I'm about to restring my guitar and I was thinking of taking all the strings off so I can give it a good cleaning and adjust the truss rod before I put new strings on. It won't take more than an hour or so, would this be fine to do? I doubt it would cause any long term damage but I thought I should ask anyway.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Thanks, just wanted some clarification
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
You leave the strings on when you adjust the truss rod.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Cleaning... all strings off.

Adjusting... all strings on.

Simple.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Cleaning... all strings off.

Adjusting... all strings on.

Simple.

Yeah, I was thinking that. You really can't adjust the truss rod without the strings, because you need the strings to measure stuff.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Adding to the rest here, won't hurt you to take off the strings and clean it up, but restring before you adjust the truss rod, or the purpose of it will be lost.
Why would you adjsut the truss rod if it doesn't need adjusting.... You don't just polish the guitar then give it a good ole truss rod adjustment... Thats's a specific way to fix a specific problem... Don't adjsut it unless you have that problem... (And no, it's not "my action is high....")
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I've had intonation problems that can't be solved no matter how much I try turning the screws on the saddle and certain strings give this strange aftersound, almost like an echo.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
its a common misconception that removing all the strings will do something to the guitar. itll be fine.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I've had intonation problems that can't be solved no matter how much I try turning the screws on the saddle and certain strings give this strange aftersound, almost like an echo.

If your strings are old and rusty the intonation will be ****. Do all adjustments when the new strings are on and tell us if your intonation gets better. The only thing your truss rod can do is straighten out your neck. It's not a proper tool for fixing intonation.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
If your strings are old and rusty the intonation will be ****. Do all adjustments when the new strings are on and tell us if your intonation gets better. The only thing your truss rod can do is straighten out your neck. It's not a proper tool for fixing intonation.

The new strings are on and it doesn't matter how new or old the strings are, I still can't get it properly intonated.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Then its tome to take it in to a tech for a full setup.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77