Page 1 of 2
in school i was often asked that question by my peers. but could never really give a good answer, so i just bashed country instead (hey they bashed my genre with stereotypes. i may as well do the same). anyways. recently I actually thought of a great way to explain it. and my question is to you guys is, why do YOU listen to metal?

heres my reason:

As far as i can see, metal at its core is about empowerment. its a celebration of the power inside us all, the power to stand up and fight for what you believe in, speak your mind, and change for no one but yourself. it teaches you that if you want something, you should go out and do whatever it takes to get it. at its heart, metal is the most motivating music out there.

one kid told my I'll go to hell for what i listen to. well you know what? bring it on, me and the devil will get along famously.

tl;dr: LONG LIVE METAL
That description fits better for hip-hop for me

There's been various threads discussing about this matter already though
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Because I like doing so.

What do I need, a prescription? Ffs.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Kepulix
That description fits better for hip-hop for me

some hip hop. yes. other hip hop teaches you to buy gold teeth and ruin classic cars by putting in hydraulics and other materialistic bull ****
I listen because it takes up all those pent-up emotions and releases them in the greatest way possible. It describes everything that I feel. It symbolizes my struggle to survive and to keep proceeding with life. It describes the emotions that go through myself when something bad or god happens. I love metal. thats the simplest way to describe it to me. I love metal
Quote by webbtje
I like it.

That's probably what I answered in all the other threads like this.

Quote by LordPino
Because I like doing so.

What do I need, a prescription? Ffs.

+1

This is the only reason you need.
Also, threads like these tend to bring out some fucking hilarious responses. There have already been a couple.

WEBBDIT: There go another two.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 3, 2009,
Probably the intricate guitar work, the harmonies, the insane drumming and the knowledge that other people are probably bitching and moaning but are getting drowned out!
because i like the intricate guitar work, melody, insane drumming, and atmosphere it gives off, but NOT because im brooding and hate the world

EDIT: damnit ^ got in right before me and said basically the same thing

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Because I'm not into simple repetitive ****, and I like scream/grunt vocals.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by SPBY
because i like the intricate guitar work, melody, insane drumming, and atmosphere it gives off, but NOT because im brooding and hate the world

EDIT: damnit ^ got in right before me and said basically the same thing

Wow... creepy :O
Cos it has like tech guitar and drumming.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by webbtje
n screems

Yeh yeh. Do'nt like singin, thats fr like greenday and stuff lol
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Because it sounds good to me.
I always lol at "BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL POWERFUL AND MAKES ME LESS ANGRY"
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Because there's plenty of metal besides death metal, where it is overassociated with by dumb****s, where there's some very great musical stuff happening. How about Iron Maiden, Opeth, personally I like power metal a lot too, Kamelot for the win
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by ItWillDo
Because I'm not into simple repetitive ****, and I like scream/grunt vocals.

Definitely that. No question.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I listen to metal because it's a prerequisite to moderating this forum.

No. Seriously.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Kepulix
That description fits better for oldschool/underground hip-hop for me

Fixed.

I like it, simple as that. And being told you're going to hell for something as simple as musical preference is completely retarded.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by I_hate_kyle
I think metal is a pretty cool guy. eh plays technical riffs and doesnt afraid of anything.

Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I like it because there's so much diversity. you could put any instrument or playing style into a metal and/or punk (cowpunk or symphonic black metal anyone??) song nowadays and chances are it'll sound good and will stand out. The main reasons i dislike pop and rap is that it's all the same ideas and techniques used over and over again and because of the fact that most mainstream popular music is created for a profit. Plus, i like how metal and punk (i like punk as much as metal) have a D.I.Y. attitude and are all about living life how YOU want to. Some popular kid in my school came up to me and asked me why i like metal (at the time i was listening to black sabbath's "jack the stripper/faeries wear boots" and he said "eww it's to screamy lol") and i said that i don't want to listen to fake music or try to fit into a crowd of people doing douchey conformist stuff. he then proceded to call me a homophobic slur and walked away. end of life story

tl;dr-penis
The amount of diversity in this one genre of music is mind-blowing. That's what drew me to it. That and guitar-wise, it's quite challenging, so I love playing things that require days, weeks, months of practice. Keeps me busy. Oh, and I love teh sweepzors, so metal is where that's at.

Quote by technicolour
because it makes me better than most other people

this is my favourite reply
Primarily? Cause I like it.

Also tho, because its profoundly interesting, has a wealth of avenues to explore, and once you dig a little deeper, you can really find some gems. And cause its more musically interesting than most else, without just becoming too much, like some jazz or classical.
TS is sure of that he is the "tr00est metulz" of all time.

Anyways, I listen too it because I like it.
And when I'm angry I listen to the metulz because it's so angry!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes my anger rly away!!!!!!! RAARRJHG METULZ!!!

I just ate some soggy corn flakes. Made me rly angry.
Not I have to go listen to some metul.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean
TS is sure of that he is the "tr00est metulz" of all time.

Anyways, I listen too it because I like it.
And when I'm angry I listen to the metulz because it's so angry!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes my anger rly away!!!!!!! RAARR METULZ!!!

Not really. otherwise you wouldnt find tokio hotel on my itunes would you?
Quote by Wylde14
Not really. otherwise you wouldnt find tokio hotel on my itunes would you?

The "Tr00es metulz" is subjective.
Belive it or not.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by Wylde14
in school i was often asked that question by my peers. but could never really give a good answer, so i just bashed country instead (hey they bashed my genre with stereotypes. i may as well do the same). anyways. recently I actually thought of a great way to explain it. and my question is to you guys is, why do YOU listen to metal?

heres my reason:

As far as i can see, metal at its core is about empowerment. its a celebration of the power inside us all, the power to stand up and fight for what you believe in, speak your mind, and change for no one but yourself. it teaches you that if you want something, you should go out and do whatever it takes to get it. at its heart, metal is the most motivating music out there.

one kid told my I'll go to hell for what i listen to. well you know what? bring it on, me and the devil will get along famously.

tl;dr: LONG LIVE METAL

Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Because I like four-fingered diminished thingies.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Page 1 of 2