equalisers allow you to dial in treble, mids and bass frequencies.

an EQ pedal will tell you the frequency of each slider and you choose how much of that particular frequency you want in your sound. EQs can also be used to cut frequencies such as treble to give more of a rhythm/fat sound, or boost treble to give more twang.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

so you can dial in more treble, bass or mid than your amp can give?
also what is a loop?
In a sense, yes, you can "push" more than the amp controls would allow you to do. So say you love your midrange, and you have the mids cranked on the amp, adding an EQ with the mids cranked can get the mids to stand out even more. But keep in mind that an EQ boosts or cuts a given frequency range, it doesn't add what wasn't there to begin with.

It's really more technically complex than that, but that's the easy answer. People get degrees in this stuff.

Wiki is your friend - this should keep you busy for a while:

Wiki on EQs

Wiki on FX loops
so an effects loop will make certain sounds i want bolder and more definite? Kind of like an equalizer except clearer? That's what I'm getting out of it
Quote by pedroskins
so an effects loop will make certain sounds i want bolder and more definite? Kind of like an equalizer except clearer? That's what I'm getting out of it

...wat
an eq will allow better control over all your frequencies, mid bass treble and sometimes gain.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION