote by magnus_maximus
I fucking hate scientists.

What's wrong with scientists?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by Inimical
This.

You would have to do this test on newborns for it to actually have any real merit. By the time you're 10, you've already seen your dad kill spiders for your mom.

try reading it next time. they picked 10 boys and 10 girls all aged 11 months
Quote by guitar-guy01
tl;dr women are dumb

fixed

enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
Page 1 of 3